LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1947 brakes

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1947 brakes -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

cdeac47
09-07-2020 @ 10:22 PM

I am working on a '47 2 door sedan with a flat head V8. It's not modified!

I have replaced the 2 front slave cylinders, replaced the front drums and shoes as well as the brake cables. In the rear I have turned the drums, replaced the 2 slave cylinders. When I arc'd the brake shoes I made the radius of the shoe closer to radius of the drum than I do on a GM car with bendix brakes. I inspected the master cylinder which appears okay and then filled it and bled the braking system 3 times! I adjusted the shoes/drums as well. On the hoist I was able depress the pedal and found that point of contact, shoes to drum, to be very low; almost to the floor.

Hesitantly I went for a road test and the brakes did stop the car. Then I tried an aggressive stop and the pedal went to the floor and the brake stopped the car but by no means did it feel like a panic stop as they did not lock up the wheels and by no means did the car skid! Once the pedal was on the floor the pedal became numb and the car stopped.

What am I missing because a lot of the brake system is new! I question if there is an adjustment needed at the brake pedal linkage. HELP!!!

juergen
09-08-2020 @ 5:59 AM

Did you measure the ID of the drums? If you are using standard linings (3/16), the drums should be cut less than .060 or you will not have a lot of lining contacting the drum even if you arched the shoes as the fixed pivot won't get the bottom of the shoes close to the drum. Also if the brake pedal is soft and nearly hits the floor when depressed, you still have air in the system.

TomO
09-08-2020 @ 8:35 AM
Senior

The common causes of a hard, low brake pedal are the ones that juergen mentioned as well as shoe adjustment and master cylinder push rod free play (1/4"). Worn pedal shaft bushings could also cause this.

The brake shoes should be adjusted by adjusting the forward shoe cam counter clockwise until the drum cannot be turned by hand, then back off just enough so the drum can be turned by hand, without drag. Then do the same to the rear shoe. Is this how you adjusted yours?

Did you put the short shoe to the rear of the car? This is opposite of the way you would install them on self energizing brakes like those found on GM cars and later Ford products.

Did you have good pedal before you replaced the wheel cylinders?

Did you check to see if all 4 wheels are braking at the same time?

Let us know how you made out.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-8-20 @ 8:37 AM

cdeac47
09-08-2020 @ 11:41 AM

The front drums measured too wide and I replaced them. The rear drums were still within spec so I cut them and used them. Two of four slave cylinders were leaking so I replaced all 4 of them. The shoes are properly installed. The shoe were arc'd tightly and barely rocked when I test fit them in the drum. The adjustment on each of the 4 brake assemblies are very tight therefore a small amount of drag can be felt when turning the wheel. The brakes have been bled on three occasions.

So I believe I have the obvious things in good order. Now I am looking for the not so obvious things.

Can you elaborate on the master cylinder push rod free play and the pedal shaft bushings?

This message was edited by cdeac47 on 9-8-20 @ 11:45 AM

1931 Flamingo
09-08-2020 @ 11:54 AM

Worn bushings and incorrect push rod play ='s lost motion.
Paul in CT

40 Coupe
09-09-2020 @ 5:42 AM
Senior

Adjust the brake shoes so they all drag slightly and evenly.

TomO
09-09-2020 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

There should be 1/4" free play, measured at the top of the pedal, before the master cylinder push rod contacts the piston in the master cylinder. Too much free play will result in a low pedal. Worn pedal shaft bushings will allow the pedal to travel without operating the piston.

Did you use the stepped wheel cylinders or all one size cylinders?

Tom

supereal
09-10-2020 @ 1:23 PM
Senior

It is likely that the system has not been completely bled. Bleeding these cars can be difficult without a bleeder unit. With the master cylinder lower than the wheel cylinders, it takes time and extra fluid if you are using the "pedal pump and hold" method. As my friend Tom O suggests, be sure the pedal free play is correct to allow the system pressure to release when the pedal is completely released, and the reservoir is kept full as you bleed the system. When I bleed my '47, it usually takes lots of fluid, even with DOT3. If you are trying to install silicone fluid, it is almost impossible without a bleeder. Even then, the pedal can be softer when completed. Unless you have removed more than .060 when turning the drums, arcing the shoes may not be needed.

cdeac47
09-10-2020 @ 6:42 PM

Tom: I used stepped cylinders. I am new to the Ford way of doing things. Therefore the question arises can you please elaborate on the pedal shaft bushings? A quarter inch of pedal free play would be a fantasy for me. The brake pedal does not seem to have any resistance until it travels at least half way down. There's just not enough pedal travel and hits the floor and the brakes never lock up.

I used an air driven brake bleeder 3 times and it did use quite a bit of fluid.

It's a fun car to drive if only I can get it to stop!

This message was edited by cdeac47 on 9-10-20 @ 6:53 PM

alanwoodieman
09-10-2020 @ 7:40 PM
Senior

make sure there is clearance in the brake pedal-you just need the pedal rod to "rattle" you really don't need a 1/4" I have been using my homemade bleed jar for over 40 years with better results that power bleeding the system--take a glass jar and punch a hole into the top, place a piece of metal brake tubing in to the hole and with a j bend at bottom-use some jb weld and seal off the tube, fill jar with clean fluid until the j bend is under the fluid-hook up a rubber hose to the bleed and to the bleed jar tubing and open bleeder and slowly-READ SLOWLY-move the pedal up and down, using this method you are sure to bleed air out and fluid in with every pump. I do this with the car jacked up and just me pulling on the brake pedal arm from under the car

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org