LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Rear sway bar

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Rear sway bar -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

46coupe
09-13-2021 @ 3:53 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the rear sway bar for a 42-48 Ford? I can't find one in the green book or the 41-48 restoration book.
I might have to have one.
Thanks

42wagon
09-14-2021 @ 3:17 AM
Senior

Ford called them Track Bars and they appear on page 4-5 of the 41-48 Ford book. For 42 the rear track bar was only installed on station wagons and sedan deliveries. If you have an early 46 coupe perhaps it didn't get one.

46coupe
09-14-2021 @ 5:20 AM

Thanks for replying. I had not used that term in my search. I plan on posting a picture of what I have on the car later today.

46coupe
09-14-2021 @ 7:14 AM

I had seen the picture in the resto book, and the Green book, but the sources I checked used the term sway bar, etc.
As you can see the bar doesn't look like the one in the books. It was on the car when I bought it and had no trouble with the links, shackles, spring, etc. I'll try to load various angles so you can see where the spring eye flipped upside down and how the bar fastens to the car.
The car is fairly early so maybe it didn't come with a track bar. However in the write up in the resto book it says they started to install them on all passenger cars. There's no date provided when the changed occurred though.

This message was edited by 46coupe on 9-14-21 @ 7:21 AM

carcrazy
09-14-2021 @ 7:57 AM
Senior

That looks like a Panhard bar to me, the purpose of which is to keep the axle properly located laterally under the car.

46coupe
09-14-2021 @ 8:50 AM

Well that's part of the problem. It hasn't. The rear end has shifted to the passenger side so that the tire rubs on the fender. The leaf spring has flipped around on the driver side so that the broken shock link can't be removed. I had a mechanic look at it yesterday who has built several cars over the years and he said that possibly the bar is bent because the way it is now it won't keep the spring from flipping again after we correct it's placement.
I thought I remembered someone saying in an earlier post that the rear end was held centered by some kind of a pin. I'll have to look that up later when I have time.
Do you have a picture or does someone on the forum have a picture of the track bar on their car?

40cpe
09-14-2021 @ 6:34 PM

The pin referred to as locating the rear axle is the spring tie bolt. You can see the bottom of it under the center of the spring. You should be able to feel the top of it in the hole on top of the crossmember. It appears to me that your shackles are not factory, but home made. To check for bent track rod, I would disconnect it at the bracket on the crossmember, place the shackles in the correct positions, and see if the track bar lines up with the bracket after you ascertain that the tie bolt is in the correct position. Be sure that the rubber bushings on each end are good.

zeke3
09-14-2021 @ 7:28 PM

I am not familiar with a 1946 model frame, but that rear crossmember doesn't look right to me. On the earlier frames, 1937 for instance, the crossmember had a flange on both the front and rear sides and there were holes that the large spring u-bolts went through. I don't see a rear flange on your crossmember, which may be the way your model was made. One of your pictures makes it look like the spring is way out of alignment with the center of the rear axle.

I suggest removing the spring u bolts and dropping the whole assembly down a couple of inches to get a better look at what is going on up there.

40 Coupe
09-15-2021 @ 5:06 AM
Senior

Have you looked on page 130 of the Ford green chassis parts book from Nov. 1950? The same bar was used for all the 46-48 passenger cars. Your bar does appear bent and the spring shackle bars are too . The bar part number is 51A-4264-A with the prefix indicating it was first available in 1945. The Sedan Delivery and Station Wagon of 42 would have originally used the 21A-4264 bar that became obsolete sometime after 42 and replaced by the part number 51A- bar.

46coupe
09-15-2021 @ 12:20 PM

Yes I saw the bar in the Green Book which looks pretty straight compared to mine. I'm pretty sure that my bar was on the car when purchased and didn't get bent since then. The shackles and bolt were just ordered and will pick them up tomorrow. I'm hoping we can get the car fixed in the next week or so. A traction bar seems to be pretty scarce so the one I have might need to be straightened to fit. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll post an update when I have one.
Oh BTW for those reading this post Dennis Carpenter has just installed a new phone system and there are problems with wait times, etc. Just be patient and you will get to talk to someone. They also have moved to a new building down the street in case you go to visit. I'll be there tomorrow and will get more info on details.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org