LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / VIN# help needed

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: VIN# help needed -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Ride75
03-12-2010 @ 11:33 AM

We bought a Ford F-100 sh*ll dated best we can figure between a 49 and 52 but really not sure. There is no title and we are trying to figure out how we can get one. We did find the vin plate on the fire wall. It contains stars, numbers, and letters with a total of 15 characters. The DMV has so far not been able to help us and I am trying to get in touch with the District Inspector. What do we do from here?

supereal
03-12-2010 @ 12:54 PM
Senior

If the data on the plate is readable, I'd post it here for better advice. Most DMV records do not go back that far, and "homeland security" regulations prevent most efforts to track the number. Depending upon your jurisiction, if the plate is riveted to the firewall, and appears genuine, your DMV may allow you to use it to apply for a title, perhaps of the "bonded" variety. From the photo, it looks like it will be a tough and expensive project.

Ride75
03-12-2010 @ 1:20 PM

I told my husband he is looking at 20 years and $40k haha. His intention is to restore it with our 4 kids. More of a bonding project I suspect. The plate is covered in paint but I will try to find a year. I was told about the bonding process by a not so helpful state inspector. I have seen on-line where you can buy a rolling chassis with a title. I asked her if we could just put the sh*ll on one of them and use that title and she never would give me an answer. Is this an option?

JebNY
03-12-2010 @ 3:16 PM

If I'm seeing the raised panels corectly on the bed sides that would narrow the year to 1948, 49, early 50. They switch to flat panels behind the fenders during 1950 production.

There is very little to tell those 3 years apart from a photo other than serial number. Some paint pin striping (probably gone) chrome versus painted trim on wind wing frame upright, etc. The 48 had a slightly different variation of the flathead V8 if it is an eight. I think the 6s were pretty much the same.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

trjford8
03-12-2010 @ 6:39 PM
Senior

On the F-1 pickup you will find a frame number on top of the right frame rail between the firewall and the front crossmember. This number should match the number on the I.D. plate that is on the inside of the glovebox door or the plate on the firewall.Most states require a frame # for registration purposes.
I would not spend any money on this truck unless you can get an ownership certificate. From your photo this looks like a major project that could cost a lot more than the truck is worth. I don't want to discourage anyone from saving an old Ford, but sometimes they may not have enough good parts to be saved. If your husband is a novice at this type of project he needs to talk to people who have had experience in restoring cars. It will help him to keep from making some costly mistakes.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-12-10 @ 6:59 PM

Ride75
03-13-2010 @ 5:08 AM

We are going to work on taking the body off of the frame tomorrow hopefully if the weather stays nice. The plate in the glove box is gone but the one on the fire wall is *98R6*396153*HP. If this means anything I would love to know. We used oven cleaner to get enough paint off to read it. Thanks for everyones help.

supereal
03-13-2010 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

Tom is giving you excellent advice regarding finding finding a more suitable truck or car for your first venture into restoration. Pickups are an excellent first project, and decent examples are still usually priced within reason. We are often asked about this subject at our shop, and we always strongly suggest that a candidate for even the most modest restoration should be drivable when bought, and with a clear, verifiable, title included. That way, if you lose interest or find yourself in over your head in the money or skill department, you should be able to recover some of the cost.

51f1
03-13-2010 @ 2:27 PM
Senior

*98R6*396153*HP

That's probably 98RC. The 9 indicates a '49 model. The 8RC indicates an F-1 with a 239 8-cylinder engine, however, the same designation was continued into 1951, so it could be a '49, '50, or early '51 model. Although most literature claims that the change-over to the later model numbers occurred on September 15, 1951, many of us with trucks manufactured early in calender year 1951 have the later style model number, e.g., *F1R1SR18046*. Someone who has the serial numbers by year could tell you in which year it was actually built. Sometimes, the number stamped into the cowl has the date built. That depends upon where it was made. The cowl numbers are inconsistent from plant to plant.

Richard

trjford8
03-13-2010 @ 4:58 PM
Senior

If you can find the frame number on the top of the right side frame rail I have a book that can interpret the #. This would be the most accurate way to determine the specifics of your truck. If you are trying to get paper work on the truck most states require a frame number.

Norm
03-13-2010 @ 5:59 PM

I have a '48 F-1 which is, of course, the same as '49 and '50. My VIN is on a metal tag on the inside of the glove box door.

Norm

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org