Topic: Overdrive not working

rtrains    -- 03-04-2019 @ 5:15 PM
  I recently had my ‘50 ford serviced. Purchased last Jan. Overdrive worked fine before having it serviced. Transmission was low on lubricant mechanic added one qt. Of synthetic gear oil. Could this cause my problem?

MG    -- 03-04-2019 @ 6:19 PM
  There is a good chance that the wire to the governor on the OD was accidentally disconnected while adding the lubricant. There is a bullet connector close to the location of the OD filler plug....

This message was edited by MG on 3-4-19 @ 6:19 PM

carcrazy    -- 03-04-2019 @ 9:33 PM
  The B-W overdrive used in your car requires special API GL-1 gear oil in both chambers of the transmission - they are interconnected. Do not use synthetic oil in the overdrive as it is too slick and there will not be enough friction to engage the over run clutch that engages the overdrive. Since synthetic oil has been put in your transmission, the only sure way to get it all out of the transmission is to take it apart, flush it all out and clean all of the parts individually to get all of the synthetic oil residue off. One source for the proper oil for the B-W overdrive transmission is NAPA. The SAE 90W Mineral Gear Oil API GL-1 is available in a 1 gallon container under part no. 65-201. Your local NAPA Store may not have it in stock but they can order it for you and have it the next day.

MG    -- 03-04-2019 @ 11:12 PM
  carcrazy - One quart of synthetic gear lube is going to cause his overdrive to completely quit????

I've read both pros and cons on the use of synthetics in Borg Warner Overdrives. I know several guys who use synthetic gear lube in their B-W Overdrive transmissions with no problems. The GL1 you mention is for yellow metal protection. I don't believe 'rtrains' has to go through the push-ups you stated....

This message was edited by MG on 3-5-19 @ 2:35 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 03-06-2019 @ 9:57 AM
  Never, never use synthetic oil or gear lube!!That synthetic will eat your brass/bronze bushings and synchronizers up. I know the product to use in you trans, and if you ask I'll look it up and tell you; or call Randy Rundle @Fifth Avenue Garage, in Clay Center , Kansas City ,Kansas. 785-632-3540

Regards, Steve Lee

MG    -- 03-06-2019 @ 11:21 AM
  I'd like to find out what caused 'rtrains' OD to completely quit. One quart of synthetic gear lube certainly wouldn't do that.

BTW - Any synthetic gear oil with a GL4 Rating will work just fine in a Borg-Warner Overdrive tranny.

Example: Red Line MT-90

Manual transmissions require a gear oil with reduced slipperiness to improve synchronizer function. Red Line MT-90 is an API GL-4 synthetic gear lube that protects synchronizers and gears from wear. Its additive package also enables easier shifting in cold temperatures.

Like all GL-4 lubricants, MT-90 lacks the sulfur additives that can corrode and damage brass and copper manual transmission components. Its base stock is ester-based, so it is shear-stable in most operating temperatures. MT-90 is suitable for GM, Ford, VW, Audi and many other applications.

AMSOIL makes a Synthetic Gear Lube with a GL4 Rating as well....

This message was edited by MG on 3-6-19 @ 11:59 AM

MG    -- 03-06-2019 @ 11:55 AM
  rtrains - There is a fuse for your overdrive under the hood on the firewall. Did you check it to see if it's blown/open? I think it's a 30 Amp fast-blow fuse...

This message was edited by MG on 3-6-19 @ 12:08 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 03-09-2019 @ 4:18 PM
  Synthetic is too slippery and will cause the needle bearings to bind, destroying them. Read: Randy Rundle's Guide to Borg Warner Overdrive Transmissions, or phone him; Fifth Avenue Garage, Clay Center Kansas City,Kansas. Randy knows his stuff! He prepares cars for "The Great Race" every year and they WIN!! He's the guy that made the very first 6 volt alternator. He's really One Smart Cookie!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

FrankM-RG5    -- 03-13-2019 @ 5:48 PM
  I'm running synthetic in my overdrive for over 45,000 miles. Just had it apart and all the brass and needle bearings look fine. It was only apart to fix a leak at the front bearing retainer. I think the rear bushing and seal were bad too.

fsacht    -- 03-14-2019 @ 3:53 PM
  What did they service on your 50 Ford? MG has offered sensible possibilities. Sounds like they broke a wire or connection at the transmission. Unless they're familiar with these early OD circuits there is no telling what they might have done. If they did ignition work and changed the coil they may have failed to connect the kick-down wire, or connected it to the wrong coil terminal. That lead connects to the coil at the terminal that goes to the distributor (the primary wire).

MG    -- 03-15-2019 @ 10:31 AM
  Given his lack of communication, 'rtrains' must have found/resolved his OD problem. I'm still curious to find out what the problem was though....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12730