LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 239 c.i.d. missing on 2 cyls.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 239 c.i.d. missing on 2 cyls. -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Reds34
06-02-2010 @ 7:08 PM

I actually did switch carburetors and got the same problem, nothing had changed. I'm really at a loss on what to do. Thanks for your help.

Red

supereal
06-03-2010 @ 8:36 AM
Senior

Red: The fact that all the cylinders on one side are the problem has to be related. If the switch of carbs didn't change it, I'd pull the intake manifold and see what is happening on that side. You may find a mouse or bug nest, etc, blocking that side. I've seen that more than once. The intake manifold is the common link, as is the exhaust manifold, which could also be involved for the same reason. If the exhaust is plugged, the intake can't function.

TomO
06-03-2010 @ 10:19 AM
Senior

Red, Remove the coil and look at the relationship of the rotor contacts to the inner distributor caps. It is possible someone installed a 37-41 rotor in your distributor. The rotor will fit, but the contacts will not line up.

Tom

Reds34
06-03-2010 @ 2:15 PM

Superreal- it's not one side of the engine that is skipping. The cylinders that skip are the outside cylinders on the drivers side and the two inside cylinders on the passenger side.
Tom O- I remember looking at the distributor and seeing that the rotor contacts were lined up with the contacts on the caps.

The truck used to run fine a year ago, but one day I was driving it going up a hill and it just started skipping. It was lugging a little bit so I don't know if that has to do with it skipping. Thank all you guys for your help, I really appreciate it.

Red

supereal
06-03-2010 @ 3:58 PM
Senior

Actually, I was referring to one side of the intake manifold, rather than the engine. Did you ever confirm that only cylinders 1-4-6-7 are all affected? Or are others missing, as well. The fact that it ran well a year ago says, obviously, something changed. Two years ago, when I took my '47 out of storage, it began missing, bucking, and stalling. I noted that it smoothed out when I turned on my electric booster pump, so I assumed the mechanical pump was dying. Replacement didn't fix it. Neither did a new flexible line at the firewall. All filters were cleaned or changed, and the tank was new. After all of that, the only thing left was the gas line from the tank to the firewall, but I couldn't recall ever having to replace a line. Well, $18 for a new line and an hour's work fixed it all! The car runs better than it has in the 15 years I've owned it. The old line was filled with dirt and rust, and delivered only enough fuel to run the engine if power demand was very low. And all because I was "sure" the line was OK.

Reds34
06-03-2010 @ 7:20 PM

At first I used a timing light first and that said they were all working fine. Then I used a screwdriver to short out the spark plugs to find out which cylinders weren't firing. Thanks for your help.

Red

TomO
06-04-2010 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

Red, You have been replacing parts in the hope that you could fix it. It may be time to start over and diagnose the problem further before replacing any more parts. Sometimes the new parts will be defective also.

Try this:
Hook a vacuum gauge up to the windshield wiper port and try to adjust the carburetor for the highest steady reading. Make sure that both idle mixture screws adjustments affect the idle. If the engine is running too rough to determine when the highest reading is attained, turn the screws in until the engine almost stalls and then back off 1/2 turn and leave the screws in that position.

Check the spark at each cylinder by holding the plug wire close to a head nut. Check for a nice blue spark at least 1/4" long at each plug. If you have a coil rebuilt by Skip, your spark should be 1/2". The spark should make a cracking sound.

Short out the plugs one at a time, while observing the gauge. Record which cylinders have the most effect on the reading.

Examine all of the spark plugs for good color and no carbon build up, paying special attention to the plugs from the cylinders that had little effect on the vacuum gauge.

Perform a compression check on all cylinders and record the readings.

Come back here with the results of your tests so we can try to diagnose the problem further.

Tom

Reds34
06-04-2010 @ 2:32 PM

TomO- You said to make sure that both idle mixture screws affect the idle. I can take the passenger? side out completely and nothing changes. I put a vacuum gauge on and I got about 9 inches at 600 rpm, although I didn't mess with idle screws when I had the gauge on it. Who is Skip? I have heard his name mentioned before and I'm just curious what all he does. I was looking at getting a rebuilt coil, but they are a little high priced, so for now I'm running with a conventional coil. For removing the spark plug wires use insulated pliers to do so? I have gotten zapped by it recently and it hurt for the rest of the day.I will try to do the compression test this weekend. Thank you for your help and putting up with all my questions.

Red

TomO
06-05-2010 @ 7:45 AM
Senior

Red, you have found the source of your problem. Either your carburetor or intake manifold is blocked on the passenger side.

Remove the passenger side idle screw and squirt carburetor cleaner in the hole for about 15 seconds, then replace the screw. Seat the screw lightly and then back out 1 turn. Start the car and see if it runs OK.

If the car still only runs on 4 cylinders, remove the carburetor and check for blockage in the jets on the passenger side by removing the bowl drain plugs and squirting carburetor cleaner into the main jets.

If the jets are not blocked, you blockage is in the intake manifold. You will have to remove the intake manifold and using compressed air blow through an intake port for cylinder 5 (front port on the drivers side) after plugging all of the other ports. This may dislodge the obstruction. If it doesn't try forcing water through the port.

Skip is a vendor that rebuilds coils and water pumps. He is located in FL.

You can purchase plastic pliers at electronic stores or at some auto supply stores. They sell them as fuse pullers. These allow you to pull a plug wire without getting zapped.

Tom

supereal
06-05-2010 @ 10:20 AM
Senior

If it is the two end cylinders on the driver's side, and the middle two cylinders on the passenger side that are dead, it is the passenger side of the carb that feeds them. There is no physical connection between the right and left sides of the intake manifold. That is why taking out the passenger side idle needle doesn't have an effect. No fuel or vacuum on that side is the reason. Both TomO and I have been saying this almost since this thread began.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org