Topic: Issue Matching Title # to Car

Ketronj281989    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:25 AM
  As I am preparing the car for an out of state inspection (car moving FROM OH to my HOME KY) I have run into a dilemma. After inspecting the front frame and transmission inspection plate area, I have located both matching serial numbers of the car *18-2892373*

Both numbers on the frame and transmission area are matching! This is great news. The issue is the title identification number. The title ID number shows: 3051390. I cannot find this number on the car.

My question is, would this be a type of number that resides on the engine block or somewhere else on the car. Possibly a production type number that all model 68 cars had in 1936? I am running out of ideas and have scoured much of the car looking for this number. Still trying to match, if not able I will run into major problems. The car has been in OH since 1936, perhaps a reason the serial number was not recorded or lost, who knows.

Would this number be another type of number on the frame or engine components that would ID this car?

Thanks,
Jon

juergen    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:37 AM
  The title you have should have read 18-3051390 and is for another car. In some states you can retitle your car with the correct number by getting a security bond and bill of sale and going through your DOT.

silverchief    -- 08-06-2020 @ 8:59 AM
  You could be in for a real hassle, including purchasing a bond for several hundred dollars that is supposed to insure the car is not stolen. My 1946 had been easily titled in three states before I moved to my present location. Here, because it is antique, it was required that a state trooper verify the identifying number on the car. It was not legible on the frame or on the transmission. During the next month I made six trips to various BMV offices, a trip to the local state patrol headquarters, and a trip to the "Citizens Help Committee" in the governor's office. (They did nothing.)

Leaving the Governor's office I passed by the office of my state representative. He was not in, but thinking I had nothing to lose, I left a written memo detailing my predicament with his secretary. Forty eight hours later I received a phone call from the BMV advising the title for my car was in the mail.

Lesson learned. I later returned to thank him personally, and hope you don't run into the same nightmare.

therunwaybehind    -- 08-06-2020 @ 9:27 AM
  This is why I make political donations now that I am retired. I once tried visiting my representative but they were moving their office. Then I tried a different representative with a higher profile on the other side of the state where my girl friend had moved. I was able to get a detailed map of how that county and district was planned to develop so I was assured that her home would not be condemned in at least the next 10 years. Each of us needs a representative beyond museum memberships and charities for the times when we are truly out in the woods. Yes, they lose elections , even primaries, and sensitive issues may come up that we would not want our name on a wall or a brick.

3w2    -- 08-06-2020 @ 5:54 PM
  Your problem could be even more complex if you should draw a KY registrar who knows anything about early Ford VINs, i.e. their engine numbers. There were no seven-digit engine numbers in the '32 model year. The highest documented number of a U.S.-built '32 is 18-208XXX. This means that the transmission is not original to the car and that the number on the frame has been altered. While it has been a long time since I titled a car in Ohio, the historic practice was that the number of the title did not appear anywhere on the car. Hopefully you have a notarized bill of sale and if so, I'd go hat in hand to the registrar and attempt to title the car from scratch using the seven-digit engine/transmission/frame number. (No identification numbers appeared on the engine itself originally, only on the transmission bell housing and on three places on top of the left frame rail with only the forward-most of those numbers visible with the body on the frame. If you ever pull the body off the frame, I'll bet it won't be a seven digit number that you encounter about midway and just forward of the kick up for the rear axle.)

3w2    -- 08-06-2020 @ 6:19 PM
  The more I think about your situation, the more it begins to have the odor of "stolen car" about it. It is highly unusual to change the frame number when a later transmission is installed rather than change the number on the transmission and leave the original number on the frame untouched as that's the number it had been titled with originally. Someone was either incredibly stupid or had a reason to disconnect the car's identification from its original titled i.d. and if the latter, the #1 suspect for a reason would be grand theft auto unless the car is made up of major parts from various cars.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 8-6-20 @ 6:23 PM

MG    -- 08-06-2020 @ 11:59 PM
  You don't say what year your car is. Is it a '32 or a '36?

Given the matching numbers on the frame and transmission, I suspect that a unique number was assigned to the car when the car was first registered in Ohio - a registration procedure unique to Ohio back in 1936. Maybe in the Ohio DMV Registration Data Base, if they input that number, a record of your car will appear which shows the actual serial number your car has - *18-2892373* . I recommend that you go to the Ohio DMV and quiz them as to the origin of the number on the title slip you have.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 6:59 AM
  juergen,

I am thinking the same thing. This car came from a collection of 50 cars. Upon death of that owner several years ago, the daughters were in charge of the estate and sold this 1936 Ford to the person (2018) I purchased it from (2020). I may go the route of a re-title with matching serial number to this car if it comes down to fixing the problem. Thanks for your input.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:01 AM
  silverchief,

I figured so at this stage of the game. I should of looked into the matter a little more seriously prior to purchasing the car. Thank you for sharing your experience, I will use this as a model while further progress is made on the title.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:02 AM
  therunwaybehind,

Thank you for sharing your experience and input on the matter.

Jon

JayChicago    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:03 AM
  His car is a '36. Don't understand how '32 came into this discussion to confuse the issue.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:08 AM
  3w2,

Thank you for the guidance on looking into the suggestion of making a new title from scratch. This may be the route I have to go. I did not know that about Ohio back then. Would sure make sense around that time period.

This is a 1936 car, the transmission and front crossmember/fire wall area frame numbers match. They have never been altered, stars still present on both sets of number too. They are matching and original.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:12 AM
  MG,

The car is 1936. I will further investigate within the OH DMV Data Base. You bring up some great points. Hopefully they can shed some light on the matter. I have the factory serial number in hand now, so have at least one foot in the door should this possibly work.

Jon

MG    -- 08-07-2020 @ 10:54 AM
  JayChicago - The '18' in the serial number Ketronj has represents the 1932 Model Year. 1932 Ford aka Model 18....

3w2    -- 08-07-2020 @ 11:32 AM
  Sorry for the confusion I created by thinking of '32s. i tend to have them on my brain at all times.

The 18 prefix was used on all U.S.-built V8 Fords throughout the 1930s, except for a few '33s which carried a 40 prefix before reverting to the 18 prefix.

40 Coupe    -- 08-08-2020 @ 5:37 AM
  Why is the Title marked "conversion" ?

42wagon    -- 08-08-2020 @ 8:15 AM
  MG
The #18- prefix was used on all Ford V-8 engines starting with 18-1 in 1932 and continuing sequentially up to 1942. Ford started using different prefixes after the war. Therefore Ketron's number on the car is correct including the 18- prefix for 36. The fact that he has a title with a different number is troublesome as he cannot prove the car he is standing next to is in fact the car he purchased. What is probable is that if this car came from a collection of 50 cars he was given the wrong title by mistake.

trjford8    -- 08-08-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  In reading your post and looking at the V-8 Club's 35-36 book your car was produced in April 1936 according to the frame and transmission number. I would go to the Ohio DMV with title and a copy of the 35-36 book and show them the # on the title is incorrect. If you have any other old documents showing prior owners, etc. take the documents with you. The Ohio DMV should make the correction and explain what "conversion" means on the title. As 42 wagon suggests that title may have come from another '36 that was in the collection when the collection was sold. This may take awhile to sort this out , but it is not impossible. Some states years ago were non title states and I wonder if Ohio was one of those?

Mr Rogers    -- 08-08-2020 @ 3:34 PM
  My vote is: at some time the paper title was lost at a re-sold time. Seller provided a "bill of sale" and new buyer didn't look at body for ID #. Applied for new title and new number was next to be issued by DMV. Talking out loud .... I believe if/when you move to your new location the DMV person looking at the frame number and a Ford Doc showing authentic area ... and looking at your Bill of Sale would re-title it.

kirkstad    -- 08-09-2020 @ 10:23 AM
  My 36 has matching frame and trans. numbers. In NJ when changing a title on an antique auto it has to be mailed to Trenton,and not done at a local DMV. When I received the new title,they had added an additional number, original number being 182937169, the number they assigned was 1823937169 an easy mistake I guess. Fortunately I kept a copy of the old title and was able to get it corrected locally,but now my title reads as a corrected title which is annoying, because I will have to make sure I keep all these records to answer any new owners questions about it. If I hadn't made a copy of the old title I would of had a very difficult time getting it corrected, because the burden of prove would be on me. I do notice that my NJ title does not have a title number, but the state I purchased the car does, perhaps at some point a title number was assigned instead of the VIN. number, as in my case DMV does make mistakes.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:13 AM
  40 Coupe,

Great observation. I will look into this further. Very interesting to see this on the title!

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:15 AM
  42wagon,

Thank you for the clarification. I agree with you, wrong number to this car for sure.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:18 AM
  trjford8,

Thank you for the advice and pointers. I will utilize your guidance on this matter. I hope it can be worked out smoothly. I would like to get a title made with this car's serial number attached to it. I have the 35-36 book, what a great resource of information thus far. I will present this book to both the OH DMV and KY DMV.

Jon

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 8-10-20 @ 6:18 AM

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:21 AM
  Mr Rogers,

Yes, I agree. Thank you for your comments and input. I may first call out to the OH DMV and see what info they can provide, then present my case to KY depending on what they say.

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:24 AM
  kirkstad,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel this may be a similar case that my car could of went thru. Will be interesting to see what the results hold for this "Title" journey.

Jon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14049