LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / RESTORATION?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: RESTORATION? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
06-28-2021 @ 12:47 PM
Senior

There hasn't been a discussion of a category known as the "Resto-Mod". These are vehicles that appear to be original, but have been equipped to drive on todays highways safely. My '47 Ford convertible is one of these. While the finish,. interior, and engine bay look original, unseen is the overdrive that lets me cruise safely on the four lane highways, such as the interstates. Improved lighting, and a third stop light, are necessary No one enjoys a genuine "restoration" more than I do. The fact is that they are seldom driven between shows because of their value. They are sometimes called "trailer queens". While I admire them greatly, I prefer driving my cars where I get the smiles, honks, and "thumbs up".

kubes40
06-15-2021 @ 1:52 PM
Senior

Apparently there are many that still don't grasp what "restoration" means.

There's currently a nice looking '34 coupe advertised as a full restoration. In the description it mentions the blower, hydraulic brakes, etc.
I'm not certain whether to laugh or cry.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2
05-12-2021 @ 2:35 PM
Senior

Handsome car; sounds like it fits within my definition of "original".

TomO
05-12-2021 @ 8:19 AM
Senior

I call my Lincoln "unrestored". It has about 42,000 miles most of the chrome is original, most of the paint is factory, all of the interior is original, hoses, belts and brake parts have been replaced with modern equivalents. It still has the original spare tire. The wiring under the hood has bad insulation and I am trying to decide what is the best way to fix it, splice wires or replace the harness.

If it were "original" all of the interior, chrome and paint would be factory, things that were considered normal maintenance items like belts, hoses, brake shoes and tires would not have to be factory.

Tom

46coupe
05-11-2021 @ 1:04 PM

Yeah when I went to change the fuel sending unit, I removed the trunk mat which went to pieces in my hands. I was able to save a 2X2 ft piece which will go with the car. Mostly original sounds ok for me, as does, survivor. Thanks for your input.

1934 Ford
05-10-2021 @ 3:32 PM
Senior

Most of my cars are "maintained in good used car condition". Which I consider amazing for 87 year old cars. Not all parts are original, but replacement parts are as close too the originals as I could find. I drive them all and enjoy them with their faults, both original the ones caused by me. Try to find an original 1934 Ford Coil & Condenser! I can live with a Skip Haney coil and a Chevy condenser with the original arm soldered on it. Thank you Skip.
And I thank all you real Ford V8 mechanics who have shared your knowledge for the almost 50 years that I've belonged to this club.

1934 Ford's since 1972

kubes40
05-10-2021 @ 2:10 PM
Senior

Your car sounds as if it is mostly original.
Some say, correctly I believe, that's it "only original once".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe
05-10-2021 @ 12:19 PM

Hello
I've been mulling over the definition of "Original". In your example you mention that the car had replacement body panels.
I'm trying to clarify original as it applies to my car. It has all its original body panels, interior, gauges. running gear and most of its original paint. My question is: if components like the gas tank, generator, mats, weather stripping, and glass for example have been replaced, does it cease to be original? Is it then a survivor only, or just another old car?
Thanks for clarifying this for me.
Brad

therunwaybehind
05-03-2021 @ 9:07 AM

In 1998 I saw a 1934 Ford Touring exhibited with classics at Meadowbrook in Michigan.
Sometime quite a while ago I saw in the Tampa Bay newspaper a Ford roadster with a Toyota pickup front end and a flathead Ford v-8 described as a "rat rod" to be entered in a run a El Mirage where it went 94 mph. These are good reasons for me to hide out here with my ownership of a 1948 Ford coupe which I then found out was a Sedan coupe and even later found it was based on the 1939 Mercury Sedan Coupe and was very different from the 1946 Ford 5-window coupe I had seen just before I was old enough to buy a car. (1954) Ford motor clearly denied I had any claim to "looks like a Super-Deluxe Ford convertible" when I made one in 3-D modelling form and attempted to post it in TURBOSQUID at the time they had successfully sued a site for using that term for ??? when they were mortgaging their trademarks and GM and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy. In 1953 the dealer in Bad Axe, Michigan gave me a windup scale model of a Ford sedan when my father bought a 1953 Ford Country Sedan in two-tone Antelope beige and Saddle tan. It was exhibiting a render of a model of that car at Yellowstone NP in 3D in memory that had led to comments that I needed to put it on TURBOSQUID.

Kens 36
05-03-2021 @ 8:08 AM

Sorry Steve.

Original = original.

Restored = restored. Hopefully to original specifications.

Ken

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org