Topic: 1939 Antenna help

41Merc    -- 04-26-2022 @ 10:36 AM
  I purchased an antenna kit for my 39 sedan from Dennis Carpenter. After drilling a 1 inch hole in the root of my newly restored car and trying to install the antenna mount, it became apparent that they had sent the wrong antenna assembly. When I called them, they said the 39 Mercury antenna assemblies were now out of stock. As I now have a 1 inch hole in my car, I am desperately looking for a 1939 Mercury closed car antenna assembly. I’d appreciate any and all help that I can get finding one. Thank you

Rockfla    -- 04-27-2022 @ 6:42 AM
  Pictured is my "early" production 39 Mercury Town Sedan with the antenna installed on the side of the cowl of the car, which from the sounds of it is "different" than your car!!! NOT sure WHY but I wonder about when and where the radio was installed?? Dealer ship maybe??? AS many pictures on a google search do not show ANY antenna at all and the rest show an antenna center top of the windshield!!!

This message was edited by Rockfla on 4-27-22 @ 6:53 AM

trjford8    -- 04-27-2022 @ 6:53 AM
  Call around to the various V-8 vendors who advertise on this site and in the V-8 Times. One of those vendors may have one in stock. I recently needed a part that was not in stock from a big supplier. Called around and on the third call I found just what I needed. Also run a want ad on this site and on the Fordbarn.

TomO    -- 04-27-2022 @ 8:05 AM
  I doubt that you will find an antenna at any of the Early Ford vendors. There are few people restoring the 1939 Mercury closed cars, so the vendors did not stock the parts. They ordered them as needed from Dennis Carpenter. The following list of vendors are the most likely to have any 39 / 40 Mercury parts.

Lowell Kimble 402-649-1116
Mac's Auto Parts 877-579-5720
Nebraska Ford Parts 402-489-3036
Pat Walsh Restorations 781-246-3266
Rocky Mountain Relics 970-686-2926

Look in your Roster for Frank Bruch in Washington and Gary Wright in CA. Both of them had parts for 40 Mercury's and may know someone that has 39 Parts.

Is there any chance that you can modify the antenna that you have to fit your car? Can you post photos of the antenna that you received?

Tom

41Merc    -- 04-28-2022 @ 6:27 PM
  Boy, no kidding. Not much to reference from…. Beautiful 39, by the way!!!

41Merc    -- 04-28-2022 @ 6:30 PM
  Thanks for the information. I’ll start calling around and will post an ad as well. Sure appreciate having you fellas here to lean on. It’s a little stressful to have drilled this hole in my car??

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-29-2022 @ 7:21 AM
  As someone suggested on the Barn, try Fred at South Side Obsolete or Mike at 3rd Gen.
Should be same as one for a Ford.
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 05-03-2022 @ 3:15 PM
  Rock, The antenna on your car was added many years later. It is not stock.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Rockfla    -- 05-05-2022 @ 5:27 AM
  SO, Mike....my question to you would be this. There were two distinct dash set ups for the 39 Mercury, one with the openings for the radio controls and one with NO provisions for a radio (as pictured). My car has a radio (obviously) and did so at the time of manufacture by all appearances........SO.....IF it's a "later" addition antenna, then WHY no hole in the roof for a "correct" antenna?? There in NO marks anywhere else on the car where any other type of antenna was used prior to what is on my car?? Its a mystery to me......SO what say your opinion? I have NO proof of what I "theorize" and like you, have seen the same antenna on later model cars. It's only a theory BUT quite possibly had what is considered "original" type antenna for a 39 Mercury NOT quite made the production line at the time of assembly (as my Mercury is a "early" production car)?? Thus used what antenna they could get UNTIL a more permanent purpose built antenna was ready for full production?? My car also has several "other" distinct differences between it and later production 39 Mercury's. The ONLY other answer to my question would be IS the "NON" radio dash already cut for it BUT the blank off plate/ribs fit the radio hole openings (the only logical answer)?? My car shows NO signs of it ever having a radio delete plate on the surface paint.
Mike, also AS an interesting side...the only other 39 Dash I have is for our 39 Sedan Coupe (dec of 38 production), also cut for a radio BUT also NO holes anywhere in the car for an antenna??

This message was edited by Rockfla on 5-5-22 @ 9:57 AM

TomO    -- 05-07-2022 @ 9:06 AM
  I will try to answer your questions. Like Mike, I believe that your antenna is a post WWII addition. My answers are my opinions based on what i experienced back in the late 1940's.

"There were two distinct dash set ups for the 39 Mercury, one with the openings for the radio controls and one with NO provisions for a radio (as pictured)" This statement is not true. All 1939 Ford and Mercury dashboards had the provision for a radio. Your photos show one dash with the radio hole cover removed and another photo with the radio hole cover in place.

"IF it's a "later" addition antenna, then WHY no hole in the roof for a "correct" antenna??" The hole in the roof for the antenna was drilled at the time the radio was installed. There was NO provision for a plug for the hole, so it would not have been predrilled. So IMHO it is very likely the the radio was installed after the car was sold new and most likely after WWII when that type of antenna became popular.

"It's only a theory BUT quite possibly had what is considered "original" type antenna for a 39 Mercury NOT quite made the production line at the time of assembly (as my Mercury is a "early" production car)??" The photos that I have seen for the prototypes of the 1939 Mercury show the roof top antenna, so I believe that it was available at the beginning of production.

A properly installed radio hole cover would have probably not left any marks. There is no such thing as a "radio delete" plate. Radios were optional equipment a quite a few cars were sold without the radio. In 1939 radio was still an infant industry. In 1930 a car radio cost $130 and in 1939 they were about $45 which was quite expensive.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-09-2022 @ 5:16 AM
  TomO, Thanks for your thorough response to this thread. While I knew Rock's antenna was not correct, I was unable to respond wisely to his theories.
Most of my knowledge is Ford, 39 - 40. Mercury's of those years? That is YOUR specialty.
Thanks again for sharing!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Rockfla    -- 05-09-2022 @ 8:11 AM
  Thanks for the reply TomO, very informative and helpful.

TomO    -- 05-10-2022 @ 9:04 AM
  You are always welcome to my opinion, even when its wrong, which sometimes it is.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-19-2022 @ 5:39 PM
  Haven't witnessed that as yet

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Rockfla    -- 05-25-2022 @ 5:08 AM
  Tom
Would love to get an email IF you would mind sharing and comparing info for 39 and 40 Mercury's as we have two 39's and one 40. Here is why I said gold for the handles on the 39......6 of the 8 handles on our car are "gold" finish as you can see......two are the brown you speak of. ALSO one of the differences that is more noticeable in the interior of our car is the lock for the glove box lid, note there is NO chrome trim around the finger indention for the lock. As I said all the glass in the car is dated 10-38 and our frame number is just barely into 5 digits.

SHOULD BE IN DIFFERENT POST - SEE COLOR POST

This message was edited by Rockfla on 5-25-22 @ 5:24 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=15628