LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 1939 Antenna help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1939 Antenna help -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

41Merc
04-26-2022 @ 10:36 AM

I purchased an antenna kit for my 39 sedan from Dennis Carpenter. After drilling a 1 inch hole in the root of my newly restored car and trying to install the antenna mount, it became apparent that they had sent the wrong antenna assembly. When I called them, they said the 39 Mercury antenna assemblies were now out of stock. As I now have a 1 inch hole in my car, I am desperately looking for a 1939 Mercury closed car antenna assembly. I’d appreciate any and all help that I can get finding one. Thank you

Rockfla
04-27-2022 @ 6:42 AM

Pictured is my "early" production 39 Mercury Town Sedan with the antenna installed on the side of the cowl of the car, which from the sounds of it is "different" than your car!!! NOT sure WHY but I wonder about when and where the radio was installed?? Dealer ship maybe??? AS many pictures on a google search do not show ANY antenna at all and the rest show an antenna center top of the windshield!!!

This message was edited by Rockfla on 4-27-22 @ 6:53 AM

trjford8
04-27-2022 @ 6:53 AM
Senior

Call around to the various V-8 vendors who advertise on this site and in the V-8 Times. One of those vendors may have one in stock. I recently needed a part that was not in stock from a big supplier. Called around and on the third call I found just what I needed. Also run a want ad on this site and on the Fordbarn.

TomO
04-27-2022 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

I doubt that you will find an antenna at any of the Early Ford vendors. There are few people restoring the 1939 Mercury closed cars, so the vendors did not stock the parts. They ordered them as needed from Dennis Carpenter. The following list of vendors are the most likely to have any 39 / 40 Mercury parts.

Lowell Kimble 402-649-1116
Mac's Auto Parts 877-579-5720
Nebraska Ford Parts 402-489-3036
Pat Walsh Restorations 781-246-3266
Rocky Mountain Relics 970-686-2926

Look in your Roster for Frank Bruch in Washington and Gary Wright in CA. Both of them had parts for 40 Mercury's and may know someone that has 39 Parts.

Is there any chance that you can modify the antenna that you have to fit your car? Can you post photos of the antenna that you received?

Tom

41Merc
04-28-2022 @ 6:27 PM

Boy, no kidding. Not much to reference from…. Beautiful 39, by the way!!!

41Merc
04-28-2022 @ 6:30 PM

Thanks for the information. I’ll start calling around and will post an ad as well. Sure appreciate having you fellas here to lean on. It’s a little stressful to have drilled this hole in my car??

1931 Flamingo
04-29-2022 @ 7:21 AM

As someone suggested on the Barn, try Fred at South Side Obsolete or Mike at 3rd Gen.
Should be same as one for a Ford.
Paul in CT

kubes40
05-03-2022 @ 3:15 PM
Senior

Rock, The antenna on your car was added many years later. It is not stock.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Rockfla
05-05-2022 @ 5:27 AM

SO, Mike....my question to you would be this. There were two distinct dash set ups for the 39 Mercury, one with the openings for the radio controls and one with NO provisions for a radio (as pictured). My car has a radio (obviously) and did so at the time of manufacture by all appearances........SO.....IF it's a "later" addition antenna, then WHY no hole in the roof for a "correct" antenna?? There in NO marks anywhere else on the car where any other type of antenna was used prior to what is on my car?? Its a mystery to me......SO what say your opinion? I have NO proof of what I "theorize" and like you, have seen the same antenna on later model cars. It's only a theory BUT quite possibly had what is considered "original" type antenna for a 39 Mercury NOT quite made the production line at the time of assembly (as my Mercury is a "early" production car)?? Thus used what antenna they could get UNTIL a more permanent purpose built antenna was ready for full production?? My car also has several "other" distinct differences between it and later production 39 Mercury's. The ONLY other answer to my question would be IS the "NON" radio dash already cut for it BUT the blank off plate/ribs fit the radio hole openings (the only logical answer)?? My car shows NO signs of it ever having a radio delete plate on the surface paint.
Mike, also AS an interesting side...the only other 39 Dash I have is for our 39 Sedan Coupe (dec of 38 production), also cut for a radio BUT also NO holes anywhere in the car for an antenna??

This message was edited by Rockfla on 5-5-22 @ 9:57 AM

TomO
05-07-2022 @ 9:06 AM
Senior

I will try to answer your questions. Like Mike, I believe that your antenna is a post WWII addition. My answers are my opinions based on what i experienced back in the late 1940's.

"There were two distinct dash set ups for the 39 Mercury, one with the openings for the radio controls and one with NO provisions for a radio (as pictured)" This statement is not true. All 1939 Ford and Mercury dashboards had the provision for a radio. Your photos show one dash with the radio hole cover removed and another photo with the radio hole cover in place.

"IF it's a "later" addition antenna, then WHY no hole in the roof for a "correct" antenna??" The hole in the roof for the antenna was drilled at the time the radio was installed. There was NO provision for a plug for the hole, so it would not have been predrilled. So IMHO it is very likely the the radio was installed after the car was sold new and most likely after WWII when that type of antenna became popular.

"It's only a theory BUT quite possibly had what is considered "original" type antenna for a 39 Mercury NOT quite made the production line at the time of assembly (as my Mercury is a "early" production car)??" The photos that I have seen for the prototypes of the 1939 Mercury show the roof top antenna, so I believe that it was available at the beginning of production.

A properly installed radio hole cover would have probably not left any marks. There is no such thing as a "radio delete" plate. Radios were optional equipment a quite a few cars were sold without the radio. In 1939 radio was still an infant industry. In 1930 a car radio cost $130 and in 1939 they were about $45 which was quite expensive.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org