Topic: Declining membership

oldford2    -- 07-03-2019 @ 10:46 AM

There have been numerous posts on the lack of interest in old Fords.
I just went in to get my latest Roster of members (2019) to get info on a guy I wanted to contact.
For comparison I pulled out a 2013 Roster.

2013 roster 184 pages of members

2019 roster 102 pages of members

I guess that tells the story
John

woodiewagon46    -- 07-03-2019 @ 11:44 AM
  Every "hobby" such as ours is cyclical. I'm a bit of a pack rat and tend to save "stuff". My first year attending HERSHEY was 1968. I have the program from 1968, (nothing like the program we get nowadays) and can count over 220 Model A Fords in the book that were being exhibited on the show field. Last year there were about 10 Model A's. I hope someday, the heirs of those owners, will get involved and get those cars out of storage and garages and get them back on the road. Today the hot car is the Muscle Car. Just enjoy it for as long as you can, we can't stop time!

3w2    -- 07-03-2019 @ 12:29 PM
  While there has been a decline in this Club's membership since 2013, it has not been 45% based on your page count. Much of the difference in the page count in your example is due to deletion of material that is readily available on the Club website, such as the bylaws.

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 07-03-2019 @ 7:10 PM
  And if I may add -- since society has been changing and there is a concern for privacy, the Club not offers the option to NOT have a members information in the Roster.
While this is probably not a large number, it also should be considered when discussing membership numbers in the National Roster.

Web Administrator

supereal    -- 07-06-2019 @ 10:57 AM
  The drop of interest in old and collectable vehicles is not unusual. Most collectors seek to buy and restore vehicles that inspire pleasant remembrances of their earlier years. The supply of these vehicles has steadily decreased as their prices have increased. Many, if not most, of us were "shade tree mechanics" when simpler systems were the norm and can be repaired without special equipment and experience. Thus, the emphasis on cars becoming "transportation appliances", unworthy of the time and money necessary to participate in the hobby. This is reflected in the attrition of suppliers of the parts and materials required. I wouldn't expect a reversal of this trend anytime soon.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-6-19 @ 10:58 AM

1934 Ford    -- 07-06-2019 @ 4:53 PM
  I agree with mostof that, but we don't try hadrd enough to get others involved.. I'm as guilty of that as others. Two examples
I've been a 34 Ford guy for nearly 50 years and I'm d 1945 Model, that's hardely selecting cars from my youth.
When two guys my age or older walk up and look a my 1934 (With a greyhound ornement) and say "Nice Jaguar", I ask the non-speaker if he goes hunting with the other guy. Then I'll explain that it is a 1934 Ford with the optional Greyhousnd dog ornement,
probably inspired by Lincoln. Andthat if the speaker can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog, I'm not hunting with him.
Somethins that will start a fun conversation and we'll all learn something. Maybe I should hold my tongue.
Very often young people will ask abour the car and say they've never seen one like it, and I ask of they ever saw the movie Bonnie & Clyde. Answer is usally NO.
We all have a frame of reference from our past interactions, and we need t get past that.
To me a 1932 Ford 5 window Coupe is still a 32 Ford even if it has a Mustang V8 or a 53 Mercury engine. I even know a guy with a stock looking 48 Jeepster with a stock looking 48 Ford Flathead engine. Both interesting cars whose owners have more in common with us than the guy who thinks my car is a Jaguar. I think we should welcome & included them in their own classes. Many of them know a lot about Early Ford V8's and enjoy seeing our original ones.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 07-07-2019 @ 8:13 AM
  Something we have not tried as a club is to possibly have docents at our concourse events. Since our events are open to the public maybe we should set up a small information tent at our concourse. Have docents at this tent to take small groups around the concourse to explain the cars to these people. It's also a chance to promote the V-8 Club, hand out sample copies of the V-8 Times, and perhaps get them interested in subscribing to the V-8 Times( joining the club). If we as members don't try to promote this hobby/Club we are our own worst enemy. If each current member brought in one new member this year we can double the size of the V-8 Club in one year. The interest is out there we just need to capitalize on it. I still think the glass is half full.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-7-19 @ 8:13 AM

supereal    -- 07-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
  Good idea , Tom. I think the lack of interest is also a product of the decline in car shows. We see it around here (Iowa). I began to enter my '47 convertible 25 years ago when a local car show was always a part of festivals of one kind or another. I have a shelf of trophies for the car, but the few shows that appear now are mostly hot rod focused. I know my car still draws attention. A couple of weeks ago when I stopped for refreshments, several people came over to ask questions and take photos. Some of the shows began to require a sizable entrance fee which, I am sure, dampened entries.

flatheadfan    -- 07-07-2019 @ 1:19 PM
  Supereal has summed up much which many of us already know from watching the passing of time in recent years. The days of $50K+ prices on early v8S are rapidly disappearing with the times. Reversing the trend boarders on trying to stop the sunrise. However, the trend can be slowed down if some changes were implemented by the Club. First. early modified V8s were part of the V8 story. To ignore this is akin to building a family tree purposely ignoring relatives who were "different." Like it or not non-stock modifications are part of the V8 family tree and should be shown not hidden. Second, to get greater exposure to the major car shows the Club should schedule major viewing events on weekends. Not on midweek days when the general population is not readily available to attend as a result of other conflicting activities such as school or business. Lets face it, it is hard to get interested about something you haven't seen.

Obviously, this is a very short list which I feel could have a positive impact on future club membership. I am sure others can suggest some ideas worthy of further discussion.

Tom

hupdoc    -- 07-08-2019 @ 2:10 AM
  Even in New Zealand we have the same problem . While I have no problems with lightly modified cars (and think we should encourage such cars into our club) but often that is not what shows up to meets . Recently I took my original 1934 Fordor to an all Ford day . The guy parked next to me had what he described as a 1934 Ford roadster. It was all fibreglass with a small block Chev in it . I doubt if it had one Ford part in it other than the blue oval . On the other side I had a 1926 T Rat Rod on which (other than the body tub) again nothing was Ford . Both of them insisted that their cars were Fords. Having spend countless hours and lots of money getting my car as close to original and as reliable as possible I really couldn't be bothered being there and left after I had looked at what few original and lightly modified cars were there . Yes my dwindling car club could do with these guys membership but I have nothing in common with them nor would most of my car club .

Ritzy1    -- 07-08-2019 @ 3:11 AM
  IMHO, to increase membership, like it or not, the members will need to be more inclusive and more tech savvy. For a start, including any vehicle with a Ford flathead, stock or modified, would increase membership and attendance at events. Just because you may not appreciate a car, doesn't mean the next person won't. A person who is attracted to modified vehicles can also appreciate your restored original. Taking your car to the local cruise night exposes more people to the early Ford V-8 and should be a social event. Who doesn't like to talk about their car?

The other way to gain more eyeballs (and potential members) is through social media. I just looked at the club's official Facebook page for example, so far in 2019 there have only been six posts. Does your local have a Facebook page? How often is someone posting on it? I understand that many members may not even have Facebook, but the reality is that many of the younger generation do. Then there's Twitter, Instagram, etc., etc. All of these social media sites attract eyeballs.

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 7-8-19 @ 3:26 AM

hupdoc    -- 07-08-2019 @ 3:59 AM
  Yes we should be more inclusive but there has to be a limit for me. I don't consider a car with no Ford parts on it to be a Ford despite what the owner says . I suspect that a numbers will continue to decline despite what action we take. The younger generation generally aren't interested in our cars - Many lack the skills to keep them running and their perspective is different . At the last national vintage car rally I attended of about 500 cars well over a third were post 1980 . They like them as they are "old school" but to their mind are more reliable and can keep up with modern traffic. For my part I have insured that my son has a passion for and can drive all my cars -When I'm gone he will inherit 4 . He will never sell them and will drive them all but I'm sure the 1968 Sunbeam Alpine will get more use than the 1930 or 1934 Ford and the 1910 Hupmobile might come out once per year if its lucky !

This message was edited by hupdoc on 7-8-19 @ 4:02 AM

silverchief    -- 07-08-2019 @ 10:14 AM

I have four grandsons, ages 20 t0 24. Except as a means of transportation, none of them has any interest whatsoever in cars. Their principal interests and time are all somehow internet connected.

Several times a week I take my restored original 46 coupe to a nearby restaurant. I regularly get people stop by my table to compliment the car and ask me questions about it. More women than men. A few are elderly, most are middle aged. Strangely enough, the most enthusiastic are young people. They describe it as "awesome" and often ask to take pictures. Also, when I get a honk and a wave from someone driving the other direction, it is always a young person.

Hard to explain.

1934 Ford    -- 07-08-2019 @ 11:43 AM
  Here is n idea I used when we moved ro a new town ans didn't see many antique cars.
I went to the local Historical Society and introduced my self as an antique car guy. They referred me to the two guys in their Society who alyas drove their antique cars in the local parades. (A Model A & T guy and a Studebaker guy) They felt the same way I did about liking to drive their cars.
I asked the Society to help me do a local history tour for antique cars, sponsored but the Society. They havememnership and non-profit status and new the local history. I wrote a 28 mile local tour, got resturant to stay open Sunday evening for the end of the Tour and got Free Advertising for the Free Historical Society Event for stock antique cars 50 years old and older. We had 12 cars the first time and met some wonderful people with stock cars and trucks 1925 t0 1964 (2014). They learned some local history and took a quiz at the end and a couple in a 1932 Plymouth won a free lunch on me.
Now, 22 Tours later I have an email list of 35 tourists with antiques ranging from 1914 to 1969, includong 3 Early For V8's a few Model T's & A's, a 1924 Yellowstone Tour Bus, Studebakers, a 1924 Cadillac ans an unresotred 1935 Packard, plus some nice
50's & 60's cars. Some folks didn't like my "stock" requirement, but we never turnrd anybody away on tour day, some of them went home and got their antiques running just to participate the next time.
The Historical Society sells the left over tour instructions to local tourisrs and put our 35 Ford V8 Pickup on their brouchure.
We've toured western NC. NE GA & NW SC. and found some interesting places dine and most participants bring their wives.

1934 Ford's since 1972

supereal    -- 07-08-2019 @ 2:31 PM
  I hate to say it, but age plays an important part of the hobby. My kids are 63,61, and 60. Great kids, but no particular interest in my cars, except for the "old man's" love for them and the cars. At 84, I am in the process of offering my convertible for sale. It was a tough decision, but time for someone else to enjoy the "top down" fun. At $29,900, well below the NADA book value, and the cost of the restoration parts alone, it is on the block.

trjford8    -- 07-09-2019 @ 7:32 AM
  Bob, you can't be 84. Your mind is still young. Unfortunately time marches on and we can't take our stuff with us when it's time to leave the planet. I'm sure there is someone out there to take the wheel of that nice convertible.

supereal    -- 07-09-2019 @ 10:14 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I have a hard time believing my age, until I look in the mirror. I have been very fortunate in life. My kids are doing fine, I have four grandkids, and the only gap in my life is the loss of my wife of 63 years in 2018. She loved convertibles, and so did our dog, my constant companions when the '47 was rolled out. Most of my "old car" friends are gone now. I have been learning housekeeping, cooking, and how to run the washing machine, vacuum, and other household necessities, leaving little time for the cars. I built the convertible as a "driver", with an overdrive, good lighting, etc. I haven't advertised the convertible yet, and anyone interested can reach me at 319/325-2978. The email address in the Roster is out of date.

therunwaybehind    -- 07-10-2019 @ 12:28 PM
  I came to the Early Ford V-8 Club to drive my interest directly to the as built version of my first car. I had a bad experience with trolls around 2008 who took issue with my posting render of a model of my father's 1953 Ford Country Sedan which some know was all steel, no wood, station wagon. They insisted that on the Internet only the penultimate version of an image could be shown and they insisted that TurboSquid was where those models were sold. I had no interest in selling my models which take me sometimes weeks to make and were then strictly made from memory with no immediate go-bys. Then one asked me to make him a "Rock an Roll" car. At the time I was reading a magazine that had come to be know as "Live Design" that included all the lighting and props for stage shows. I had thought about making prop art for a local theater group so I said to myself, "They probably would like renderable of Janet Joplin's Morris Minor convertible." I specifically avoided the 47 Ford in "Rebel Without a Cause" and the back ground passing 47 Ford in "A lonely Place" with their ties to movies James Dean and Humphrey Bogart. What I missed was Z-Z Tops 1934 Ford. Got me there, I am rock and roll era around 1957 and on through folk songs to the 8-track and cassette era. Anyway once I posted my model of a convertible version of a 1948 Ford I got a take down notice from a VP of Ford. "Do you own this?" Struck me as odd as Henry Ford himself in 1911 proved nobody owns the car patent that Selden fronted. Now more recently as I was researching 1947 I found that Brooks Stevens invented the shallow draw steel body station wagon with a Jeep version. Oh! My! Stevens/Duryea and all that. Well, here is my naïve and a bit lewd 1953 Ford wagon as rendered now that Benson Ford has the Selden patent documents. Yeah! He was a HAM radio operator. The bear at Yellowstone tried to eat this coil and pulled down the whip at the top!

42guy    -- 07-10-2019 @ 4:33 PM
  I an in the same boat as Supereal. I am nearing 82 and have been doing this since 1964. My 2 daughters don't want the car nor do my grand children. The 42 hasn't been out in 2 years as all the shows here don't really cater to old cars. Everything is 60's factory high power cars. One of the last shows I was at , the car next to me was a brand Vette.

TomO    -- 07-11-2019 @ 7:44 AM
  If you don't drive them, people cannot appreciate them.

I went to a large Cruise Night (newspaper said over 125 cars) a couple of weeks ago and parked in a nice shady spot. I was joined by a 57 Chevy hard top on my left and a 68 Shelby Mustang on my right. I had a lot of people walk over just to look at my 40 Mercury. When I was leaving the Shelby owner said " Your car attracted a lot of people, I would see them walking over towards our cars and they would stop an look at your car and then move on without looking at my car." The Chevy owner said "I agree, they looked at your car and then skipped over my car to look at the Packard Caribbean next to me" . A 39 Ford Tudor with a dual carb and Offenhouser heads and a 40 Tudor with a Chevy V-8 also drew a lot of attention.

On the Dive Your V-8 Day we were at a museum and later at a restaurant. At both places there were admirers of the cars. When our group stopped at a McDonalds for a break, the cars drew a lot of attention from the customers. I was parked in a closed business parking lot waiting for the others to catch up with me and several cars pulled off the road to admire my 53 Lincoln.

There are many reasons that the Early Fords are not drawing the big money that they did a few years ago. Stock market returns, income, expenses, condition of the "restored" cars and the supply of restored cars on the market

Unlike my younger ( I'm 85 years young) friends, Supereal and 42uy, I intend to keep my cars a few more years. It gets more difficult to maintain them every year, but I can still do most of it and I do enjoy driving them. I don't take the long trips like I used to, and most of my driving is to local shows and Cruise nights. I can't take the 90 + degree days or sitting in the sun, but do enjoy the days when it is in the 80's like me. My children do not want my cars and my grandchildren can't afford to maintain them, so they will be sold when I am through with them.

Tom

rustedorrotting    -- 07-19-2019 @ 9:46 AM
  i bought a project vehicle 41 ford in 1989. i became a member shortly after. the one thing that hurt my feelings were those individuals who turned up their noses at any vehicle that wasn't exactly as ford made them. i am trying to restore my vehicle as close to factory as possible. as i plan to drive my ride, i have installed some items that were not nos. the engine i bought in 1991 had wieand heads and an edlebrock 3 deuce manifold. there was nothing wrong with the engine that came with the vehicle, but i seen a 51 ford with the chrome dress up parts and i wanted that on my vehicle. i appreciate a nicely restored ride as much as the next man, but i don't have the deep pockets that some of you do. if we are going to snub members for adding multiple carbs or non original paint schemes, we might as well call the club quits.

dandy32    -- 07-19-2019 @ 1:51 PM
  Keep that old Ford going no matter how you need to pull it off

rustedorrotting    -- 07-20-2019 @ 7:00 AM
  i agree. my truck has a flathead 8 with offy heads and an edlebrock manifold sporting 3 2 barrels. it also has ford wire wheels.

trjford8    -- 07-20-2019 @ 7:35 AM
  After reading the comments here I think some people are under the misconception that the V-8 Club does not allow cars that have deviated from stock. Actually the club has three classes that deviate from stock, Touring Class, Touring A class, and Display Class. All allow different types of modifications. It should also be noted that you don't even have to own a car to be a member. All you have to have is the interest in old V-8 Fords and subscribe to the V-8 Times magazine.
Since the new Ford V-8 Foundation Museum has been built it's interesting to note that one of the most popular displays is the one with an old hotrod, a race car, and the vintage speed equipment. The Club's original mission has not changed, but the additional classes that were added to the club have created spots for those that desire to have their car be different. I think most of us have a little hotrod blood running in our veins.
To supereal; Bob I'm very sorry to learn of the passing of your lovely wife. I'm sure she is still watching over you.

wmsteed    -- 07-20-2019 @ 11:53 AM
  I can relate to most of the comments contained within this thread. I turned 85 on July 18, lost my wife of 62 years two years ago and I have had an affliction with old cars since I was 14.
I belong to several old car clubs, Chevrolet, Ford, Oldsmobile and Plymouth. I have at least one vehicle that falls within that range..
I have found that the membership of the majority of the car clubs that cater to the Stock theory are in decline due to their narrow minded attitudes, not wanting modified cars at their functions/mets, or posting questions on their Forum's.
I wonder? How many of the contributor's to the EFV8 Forum have ever taken the time to look at the Ford Barn Forum, which was a spinoff of this Forum due to the closed mind thinking.
The daily traffic on the Ford Barn is amazing compared to the EFV8.
I know I am preaching to the choir, so I will sign out..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

nelsb01    -- 07-20-2019 @ 2:12 PM
  Bill;
Please read triford8's entry above yours.
He sums it up very well---

The Early Ford V-8 Club has not excluded any deviated vehicle. The Club holds a place in the history of the Ford Motor Company.

Correct Dave. I guess that I had hoped that, that was understood.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 7-20-19 @ 7:15 PM

3w2    -- 07-20-2019 @ 5:19 PM
  Bruce,

But not with non-Ford powertrains, as it should be.

westgateblvd    -- 07-20-2019 @ 6:10 PM

This message was edited by westgateblvd on 7-21-19 @ 3:04 AM

westgateblvd    -- 07-21-2019 @ 3:43 AM
  Well I fall between that Rat ( Radical ) Rod, and what is refered to as " Tupperware. " Mine is a Street Rod. I bought my car as a basket case. It has taken me over 26 years, and over $20,000 and it hasn't been driven on the street yet. The body is a 1937 Ford Slantback Deluxe 85 HP is stamped on the badge. The frame is also 1937. That is where it stops. It has a Chevrolet engine and transmission and a Ford rear end. The frame is boxed to make it stronger. The front suspension is a Ford Mustang II. This car is safer than most of the cars that you are driving original. I have 3 point seat belts front and rear with disc brakes in the front.
Now throw me out if you want to, but hear me out first. What I see here is a wealth of information. My drive train may be different than yours, but my body is the same. I am 68 years old. This is the first car I have ever built from the ground up Alone.. It is all Steel. Right down to the running boards. A lot of the parts on my car I had to make myself. I installed a backup camera so as to see behind the car. I think the car is shaped like a piece of candy corn. Very hard to see behind the car from the peep mirrors that are on it, or threw that little rear view mirror. When I go to the car shows. I look for the original 37's to see how Henry Ford made them to see if I could improve on it.
When looking at new members DON'T judge them because they are different from you or your original car. My car is still a 1937 Ford. I RESPECT every one of you for what you have done.
One of the reasons for decline in membership is that you have to grow along with the changes going on today. I guess you could say that this is just my 2 cents..

mfirth    -- 07-21-2019 @ 4:57 AM
  I'm with 3w2 on the non FORD power train.

3w2    -- 07-21-2019 @ 5:52 AM
  Nowhere can I find any reference to a policy of "throwing you out" of this forum or the Club itself for your personal choices of how you equip your car(s). But until such time as the Club formally changes its mandate, the primary focus of its national meets, its judging standards for those national meets and the content of its publications will continue to be on 'as-built' 1932-53 Fords.

51woodie    -- 07-21-2019 @ 6:17 AM
  I'm 70 years old, and an old car enthusiast since I was a kid. I now own a stock '46 Super Deluxe, which I drive as much as I can based on weather. I go to car shows and cruises, where the car gets lots of attention. What I believe is hurting the interest on our cars is the "DO NOT TOUCH" signs and attitudes that a lot of owners have. How do we get young people interested in our cars if they can only look from the outside? I often will let young, and even some older people sit in the car, and I will explain the features that it has. "You mean they had locking steering in 1946?" There are lots of younger people that are interested in old cars, but we need to give them a taste to whet their appetites. I know I have a grandson that is interested in and works on my car, but where will he keep it when I'm gone? A lot of young people now can't afford a house, let alone a garage to keep an old car in.

rustedorrotting    -- 07-21-2019 @ 8:31 AM
  me too. i really don't like to see a nicely restored body of an old ford with a gm drive train. i call them fordolets. where have all the flatheads gone? i recently met a man with an old pickup at a car show. when he purchased it, it was a fordolet, but he spent many dollars having a v8 60 built to put back in it. was the 60 stock? no it had dual carbs. it was very nicely done. the main point is he returned it to close to original. at least it didn't have a chevy small block.

kirkstad    -- 07-21-2019 @ 11:49 AM
  When I was in high school in 64, my first car was a 51 chev. 6cyl. powerglide. A friends dad who had a 1955 T bird at the time, decided he wanted to put a pontiac 389 in it, this was the engine the new GTO's were using at the time.I was able to get the engine real cheap, because not many people wanted a Y block ford given the popularity of the small block chev. at the time. Well, my 51 smoked like a camp fire and put down a trail of trans. fluid every where it went, so with the help of a Hurst motor mount I put that Y block,a 292 I believe,with the trans. and a ford station wagon rear in that chev. I didn't have a tubing bender so I used copper line for brakes.Later after high school I was able to get a 40 ford coupe that sat behind a house that had a 265 chev. engine that had been striped of heads and manifold and was badly rusted.I and a friend lifted the rusted block out with a chain and 4x4. I put in another 265 from a 56 chev. conv. That coupe had only a front seat and nothing else. When I was in Vietnam the town had a clean up drive and my folks were being bugged by city officials, so I gave it to a friend.He had to steer with vice grips because I forgot where I hid the steering wheel. Anyway I'm 74 now and have a mostly stock 36 coupe, still 6v and the original stomp and pray brakes.The frame and trans. number are the same and it has an LB engine, but if I were to fix all the things to make concourse correct, it would be less costly to sell my car and buy one already done.I love how Henry built them, but I like my steal heads, tinted windows,chrome window trim, dual exhaust etc. etc. probably many things done years ago when it was just a jalopy.If I had that 40 today it would have a flat head. My son is 34 and he used my coupe for his wedding and he takes his wife on a date with it from time to time if we agree to babysit. Everything regarding cars today seems so sterile, people rarely check there own oil, let alone wash their own cars. We all have a story tell and that's a bit of mine.I like to think of them as the good old days but they could be really tough sometimes as many of you know. I pray the V8 club keeps on keeping on. The club helps all of us keep connected with beautiful cars and great people as all of you are!
Frank

This message was edited by kirkstad on 7-21-19 @ 2:18 PM

1935fordtn    -- 07-21-2019 @ 9:28 PM
  I have really enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, and it’s nice to hear members opinions. I apologize in advance for my long winded response.

my Opinion is if you look at photos of a AACA National Meets in the 60’s, 80’s, and then in our present time you’ll see a shift. A photo of a AACA Meet from the 60’s shows many “horseless carriage” type brass era cars from the teens. Shift that to twenty years later and you see more 30’s-40’s era cars; and the cycle continues. You’ll notice the same in the street rod shows, where you see more and more Camaros and Mustangs.

With the changes in this cycle the Model T club and horseless carriage club are still going. As a 32 year old member I can promise this club will have my membership until I’m no longer on this earth,
As for the comments regarding hot rods or street rods; you don’t even have to own a Early ford to be a member and receive our excellent magazine. A person could own a Mazda Miata and enjoy the same benefits of being a member as the rest of us with the exception of showing it at a National Meet. For those of you with a Modified Ford with a later Ford engine, etc, ; the display class was introduced years ago as mentioned already to allow you to participate in a national meet.

The Club in my opinion is very well diversified as it stands. This club has members whom enjoy the authenticity and restoration, and those whom just want to drive them and have fun. We all have the same interests and the club is formulated to allow both groups to be active and have a great time! For those of you who haven’t attended a National Meet you are missing out big time!

I’ve been involved in many hobbies in my short life span and you guys as Early ford V-8’ers make this the greatest hobby a guy (or gal) could have. The friends I’ve met while being in this club truly is amazing.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-22-2019 @ 7:13 AM
  hi Declining membership
I have been a MEMBER of the EARLY FORD V8 CLUB since the early 1970's and the AACA also,
I think all car clubs could have a sticker to mount on cars at cars show, that invited new membership or flyers,
or something of up coming antique car events,
no matter the make of car, or truck or motorcycle
when I see a youngster, I invite them , if well" behaved" to sit in my car and take a photo, so they will take away something from their visit to a car show or cruise night, that they might remember.
just maybe the parents will see if the youngster is inspired, maybe that will also inspire the parent to get involved
to teach the youngster about history. of years gone by
and have fun doing something different,
and attend a club meeting, of club outing , even if in their modern iron, it is at least its a start,
I have done this with both my 37 FORD CABRIOLET and 1957 CHEVROLET BELAIR. 2 DR HARDTOP
this just might help. my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman
OLD CARS and trucks are looking for new caretakers, they are out there you just have to find them

mhsprecher    -- 07-22-2019 @ 7:38 PM
  Many good comments.

I take my cars to local cruise ins - lately my Model A mostly, but I get many questions. I need to stay with my car to answer questions, which is not always what I like to do, but it is how we promote these cars. I also drive mine as much as I can. My 45 truck gets a lot of comments whenever I drive it, but it is a beaut. We all need to be ambassadors for our cars.

FWIW, my local Model A club had it's second highest attendance ever at the show it has been putting on for 40 plus years. We have started using social media more and changing the way we publicize - and this is for a show that is only antique cars - no modifieds.

trjford8    -- 07-23-2019 @ 8:28 AM
  Well said Michael(1935fordtn). It's up to us as club members to promote the V-8 Club. Many times we have heard from people "I don't join clubs". So I have changed my sales pitch to subscribing to the V-8 Times. Show them the magazine and promote the hobby via the Ford history route. I carry samples of the V-8 Times with me and have attached labels to the front with the subscription cost and the toll free number of Cornerstone Registration. I pass the Times out at car shows to anyone with a V-8 Ford. As I said in the past we are the ones who have to promote the club.

rustedorrotting    -- 07-23-2019 @ 11:47 AM
  i always wanted an early ford and my truck came to me in 1989. it was a farm truck which means the body was pretty sad although it was a California car. i started by removing all the body , sandblasted and painted the frame, and began rebuilding everything. i towed the truck from Ca. to Indy, to Chicago to Mich. I have been a mechanic professionally since 1971. The truck has been a labor of love and i plan on driving it, weather permitting. It has a flat head v8 with Offy cylinder heads an Edlebrock manifold with 3 deuces and tube headers feeding dual exhaust. Also has 16 in. ford wire wheels. It will never be a show car, but i love it. I plan on driving it in the Newport hill climb and they have already told me they will deduct five seconds because of the duals. this vehicle has shown me things that has me shaking my head. The truck has a column shift and several things had to be fabricated such as the ignition switch. its a combination of a car switch and Henry's evil genious. I have tried to keep it as close to stock as possible and with the turn of a wrench or two it could be stock again, but i like the looks of the engine with its bling. The club has been very useful to my efforts with lots of suggestions and advice but please don't put down my ride because it isn't concourse. one club member recently told me to " sell that piece of junk and buy a real ford"

trjford8    -- 07-24-2019 @ 1:52 PM
  I'm hoping that club member was only kidding when he told you to "sell that piece of junk". Don't worry about it as there are lots of cub members out there that will definitely like your truck. There will always be a critic some wherein the crowd no matter what hobby you are in and what you do. Jealousy is what brings out those type of comments. so it's best to just ignore them

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13035