LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / sequence to mount 1936 Cabriolet to frame

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: sequence to mount 1936 Cabriolet to frame

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

slow poke
05-08-2020 @ 12:07 AM

I have removed my 1936 Cabriolet from it's frame. I boxed with x frame work through out the interior of the car. A to B pillar and cross ways like crazy. When I lifted the body off (body/trunk/rear fenders complete) I still noticed a small bit of flex.....wow with all the welded bracing..........Prior to removing the body, the doors didn't quite fit exact but sufficient. So, I bought a new body mount kit that has a lot of cork strips and some rubber strips. I heard about long rubber strips that run the length of the frame 9' instead of cork that can be bought. Then, Bob Drake has these rubber shims that can be spaced/stacked together to make up space, etc...

What is the sequence: where to start bolting down the body to frame?
At starting point, Do I use the original body mount kit material, or aftermarket trick stuff that "the ol pro's used?"to aid in aligning the doors to quarter panel?
Is there tricks that can make this rigid enough for proper door alignment. Cork doesn't sound like my expectation of thing's not moving. Maybe in 1936 But, I would just like to have success in mounting it GOOD the first time with some good common talk.

P.S. I could never get a set of doors on a 53 Cadillac Convertible to line up correctly. I moved every hinge, everything. An old man in his 80's showed up to this shop I was working at and sat down across the room at a table. Soon, he was watching me on the car. All of a sudden with a broken voice he said: Boy, it's the middle body mount under the door. I spaced that thing, doors moved up 1/4 inch and doors shut perfect! This is the advice I might need here.

Thanks

37RAGTOPMAN
05-11-2020 @ 3:27 PM
Senior

hi slow poke
I think you would be better to start in the front,
you have to line up your grill ,, the hood and front fenders, keeping the gaps,
then work you way back and line up the doors, keeping the gaps,
this is very hard process, it is the trial and error process,
adding shims and subtracting shims, you might have to make some of your own,
just remember when you tighten up bolts,. all things will change,
going back and forth,
hopefully some else will have a easier way.
hope this helps 37Ragtopman MAINE

3w2
05-11-2020 @ 4:00 PM
Senior

After you have all of the body-to-frame bolts installed and finger tight (nothing tighter), walk away for a couple of days and let gravity be your friend in the interim to settle the body on the frame. The point of doing that is that each of the various insulation components have different molecular memories and the weight of the body will cause them to reach a point of stability. After that start alternating from side to side progressively tightening, but not completely) until you reach the back of the A pillars. Measure the door openings top and bottom (writing down the measurements and comparing them with the width of the doors). Continue the same process rearward frequently re-checking the width of the door openings. Should a measurable change take place in the door opening width it would be wise to stop and consider adding thin shims of sheet metal such as galvanized steel or aluminum to restore the desired door opening widths. Continue on to finish up at the rear. Restart the same process starting from the beginning, with each complete cycle progressively tightening the bolts until all of them are tight and your door opening widths are stable where you want them.

Unlike some other model years' bodies, '35-'36 open car bodies do not have the strength in the sills to prevent misalignment between the A and B pillars when off the chassis frame and your internal bracing will make up for most, but not all of that flexibility in the sills.

trjford8
05-12-2020 @ 8:43 AM
Senior

In addition to the good advice given, go to Harbor Freight and buy a box of front end shims. They come in various thicknesses and can come in very handy when shimming the body for alignment..

slow poke
06-05-2020 @ 11:45 PM

I really appreciate the time explaining about letting the body settle in on the various rubbers pieces. I am going to give it a run this weekend to do some tightening, working from front to rear. And yes, I'm going to need more shims!

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org