LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Overdrive not working

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Overdrive not working -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

rtrains
03-04-2019 @ 5:15 PM

I recently had my ‘50 ford serviced. Purchased last Jan. Overdrive worked fine before having it serviced. Transmission was low on lubricant mechanic added one qt. Of synthetic gear oil. Could this cause my problem?

MG
03-04-2019 @ 6:19 PM
Senior

There is a good chance that the wire to the governor on the OD was accidentally disconnected while adding the lubricant. There is a bullet connector close to the location of the OD filler plug....

This message was edited by MG on 3-4-19 @ 6:19 PM

carcrazy
03-04-2019 @ 9:33 PM
Senior

The B-W overdrive used in your car requires special API GL-1 gear oil in both chambers of the transmission - they are interconnected. Do not use synthetic oil in the overdrive as it is too slick and there will not be enough friction to engage the over run clutch that engages the overdrive. Since synthetic oil has been put in your transmission, the only sure way to get it all out of the transmission is to take it apart, flush it all out and clean all of the parts individually to get all of the synthetic oil residue off. One source for the proper oil for the B-W overdrive transmission is NAPA. The SAE 90W Mineral Gear Oil API GL-1 is available in a 1 gallon container under part no. 65-201. Your local NAPA Store may not have it in stock but they can order it for you and have it the next day.

MG
03-04-2019 @ 11:12 PM
Senior

carcrazy - One quart of synthetic gear lube is going to cause his overdrive to completely quit????

I've read both pros and cons on the use of synthetics in Borg Warner Overdrives. I know several guys who use synthetic gear lube in their B-W Overdrive transmissions with no problems. The GL1 you mention is for yellow metal protection. I don't believe 'rtrains' has to go through the push-ups you stated....

This message was edited by MG on 3-5-19 @ 2:35 PM

sarahcecelia
03-06-2019 @ 9:57 AM
Senior

Never, never use synthetic oil or gear lube!!That synthetic will eat your brass/bronze bushings and synchronizers up. I know the product to use in you trans, and if you ask I'll look it up and tell you; or call Randy Rundle @Fifth Avenue Garage, in Clay Center , Kansas City ,Kansas. 785-632-3540

Regards, Steve Lee

MG
03-06-2019 @ 11:21 AM
Senior

I'd like to find out what caused 'rtrains' OD to completely quit. One quart of synthetic gear lube certainly wouldn't do that.

BTW - Any synthetic gear oil with a GL4 Rating will work just fine in a Borg-Warner Overdrive tranny.

Example: Red Line MT-90

Manual transmissions require a gear oil with reduced slipperiness to improve synchronizer function. Red Line MT-90 is an API GL-4 synthetic gear lube that protects synchronizers and gears from wear. Its additive package also enables easier shifting in cold temperatures.

Like all GL-4 lubricants, MT-90 lacks the sulfur additives that can corrode and damage brass and copper manual transmission components. Its base stock is ester-based, so it is shear-stable in most operating temperatures. MT-90 is suitable for GM, Ford, VW, Audi and many other applications.

AMSOIL makes a Synthetic Gear Lube with a GL4 Rating as well....

This message was edited by MG on 3-6-19 @ 11:59 AM

MG
03-06-2019 @ 11:55 AM
Senior

rtrains - There is a fuse for your overdrive under the hood on the firewall. Did you check it to see if it's blown/open? I think it's a 30 Amp fast-blow fuse...

This message was edited by MG on 3-6-19 @ 12:08 PM

sarahcecelia
03-09-2019 @ 4:18 PM
Senior

Synthetic is too slippery and will cause the needle bearings to bind, destroying them. Read: Randy Rundle's Guide to Borg Warner Overdrive Transmissions, or phone him; Fifth Avenue Garage, Clay Center Kansas City,Kansas. Randy knows his stuff! He prepares cars for "The Great Race" every year and they WIN!! He's the guy that made the very first 6 volt alternator. He's really One Smart Cookie!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

FrankM-RG5
03-13-2019 @ 5:48 PM

I'm running synthetic in my overdrive for over 45,000 miles. Just had it apart and all the brass and needle bearings look fine. It was only apart to fix a leak at the front bearing retainer. I think the rear bushing and seal were bad too.

fsacht
03-14-2019 @ 3:53 PM

What did they service on your 50 Ford? MG has offered sensible possibilities. Sounds like they broke a wire or connection at the transmission. Unless they're familiar with these early OD circuits there is no telling what they might have done. If they did ignition work and changed the coil they may have failed to connect the kick-down wire, or connected it to the wrong coil terminal. That lead connects to the coil at the terminal that goes to the distributor (the primary wire).

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org