Topic: Speedometer

JohnMeyer    -- 03-25-2019 @ 2:25 PM
  I have a 36 Ford pickup. Started it today after a few months of sitting in the garage. Took it out and after a few blocks it started to have a loud squeal in the dash and the speedometer indicator was bouncing. Returned home and disconnected the speedometer cable from the back. Took another spin and the noise disappeared. How and with what do I lubricate the speedometer in the dash? Is is as simple as a bit of light oil into the connection? I am a bit of a newcomer to this sort of problem.

trjford8    -- 03-25-2019 @ 4:29 PM
  Remove the speedo from the dash. When out you should see a spot on the back of the housing that looks like it has a felt plug in it. It's a small plug and you can drip some sewing machine oil onto the felt. Hopefully this will cure the problem. Also make sure your cable is properly greased inside the housing. This will require you to take the cable loose at the transmission. No need to pull the cable out of the car. Just pull out the inner cable, grease it and put I back in the outer housing and reconnect. If the speedo continues to squeal you may have to send the speedo out to a shop so it can be taken apart and cleaned and greased.

nelsb01    -- 03-25-2019 @ 7:24 PM
  I believe that this is the spot you are looking for, that trjford8 is talking about.

JohnMeyer    -- 04-19-2019 @ 1:51 PM
  I have been a bit "out of commission" and am finally returning to solve the problem. Thanks for the information. Is there any "magic" method of getting the speedometer out of the dash? I am an old round guy and it looks like a pretty hard place to work in.

51woodie    -- 04-20-2019 @ 5:11 AM
  John. My suggestion would be to find some young person who is interested in cars to help out. I enlisted my grandson, to get the job done. I had my grandson take pictures on the backside of the dash with his phone, and from there I could give him instructions as to what needed to be done. Those young people can fold up like pretzels. I also found that he likes getting under the car to do the greasing, as well as helping to wash and polish. The only cost to me is a ride in the '46.

JohnMeyer    -- 04-20-2019 @ 12:46 PM
  I already thought of that. My grandson is only 12 but his father is a bit more flexible than I am. Thanks for the thoughts and the photo.

kirkstad    -- 04-20-2019 @ 1:35 PM
  The speedometer on my 36 coupe stopped working,and when I removed it, part of the cable was still in the drive of the speedometer,the rest had twisted off.The speedometer was so stiff you could not turn it by hand.I used a little WD-40 and it freed right up.I sprayed a small amount right to the drive.After freeing it up I did take it apart to clean and oil.My needle always jumped because of the strain on the cable.I wish I had checked it out sooner, I would't have had to replace the original cable.

supereal    -- 04-21-2019 @ 11:27 AM
  The usual cause of speedometer noise is the place on the die cast body of the unit where the cable connection screws in. The system depends on the case to contain the cable sheath in alignment with the square hole in the speedo itself. There is no bearing or bushing there. Any deviation will cause the magnetic disc to contact the disc that operates the needle and odometer. Given the age of these units, it is a small miracle that they have lasted so long. Noise is a warning of the coming of loss of the speedo. We send them to Bob's Speedometer in Michigan. They will inspect it and provide an estimate of repair cost. They have been doing all kinds of gauges, clocks, tachs. etc. since 1929. Their number is 800/592-9673

51woodie    -- 04-24-2019 @ 3:49 AM
  Just had my clock and speedo done at Bob's. The service is just as supereal describes. They answer the phone when you call, and you get to talk to one of the techs if you have a question. Good service and good people.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12773