LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Safety Switch at National Meet is a deduction?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Safety Switch at National Meet is a deduction? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Kenneth M.
03-30-2020 @ 7:09 AM

OK here I go, If you don't have a Fire Extinguisher a 1000 point deduction but if you have a Safety Switch you get a 2 Point deduction. To me that don't make a lot of sense . It ok if your car burns up your house and car but the fire Extinguisher is in the car if you can get to it. Or in the middle of the night burn the house and family. It took years to let us have an electric fuel pump to stop vapor lock. That why today they pump fuel pumps in the gas tank to stop vapor lock. I think a Safety Switch is a safe way to protect your car and life.

Kenneth M. Stewart

TomO
03-30-2020 @ 8:10 AM
Senior

What kind of safety switch are you talking about?

IMHO the Judging Standards Committee and the Board of Directors should take a good look at the standards and revise them for the 21st century.

I think that all cars should go on a short tour and then be driven on the Concourse. The most important item when the car was made was to make sure that it could be driven. If it could not start and drive at the end of the assembly line, it was pushed off to the side and repaired.

Eliminate the requirement for YOM spark plugs and other parts that are replaced during maintenance and are no longer available, either old stock or correct reproduction. This will help reduce the cost of a Concourse restoration and make sure that the cars are driveable. No repairs or parts replacement should be allowed on the Concourse.

Safety items like 3rd brake lights and seat belts should be accepted if they are installed neatly. Battery disconnect switches are a debatable item, when the battery is under the hood, removing the ground strap is almost as convenient as a switch. When the battery is under the floor, mounting locations become an issue.

I am sure that there are other opinions on what should and should not require a point deduction. Speak up and let the Board and Committee know what you think.

Tom

kubes40
03-30-2020 @ 2:50 PM
Senior

Tom,

I agree with you in that cars should be operative when entering the concourse. They were delivered with everything working and as such, everything should work now. I don't recall ever seeing an electric pump on an authentic '40 Ford. Must've overlooked that in my research.

Now, with respect I disagree with you on a number of points.
Correct plugs are in fact available. I'd purchased three sets (24 plugs) in the past two months.
Yes, they are costly -nearly $1500 for all 24 pieces.
Electric fuel pump? If you or others want one, go for it. And park on the touring lot.
I never have issues with vapor lock and as you no doubt realize my vehicles are as near "point perfect" as I'd surmise humanly possible.
Yes, restorations costs are staggering. However, it all comes to do a few basic things. Just two at this moment I'd like to mention
1) PRIORITY. Me? I'd rather skip some other things in my life so I can afford doing proper restorations.
2) ECONOMICS. Sure restorations are costly. We all have pockets books that are either deeper or shallower than others.
Ya know Tom, I find it sad that a bunch of old guys (yeah, I'm in that group) want their Dearborn award but don't want to do what it takes to EARN it. I suppose it's easier for them to change the rules so they can "win".
The group I am not in nor will I ever be is the one that feels they "earn" an award when clearly they have not.

This club has rules that cover a number of classes. That does a lot to allow everyone to participate.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40
03-30-2020 @ 2:55 PM
Senior

Ken,
What doesn't make sense to me is why a $15 extinguisher is causing you grief.
You want to add a safety switch? Go ahead. Not being authentic to the build, accept the deduction as the rules clearly state and move on.
You made the choice and you knew the rules.

Electric pumps were not placed in the fuel tanks of modern cars to eliminate so called vapor lock. They were placed in the tank for efficiency. Plus, the modern fuel injection systems require higher fuel pressure than a typical mechanical pump is able to deliver.
Just a little "history" about electric pumps in tanks. I had a '69 Buick Riviera with an electric pump in the tank. That was the first domestic production car built as such. Carbureted, leaded fuel...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
03-30-2020 @ 7:55 PM
Senior

During my first Grand National Meet, I was horrified to see cars on the Concourse being stripped of their operating components to install dummy original parts. I had read the rules, which clearly stated that cars are to be checked at the Operational Checkpoint, and driven onto the Concourse.
Hoods were up all over, toolboxes open, parts scattered on the ground, and museum quality cars were being built on the spot.
If you want to see museum cars that don't run, go to a museum!
To me, the big draw to a V8 Concourse is to see cars that are fully operational, just as Henry made them. If you can't afford the original parts, bite the bullet and take the deductions. Don't take an award you don't deserve.
That's all I have to contribute to this thread.

Alan

TomO
03-31-2020 @ 8:47 AM
Senior

Us old guys want younger people to join our club and enjoy the cars that we enjoy. When the cost of winning a trophy becomes too high, you turn off people from competing. I would rather see more young people in the Club than worry about correct spark plugs . We should be concerned about the costs and performance of a restoration, rather than having a correct part that has been obsolete for almost 80 years.

Tom

JayChicago
03-31-2020 @ 10:03 AM

Well said, Tom. And I agree with you on the spark plugs. Seems like that judging standard should be relaxed.

What about paint finish? Are modern clear coat, show-car finishes accepted without point deduction?

kubes40
03-31-2020 @ 4:41 PM
Senior

Alan,
I've seen this done with spark plugs. It disturbs me to no end.
To me, that's nothing but cheating.
How do folks like this feel good about "winning" when they have knowingly cheated?
I am proud that my parents taught me better than that.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40
03-31-2020 @ 4:52 PM
Senior

TomO,
So let's say we do it your way. We change the rules so there can be more so called "winners".
Cool, I and others can save a lot of time judging. Just have em show up and hand them a trophy. Hey, we can even eliminate the awards banquet. Hand the trophy out at registration! Look at how much easier things could go!
Sorry my respected friend, but that's called a "participation award".
When I didn't win a game, I didn't start crying "change the rules" so I had a chance at winning. Nope, I was taught (thanks Mom and Dad) that we are not all created equal. And, if I wanted something bad enough, I had to figure out how to get it.
If a guy wants to play with the "big boys" he needs to put on his big boy pants, roll up his sleeves and pull out his wallet.
Want to win a "participation award"? Fine, show up and park on the touring field. Or, last time I checked, there are still McDonald's show nights all over the place.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
03-31-2020 @ 5:12 PM
Senior

Mike, and Tom, I should regress a bit: I'm not speaking only of spark plugs, I mean all manner of bolt-ons: Distributors; coils; condensers; carburetors; voltage regulators. I've seen all these changed out while parked on the judging field. I believe that whatever configuration the car is in when it goes through the operational check, it should appear on the field with the same components. The rules provide for exceptions when a car breaks down enroute, but not as a condoned practice to plan for an exchange of parts on the field.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org