LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 12 volt horn install in a 35 Ford

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 12 volt horn install in a 35 Ford -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

37RAGTOPMAN
01-29-2020 @ 8:03 AM
Senior

HI
I went on BING and found this,

auto horn wiring diagram with jd1912 relay
this may help. check it out,,,

I would rewire the car for 6volts, it not that hard with RHODE ISLAND WIRING, all soldered terminals ends,,
I would not trust the other owners wiring, do not know what it looks like, is it neat and fused,?
all you gauges work ?
12 volts can cause fires quickly, if not done correctly
this is my 2 cents 1937RAGTOPMAN

TomO
01-29-2020 @ 7:24 PM
Senior

You have a short circuit somewhere. Try to isolate by removing the wires from the horns and insulating them from ground. Replace the fuse and then press the button. If the fuse blows, the problem is either at the horn relay or the wires to the horn. If the fuse does not blow, the horn motor is shorted.

If the fuse blows, remove the horn wires from the relay and repeat the test. If the fuse blows, the horn relay is bad.

If the fuse does not blow, reconnect one of the horn wires to the relay and retest. If the fuse blows that wire is grounded.

If the fuse does not blow, connect the other wire to the relay and repeat the test. If the fuse blows that wire is shorted to ground.

If the fuse does not blow, connect one of the horns and repeat the test.

The rubber gasket will isolate the mounting from ground, it was necessary on the original wiring because the horn ground was provided by the horn button. With the relay, the horn button only activates the relay and the relay now provides the hot side and your added ground wire at the horn provides the ground.

Come back with the results or for more help.

Tom

MittieLee1935
02-04-2020 @ 2:48 PM

I got my replacement Spartan 12v 1935 horns. Here is what I have done today. I bought some cheap new hi low note horns from the auto parts store. I bolted them to the original horn brackets. The two terminals on the horns are not labeled. One terminal on each horn I ran as a ground to the bolt under the fender that secures the horn bracket to the fender. The other terminal which I will call positive, I ran a 12 gauge wire to my horn relay left terminal (the 3 horn relay terminals are not labeled) relay mounted to the firewall by a Star washer and bolt. The center terminal on the relay is run to the hot side of my starter solenoid. The terminal on the right I’ll call switch, I hooked up to one of the horn button wires coming out from under the steering shaft. The other wire I taped off. I have installed a 25 amp fuse between the solenoid and horn relay. Both horns sound when the original horn button is pressed. Now I guess I am ready to replace the cheap horns with the expensive Spartan horns. I am a little worried as I shorted out a previous new Spartan horn and burnt up a second. I reordered more horns so I now have $1000 invested. Does it sound like I can proceed? I have 2 wires hooked up to relay terminal “H” on left (one from each horn positive).

This message was edited by MittieLee1935 on 2-4-20 @ 2:54 PM

TomO
02-04-2020 @ 9:35 PM
Senior

Before proceeding I would check the circuit for a short. Do you have an ohm meter?

Tom

MittieLee1935
02-05-2020 @ 5:02 AM

No I don’t have a ohm meter but the two cheap horns are working normally.

JayChicago
02-05-2020 @ 7:48 AM

I always wondered why your previous Spartan horns got ruined. The only thing that comes to mind is they can’t handle reverse polarity. So before installing them I would check that.

TomO
02-05-2020 @ 10:04 AM
Senior

My concern is that you say you burned up 2 horns when they were mounted on the car. The horn motor is a simple electric coil magnet and should not burn or short out with the correct voltage applied.

The horn motor vibrates the diaphragm to make the noise by using electric current in an electromagnet to move the armature and diaphragm. When the magnet is energized the contact points open and break the circuit to the magnet allowing the armature to return to the relaxed position. The current is present only a few thousands of a second each time the point close.

The wiring on your car is not stock, so I wanted to check out if there is another reason for burning up the horns without activating the new horns.

If you wired your horns with a hot wire going to one terminal and the grounding wire going to the other terminal, you MUST isolate the mounting bracket from ground by using a rubber gasket. You need an ohmmeter or a test light that will check continuity between the horn case and the body of the car. There should be NO continuity.

Here is a link to a meter that has a good selection of ranges for cars. I cannot vouch for the quality of the meter as I have not purchased this make or model. The needle type meter is more useful in diagnosing old car problems as it is not as sensitive to stray voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP7050-7-Function-20-Range-Multimeter/dp/B007IEFC8G/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=analog+multimeter&qid=1580918316&sr=8-12

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-5-20 @ 10:04 AM

MittieLee1935
02-05-2020 @ 10:30 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help in my horn project. I replaced the cheap horns with the Spartons and they WORKED! But in putting the dome cover back on the left horn the fuse blew again. Evidently one of the terminals must be making contact with the inside of the dome cover. I solved this by wrapping both terminals with electrical tape and that took care of the problem! Thanks again everyone!! This is a great site!!!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org