LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Speedometer

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Speedometer

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

JohnMeyer
03-25-2019 @ 2:25 PM

I have a 36 Ford pickup. Started it today after a few months of sitting in the garage. Took it out and after a few blocks it started to have a loud squeal in the dash and the speedometer indicator was bouncing. Returned home and disconnected the speedometer cable from the back. Took another spin and the noise disappeared. How and with what do I lubricate the speedometer in the dash? Is is as simple as a bit of light oil into the connection? I am a bit of a newcomer to this sort of problem.

trjford8
03-25-2019 @ 4:29 PM
Senior

Remove the speedo from the dash. When out you should see a spot on the back of the housing that looks like it has a felt plug in it. It's a small plug and you can drip some sewing machine oil onto the felt. Hopefully this will cure the problem. Also make sure your cable is properly greased inside the housing. This will require you to take the cable loose at the transmission. No need to pull the cable out of the car. Just pull out the inner cable, grease it and put I back in the outer housing and reconnect. If the speedo continues to squeal you may have to send the speedo out to a shop so it can be taken apart and cleaned and greased.

nelsb01
03-25-2019 @ 7:24 PM
Senior

I believe that this is the spot you are looking for, that trjford8 is talking about.

JohnMeyer
04-19-2019 @ 1:51 PM

I have been a bit "out of commission" and am finally returning to solve the problem. Thanks for the information. Is there any "magic" method of getting the speedometer out of the dash? I am an old round guy and it looks like a pretty hard place to work in.

51woodie
04-20-2019 @ 5:11 AM
Senior

John. My suggestion would be to find some young person who is interested in cars to help out. I enlisted my grandson, to get the job done. I had my grandson take pictures on the backside of the dash with his phone, and from there I could give him instructions as to what needed to be done. Those young people can fold up like pretzels. I also found that he likes getting under the car to do the greasing, as well as helping to wash and polish. The only cost to me is a ride in the '46.

JohnMeyer
04-20-2019 @ 12:46 PM

I already thought of that. My grandson is only 12 but his father is a bit more flexible than I am. Thanks for the thoughts and the photo.

kirkstad
04-20-2019 @ 1:35 PM

The speedometer on my 36 coupe stopped working,and when I removed it, part of the cable was still in the drive of the speedometer,the rest had twisted off.The speedometer was so stiff you could not turn it by hand.I used a little WD-40 and it freed right up.I sprayed a small amount right to the drive.After freeing it up I did take it apart to clean and oil.My needle always jumped because of the strain on the cable.I wish I had checked it out sooner, I would't have had to replace the original cable.

supereal
04-21-2019 @ 11:27 AM
Senior

The usual cause of speedometer noise is the place on the die cast body of the unit where the cable connection screws in. The system depends on the case to contain the cable sheath in alignment with the square hole in the speedo itself. There is no bearing or bushing there. Any deviation will cause the magnetic disc to contact the disc that operates the needle and odometer. Given the age of these units, it is a small miracle that they have lasted so long. Noise is a warning of the coming of loss of the speedo. We send them to Bob's Speedometer in Michigan. They will inspect it and provide an estimate of repair cost. They have been doing all kinds of gauges, clocks, tachs. etc. since 1929. Their number is 800/592-9673

51woodie
04-24-2019 @ 3:49 AM
Senior

Just had my clock and speedo done at Bob's. The service is just as supereal describes. They answer the phone when you call, and you get to talk to one of the techs if you have a question. Good service and good people.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org