LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Issue Matching Title # to Car

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Issue Matching Title # to Car -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Ketronj281989
08-06-2020 @ 5:25 AM

As I am preparing the car for an out of state inspection (car moving FROM OH to my HOME KY) I have run into a dilemma. After inspecting the front frame and transmission inspection plate area, I have located both matching serial numbers of the car *18-2892373*

Both numbers on the frame and transmission area are matching! This is great news. The issue is the title identification number. The title ID number shows: 3051390. I cannot find this number on the car.

My question is, would this be a type of number that resides on the engine block or somewhere else on the car. Possibly a production type number that all model 68 cars had in 1936? I am running out of ideas and have scoured much of the car looking for this number. Still trying to match, if not able I will run into major problems. The car has been in OH since 1936, perhaps a reason the serial number was not recorded or lost, who knows.

Would this number be another type of number on the frame or engine components that would ID this car?

Thanks,
Jon

juergen
08-06-2020 @ 5:37 AM

The title you have should have read 18-3051390 and is for another car. In some states you can retitle your car with the correct number by getting a security bond and bill of sale and going through your DOT.

silverchief
08-06-2020 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

You could be in for a real hassle, including purchasing a bond for several hundred dollars that is supposed to insure the car is not stolen. My 1946 had been easily titled in three states before I moved to my present location. Here, because it is antique, it was required that a state trooper verify the identifying number on the car. It was not legible on the frame or on the transmission. During the next month I made six trips to various BMV offices, a trip to the local state patrol headquarters, and a trip to the "Citizens Help Committee" in the governor's office. (They did nothing.)

Leaving the Governor's office I passed by the office of my state representative. He was not in, but thinking I had nothing to lose, I left a written memo detailing my predicament with his secretary. Forty eight hours later I received a phone call from the BMV advising the title for my car was in the mail.

Lesson learned. I later returned to thank him personally, and hope you don't run into the same nightmare.

therunwaybehind
08-06-2020 @ 9:27 AM

This is why I make political donations now that I am retired. I once tried visiting my representative but they were moving their office. Then I tried a different representative with a higher profile on the other side of the state where my girl friend had moved. I was able to get a detailed map of how that county and district was planned to develop so I was assured that her home would not be condemned in at least the next 10 years. Each of us needs a representative beyond museum memberships and charities for the times when we are truly out in the woods. Yes, they lose elections , even primaries, and sensitive issues may come up that we would not want our name on a wall or a brick.

3w2
08-06-2020 @ 5:54 PM
Senior

Your problem could be even more complex if you should draw a KY registrar who knows anything about early Ford VINs, i.e. their engine numbers. There were no seven-digit engine numbers in the '32 model year. The highest documented number of a U.S.-built '32 is 18-208XXX. This means that the transmission is not original to the car and that the number on the frame has been altered. While it has been a long time since I titled a car in Ohio, the historic practice was that the number of the title did not appear anywhere on the car. Hopefully you have a notarized bill of sale and if so, I'd go hat in hand to the registrar and attempt to title the car from scratch using the seven-digit engine/transmission/frame number. (No identification numbers appeared on the engine itself originally, only on the transmission bell housing and on three places on top of the left frame rail with only the forward-most of those numbers visible with the body on the frame. If you ever pull the body off the frame, I'll bet it won't be a seven digit number that you encounter about midway and just forward of the kick up for the rear axle.)

3w2
08-06-2020 @ 6:19 PM
Senior

The more I think about your situation, the more it begins to have the odor of "stolen car" about it. It is highly unusual to change the frame number when a later transmission is installed rather than change the number on the transmission and leave the original number on the frame untouched as that's the number it had been titled with originally. Someone was either incredibly stupid or had a reason to disconnect the car's identification from its original titled i.d. and if the latter, the #1 suspect for a reason would be grand theft auto unless the car is made up of major parts from various cars.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 8-6-20 @ 6:23 PM

MG
08-06-2020 @ 11:59 PM
Senior

You don't say what year your car is. Is it a '32 or a '36?

Given the matching numbers on the frame and transmission, I suspect that a unique number was assigned to the car when the car was first registered in Ohio - a registration procedure unique to Ohio back in 1936. Maybe in the Ohio DMV Registration Data Base, if they input that number, a record of your car will appear which shows the actual serial number your car has - *18-2892373* . I recommend that you go to the Ohio DMV and quiz them as to the origin of the number on the title slip you have.

Ketronj281989
08-07-2020 @ 6:59 AM

juergen,

I am thinking the same thing. This car came from a collection of 50 cars. Upon death of that owner several years ago, the daughters were in charge of the estate and sold this 1936 Ford to the person (2018) I purchased it from (2020). I may go the route of a re-title with matching serial number to this car if it comes down to fixing the problem. Thanks for your input.

Jon

Ketronj281989
08-07-2020 @ 7:01 AM

silverchief,

I figured so at this stage of the game. I should of looked into the matter a little more seriously prior to purchasing the car. Thank you for sharing your experience, I will use this as a model while further progress is made on the title.

Jon

Ketronj281989
08-07-2020 @ 7:02 AM

therunwaybehind,

Thank you for sharing your experience and input on the matter.

Jon

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org