LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / ETHANOL FUEL

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: ETHANOL FUEL -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

zuktom
11-01-2010 @ 3:05 PM

We are now going to 15% ethanol and no one in the
area is selling fuel without it.
Will this hurt my 36 or is thier an addative

thanks tom

Stroker
11-01-2010 @ 3:52 PM
Senior

Tom:

There is no "additive". About the best you can do is to make sure your fuel delivery system can handle the extreme solvent properties of ethanol. You may have to rebuild your carb with alcohol-resistant parts, and you will probably also have to replace the fuel pump diaphragm with an alcohol-resistant part.

An additional problem is that if you are still running the original fuel tank, it will have a coating on the inside of varnish from 74 years of regular gasoline. The ethanol will dissolve this coating, leading to a never-ending filter replacement problem. Might consider replacing the tank as well. I'm sure others will weigh-in on this, but it is something we are all facing.

supereal
11-01-2010 @ 4:23 PM
Senior

In Iowa, the sale of 15% gasohol is restricted to vehicles newer than 2006. The real test will be the impact on small engines, particularly those who use gas mixed with oil. There is testing going on, but I'm not sure I trust the results. When the "new" diesel came out, we were told it wouldn't cause problems. In the "real" world, it promptly ate most of the rubber parts of the fuel system. The old car problems, as Stroker points out, largely stem from the solvent properties of ethanol. It turns any non-nitrile rubber into black goo, but doesn't seem to affect valve seats, etc, as was expected.

ford38v8
11-01-2010 @ 5:33 PM
Senior

Tom, Both Stroker and Supereal are correct, but there are two other consequences from using Ethanol: One is rust. As alcohol is compatible with and attracts water, you will experience rust in your gas tank and in your fuel line. This is a serious threat, and must be dealt with. An additive that does help to a small degree is Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas tank, 4 oz per fill up. It is not a cure all, but it helps. Another consequence is common also to the reformulated gasoline as well as Ethanol: Sticky valves. This can be diagnosed in the usual ways, the symptoms being an erratic miss. After ruling out ignition, a compression test will show the sticky valve. The cure for this, coincidentally, is Marvel Mystery Oil. This can be added by way of an under hood bottle and delivery system, or, to kill two birds with one stone, add it to your gas tank. There is no advantage whatsoever in adding MMO or any other additive to your oil. In fact, absent tests to prove compatitibility, an additive to the oil may in fact prove harmful over time. At least, that's what all the oil manufacturers tell us.

I should get a commission from MMO, don't you think?

Alan

TomO
11-02-2010 @ 7:19 AM
Senior

Alan,

MMO can and should be added to the motor oil when you have sticky valves. The penetrating properties of MMO help lubricate the valve stems and free up the sticky valve.

I would not leave it in the engine for extended periods as it may conflict with other additive in the oil. Usually MMO will free sticky valves within 100 miles.

Tom

sturgis 39
11-03-2010 @ 9:47 PM

ETHANOL IS THE BIGGEST RIP OFFS OF THE UNITED STATES. IT TAKES MORE ENERGY TO PRODUCE THAN IT MAKES.THIS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. THE COST PER GALLON IS ESTIMATED TO BE $22.00 WHICH PROBABLY DOES NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE HIDDEN COSTS. THE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES, THE LOWER GAS MILEAGE, THE AMOUNT OF WATER USED, THE HIGHER COST OF FOOD,THE INCREASE IN PROPANE COSTS ARE ADDITIONAL NEGATIVES. THIS IS GOING TO BITE US JUST LIKE FANNY MAE AND FREDDIE MACK.

WE WOULD USE LESS ENERGY BY BURNING THE PROPANE USED TO MAKE FERTILIZER FOR THE CORN DIRECTLY IN OUR CARS. ONLY OUR GOVERNMENT WOULD SUPPORT SUCH A COSTLY PROGRAM

Early46
11-03-2010 @ 10:09 PM

Eastwood is now selling a Fuel Guard and Storage Stabilizer which supposedly will counteract the effects of Ethanol! It is apparently a new product so there are no reviews on their site. Smoke and mirrors or a really useful product?? If you find out, let us all know!

Charles

supereal
11-04-2010 @ 8:45 AM
Senior

The best selling gasoline storage additive is Sta-Bil. They claim it prevents "stale" gasoline. When storing a car for a long time, the tank should either be filled to capacity to lesson air that promotes deterioration, or drained completely. As my friend, Alan, points out, ethanol is added as an "oxygenate" to reduce exhaust emissions. An unfortunate byproduct is rust in parts of the fuel system, mainly the fuel line from the tank to the firewall. I can't recall so many clogged fuel lines over the years, so I can only assume that the alcohol attacks any voids in the copper coating of the line. The stock line is just large enough to supply adequate fuel. 1/4". Any blockage will product the dreaded "vapor lock" effect to occur. At our shop, we are seeing the 10% ethanol causing problems in modern vehicles such as in-tank fuel pump failures, an expensive repair, to say the least.

TomO
11-04-2010 @ 9:36 AM
Senior

Supereal,

I have heard that a discussion is ongoing about having a full tank of gasohol vs an empty tank in storage. Some people say that the extra water and corrosion properties of the newer gasoline will cause more corrosion in a full tank than would happen in an empty tank during winter storage.

Eastwood claims that their preservative will inhibit the corrosion caused by gasohol.

I have been keeping mine full for years, because draining and storing gasoline until it can be used is a real pain.

But they keep changing the gas additives and making the decision more difficult. This year, my tank will be out of the car for winter and empty, as I have to fix a problem with the coating applied in 1979.

Has anybody found a site with facts about this problem?

Tom

supereal
11-04-2010 @ 1:01 PM
Senior

Tom: I am always leery about additive claims. As you know, ethanol is "hydroscopic" and attracts water, which can bead and settle to the bottom of the tank, causing rust. I have a plastic tank, and don't worry about rust but, hopefully, the reduction of air in the tank will slow the evaporation and deterioration of the fuel itself. If moisture due to temperature change is a problem. as in unheated storage, I'd add a can of methanol (Heet) which, unlike ethanol, will combine with the water to form a combustible mixture. I suspect an empty tank may well create more moisture than a full one if condensation happens in the air inside. I'd opt for either a plastic or stainless tank if the car isn't used for long periods of time, anyway.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org