LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Declining membership

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Declining membership -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

trjford8
07-24-2019 @ 1:52 PM
Senior

I'm hoping that club member was only kidding when he told you to "sell that piece of junk". Don't worry about it as there are lots of cub members out there that will definitely like your truck. There will always be a critic some wherein the crowd no matter what hobby you are in and what you do. Jealousy is what brings out those type of comments. so it's best to just ignore them

rustedorrotting
07-23-2019 @ 11:47 AM

i always wanted an early ford and my truck came to me in 1989. it was a farm truck which means the body was pretty sad although it was a California car. i started by removing all the body , sandblasted and painted the frame, and began rebuilding everything. i towed the truck from Ca. to Indy, to Chicago to Mich. I have been a mechanic professionally since 1971. The truck has been a labor of love and i plan on driving it, weather permitting. It has a flat head v8 with Offy cylinder heads an Edlebrock manifold with 3 deuces and tube headers feeding dual exhaust. Also has 16 in. ford wire wheels. It will never be a show car, but i love it. I plan on driving it in the Newport hill climb and they have already told me they will deduct five seconds because of the duals. this vehicle has shown me things that has me shaking my head. The truck has a column shift and several things had to be fabricated such as the ignition switch. its a combination of a car switch and Henry's evil genious. I have tried to keep it as close to stock as possible and with the turn of a wrench or two it could be stock again, but i like the looks of the engine with its bling. The club has been very useful to my efforts with lots of suggestions and advice but please don't put down my ride because it isn't concourse. one club member recently told me to " sell that piece of junk and buy a real ford"

trjford8
07-23-2019 @ 8:28 AM
Senior

Well said Michael(1935fordtn). It's up to us as club members to promote the V-8 Club. Many times we have heard from people "I don't join clubs". So I have changed my sales pitch to subscribing to the V-8 Times. Show them the magazine and promote the hobby via the Ford history route. I carry samples of the V-8 Times with me and have attached labels to the front with the subscription cost and the toll free number of Cornerstone Registration. I pass the Times out at car shows to anyone with a V-8 Ford. As I said in the past we are the ones who have to promote the club.

mhsprecher
07-22-2019 @ 7:38 PM

Many good comments.

I take my cars to local cruise ins - lately my Model A mostly, but I get many questions. I need to stay with my car to answer questions, which is not always what I like to do, but it is how we promote these cars. I also drive mine as much as I can. My 45 truck gets a lot of comments whenever I drive it, but it is a beaut. We all need to be ambassadors for our cars.

FWIW, my local Model A club had it's second highest attendance ever at the show it has been putting on for 40 plus years. We have started using social media more and changing the way we publicize - and this is for a show that is only antique cars - no modifieds.

37RAGTOPMAN
07-22-2019 @ 7:13 AM
Senior

hi Declining membership
I have been a MEMBER of the EARLY FORD V8 CLUB since the early 1970's and the AACA also,
I think all car clubs could have a sticker to mount on cars at cars show, that invited new membership or flyers,
or something of up coming antique car events,
no matter the make of car, or truck or motorcycle
when I see a youngster, I invite them , if well" behaved" to sit in my car and take a photo, so they will take away something from their visit to a car show or cruise night, that they might remember.
just maybe the parents will see if the youngster is inspired, maybe that will also inspire the parent to get involved
to teach the youngster about history. of years gone by
and have fun doing something different,
and attend a club meeting, of club outing , even if in their modern iron, it is at least its a start,
I have done this with both my 37 FORD CABRIOLET and 1957 CHEVROLET BELAIR. 2 DR HARDTOP
this just might help. my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman
OLD CARS and trucks are looking for new caretakers, they are out there you just have to find them

1935fordtn
07-21-2019 @ 9:28 PM

I have really enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, and it’s nice to hear members opinions. I apologize in advance for my long winded response.

my Opinion is if you look at photos of a AACA National Meets in the 60’s, 80’s, and then in our present time you’ll see a shift. A photo of a AACA Meet from the 60’s shows many “horseless carriage” type brass era cars from the teens. Shift that to twenty years later and you see more 30’s-40’s era cars; and the cycle continues. You’ll notice the same in the street rod shows, where you see more and more Camaros and Mustangs.

With the changes in this cycle the Model T club and horseless carriage club are still going. As a 32 year old member I can promise this club will have my membership until I’m no longer on this earth,
As for the comments regarding hot rods or street rods; you don’t even have to own a Early ford to be a member and receive our excellent magazine. A person could own a Mazda Miata and enjoy the same benefits of being a member as the rest of us with the exception of showing it at a National Meet. For those of you with a Modified Ford with a later Ford engine, etc, ; the display class was introduced years ago as mentioned already to allow you to participate in a national meet.

The Club in my opinion is very well diversified as it stands. This club has members whom enjoy the authenticity and restoration, and those whom just want to drive them and have fun. We all have the same interests and the club is formulated to allow both groups to be active and have a great time! For those of you who haven’t attended a National Meet you are missing out big time!

I’ve been involved in many hobbies in my short life span and you guys as Early ford V-8’ers make this the greatest hobby a guy (or gal) could have. The friends I’ve met while being in this club truly is amazing.

kirkstad
07-21-2019 @ 11:49 AM

When I was in high school in 64, my first car was a 51 chev. 6cyl. powerglide. A friends dad who had a 1955 T bird at the time, decided he wanted to put a pontiac 389 in it, this was the engine the new GTO's were using at the time.I was able to get the engine real cheap, because not many people wanted a Y block ford given the popularity of the small block chev. at the time. Well, my 51 smoked like a camp fire and put down a trail of trans. fluid every where it went, so with the help of a Hurst motor mount I put that Y block,a 292 I believe,with the trans. and a ford station wagon rear in that chev. I didn't have a tubing bender so I used copper line for brakes.Later after high school I was able to get a 40 ford coupe that sat behind a house that had a 265 chev. engine that had been striped of heads and manifold and was badly rusted.I and a friend lifted the rusted block out with a chain and 4x4. I put in another 265 from a 56 chev. conv. That coupe had only a front seat and nothing else. When I was in Vietnam the town had a clean up drive and my folks were being bugged by city officials, so I gave it to a friend.He had to steer with vice grips because I forgot where I hid the steering wheel. Anyway I'm 74 now and have a mostly stock 36 coupe, still 6v and the original stomp and pray brakes.The frame and trans. number are the same and it has an LB engine, but if I were to fix all the things to make concourse correct, it would be less costly to sell my car and buy one already done.I love how Henry built them, but I like my steal heads, tinted windows,chrome window trim, dual exhaust etc. etc. probably many things done years ago when it was just a jalopy.If I had that 40 today it would have a flat head. My son is 34 and he used my coupe for his wedding and he takes his wife on a date with it from time to time if we agree to babysit. Everything regarding cars today seems so sterile, people rarely check there own oil, let alone wash their own cars. We all have a story tell and that's a bit of mine.I like to think of them as the good old days but they could be really tough sometimes as many of you know. I pray the V8 club keeps on keeping on. The club helps all of us keep connected with beautiful cars and great people as all of you are!
Frank

This message was edited by kirkstad on 7-21-19 @ 2:18 PM

rustedorrotting
07-21-2019 @ 8:31 AM

me too. i really don't like to see a nicely restored body of an old ford with a gm drive train. i call them fordolets. where have all the flatheads gone? i recently met a man with an old pickup at a car show. when he purchased it, it was a fordolet, but he spent many dollars having a v8 60 built to put back in it. was the 60 stock? no it had dual carbs. it was very nicely done. the main point is he returned it to close to original. at least it didn't have a chevy small block.

51woodie
07-21-2019 @ 6:17 AM
Senior

I'm 70 years old, and an old car enthusiast since I was a kid. I now own a stock '46 Super Deluxe, which I drive as much as I can based on weather. I go to car shows and cruises, where the car gets lots of attention. What I believe is hurting the interest on our cars is the "DO NOT TOUCH" signs and attitudes that a lot of owners have. How do we get young people interested in our cars if they can only look from the outside? I often will let young, and even some older people sit in the car, and I will explain the features that it has. "You mean they had locking steering in 1946?" There are lots of younger people that are interested in old cars, but we need to give them a taste to whet their appetites. I know I have a grandson that is interested in and works on my car, but where will he keep it when I'm gone? A lot of young people now can't afford a house, let alone a garage to keep an old car in.

3w2
07-21-2019 @ 5:52 AM
Senior

Nowhere can I find any reference to a policy of "throwing you out" of this forum or the Club itself for your personal choices of how you equip your car(s). But until such time as the Club formally changes its mandate, the primary focus of its national meets, its judging standards for those national meets and the content of its publications will continue to be on 'as-built' 1932-53 Fords.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org