LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Heater motor

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Heater motor -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

silverchief
09-14-2020 @ 9:34 AM
Senior

My heater motor in my 46 has never turned more than veery slow = easily stopped with one finger. Working wilrh a schematic - tracing motor and switch wiring has never resolved the problem.
Yesterday, following an old thread by Tom O, I hooked up a fully charged 6 volt lantern battery in lieu of the cars ignition. Fan ran forward and back but still only very slow turn over.

Power to the heater switch comes from my under the dash resistor, through a fused wire to the bottom terminal on the switch - correct.
Using a meter, I checked the voltage coming into the fuse from the resistor. 6 volts
Reinstalled the fuse in its case, and using the meter, I checked the voltage being received at the bottom terminal at the switch. 6 volts

Turning the switch 2 clicks right, very slow speed forward.
Turning the switch 2 clicks left, very slow speed in reverse.

At this point can I assume the motor is bad.? If so I will buy one of the "universal" motors from one of our vendors.
Not looking forward to tearing into the heater. Can the motor be replaced without removing the heater from the firewall.
I would appreciate any suggestions members who have done it.

Thanks very much.

cliftford
09-14-2020 @ 10:13 AM
Senior

These motors have a fast and slow speed in each direction. Turning it one click in either direction should give you a fast speed.

silverchief
09-14-2020 @ 10:43 AM
Senior

To clarify - one click or two in either direction makes no change from the very slow speed.

Bill E Bob
09-14-2020 @ 11:36 AM

May just need a cleaning and a bit of lubrication.

Aim low--Achieve your goals.

TomO
09-16-2020 @ 7:34 AM
Senior

Bill, I would not buy one of the universal motors, I would take it to a place that rebuilds starters and generators and ask them if they can check it out.

Bill you can use this procedure with your 6 volt battery in the car, just connect the green wire to the 6 volts in the car. The motor should run at full speed, if it doesn't you will have to have it serviced. You can try oiling the 2 bushings first.

There are 4 wires coming from the motor. The yellow and the green wires come from the field windings and the red and brown wires come from the brushes. If your colors have faded so they all look yellow, I use an ohm meter to make an initial guess as to which wires are from the brushes and which wires are from the field and then I use a battery hooked up to a switch to determine which of the wires used for forward and reverse direction of the motor.

Usually you can see a little of the green cast on the green wire and the red color on the red wire. If you connect your ohm meter between the green wire and the yellow wire, you will have near zero ohms resistance. Any other wire will show an open condition. The reading will not vary when you rotate the motor shaft. When you connect the red and brown wires, you will have more resistance than the field connections showed and it will vary slightly as you turn the motor.

To check the motor out without a switch, connect the green wire to the POS terminal of a 6 volt battery ( a lantern battery will work for convenience), then connect the yellow (field) wire with the red (brush) wire together and then the remaining brown (brush) wire to the Neg terminal of the battery the motor should run. If you are using a lantern battery, the motor may require some assistance to start.

If it runs full speed then the problem is in the switch.

Tom

silverchief
09-16-2020 @ 3:18 PM
Senior

Thanks for all the help.

I am going to pull the motor and take it somewhere to have it tested.

51woodie
09-17-2020 @ 3:52 AM
Senior

When I took the heater in my '46 Super Deluxe apart, to have the core cleaned and pressure tested, I found the motor only had two leads, red and black. However the heater switch has a few different positions, not just on and off. What am I missing? It is a replacement motor, so I don't know what the original would be like. Any one have pictures of an original or a wiring diagram?

Silverchief. My motor was slow as well, but some cleaning and a bit of lube fixed that.

37RAGTOPMAN
09-17-2020 @ 6:18 AM
Senior

hi silverchief
did you try spraying electric motive cleaner inside the motor,?
your brushes are making bad contact on the commutator because it is dirty from lack of use,
this cleaner will clean it without removal, if you hit the right spots,
you can do this while it is running, and you will see it speed it up

also the bushing will also need oiling, just a drop or so, hope this helps 1937Ragtopman ,

TomO
09-17-2020 @ 7:20 AM
Senior

51 Woodie,you can buy a reproduction wiring harness and have your aftermarket motor rewired to work with the switch.

Use the instructions in my previous post to determine where the wires go.

Tom

51woodie
09-18-2020 @ 9:35 AM
Senior

Tom. I looked through my service manual and green book for info on the heater motor, wiring and controls. Nothing in the service manual, as I understand the heaters were installed as an option at the dealership. The Green book shows the motor as P/N 6A-18527-A (if I read the book right) but I'm not clear on the wiring harness. Are these motors available, and how would I find the associated wiring harness? Also, my defrost control is missing. do you have any info on them or a picture?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org