LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / '51 8BA RPMs

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '51 8BA RPMs -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Big Red 51
11-28-2009 @ 6:19 AM

I run my stock '51 PU on the hiway with a HD 3 speed and 4.27 rear end. I usually run around 50 MPH which sounds like a "comfortable" speed but I do not want to over burden the engine on a 600 mile run. Is there a formula for calculating the RPM and what is a good speed or RPM with this setup for sustained running? If a tach is required, what is the best way to hook one up?
Thanks, Don

Stroker
11-28-2009 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

(0.00595) * (RPM * r) / (R1 * R2) = vehicle speed in
miles/hour

where:
RPM = engine speed, in revolutions/minute
r = loaded tire radius (wheel center to
pavement), in inches
R1 = transmission gear ratio
R2 = rear axle ratio

supereal
11-28-2009 @ 8:25 AM
Senior

Most truck gearing is for power, rather than hiway speed, so they are set up to place the maximum engine speed close to the power band, where horsepower and torque are at peak. That occurs around 2,500 rpm. Most of the trucks I've seen hit that at about 50-55 mph. You will need access to a tachometer to determine where you are. The sticker is that to alter the engine speed, it can only be done by a change in rear axle gears, for a large change, or wheel and/or tire size for modest adjustments. Many of us have installed aftermarket overdrives for modern hiway driving. I have one in my '47 that reduces the engine speed by 33% when engaged. I use it above 40-45 mph. Mitchell and others make them, but you will have to do some searching for your '51. As to the tach, most diagnostic types hook up between the input terminal of the distributor and ground, and are calibrated to number of cylinders.

Big Red 51
11-28-2009 @ 3:33 PM

Thanks for the formula Stroker and the comments Super.
Looks like 2500 rpm puts me at about 49 MPH with my setup. My rebuild has about 3000 miles on it. So I have been running about 55 which is out about 2800 rpm. Is 2800 harmful?
Super, about how much is a Mitchell OD if I can find one?
Thanks, Don

ford38v8
11-28-2009 @ 6:22 PM
Senior

Don, I don't believe the Mitchell OD will work on your truck. It's for torque
tubes, not open driveshafts.

Alan

supereal
11-30-2009 @ 9:38 AM
Senior

I believe Alan is right, but they may be able to point you toward a unit that will work. We have swapped rear axles in light trucks over the years when we were able to find them in salvage yards. Most will fit with some minor revisions to the spring pads and the driveshaft. We used that approach when we dropped a V8 into an Econoline pickup a couple of years ago. I don't think 2800 will harm your truck, but it gets really tiresome to hear the roar and feel the vibration. Most old trucks are not subjected to the loads they were designed for. Even a 10 percent reduction in rear end ratio would help. That would require a ratio in the order of 3.85, more or less.

Dale Fairfax
12-01-2009 @ 7:47 AM

Assuming you have a 1/2 ton or F-1, you should be able to bolt in any '49-'59 Ford/ Merc B-W Overdrive transmission with only moderate difficulty (shortening the driveshaft; intalling some means to shift the side shift box; wiring). Or: install one of the later Ford 4 speed transmissions with the integral O.D.(4th gear is O.D.). Or: on the more complex side install a late T-5 5 speed which requires some sort of adapter plate plus shortening the drive shaft. Finally, you can search for a later rear axle assembly of the right width with a more favorable gear. (Changing the gear ratio in the existing axle can be a problem due to lack of available parts and the difficulty of working on the type of rearend end in your truck.)

Big Red 51
12-02-2009 @ 6:46 AM

Thanks Dale and others, I may explore some of these options. Of course, I can continue to stay under 55 on the hiway. These trucks are not all that stable at higher speeds anyway. If the old 4.27 fails I will replace with a lower gear ratio.
Thanks, Don

supereal
12-02-2009 @ 9:16 AM
Senior

Trucks usually have a high center of gravity which amplifies any bounce or sway. A set of really good shocks can go a long way toward making the vehicle safe on the road. If the kingpins have any slop, or the steering box is loose, keeping between the fences can be a chore. Another important factor is proper toe-in adjustment. If not correct, it can set up a dangerous shimmy that requires coming to a stop to regain control. I love old trucks, but getting them in shape for long trips is a very good idea.

wmsteed
12-03-2009 @ 6:17 PM
Senior

In 1951 my father purchased a new Ford F-1 with V8, three on the three, and overdrive. The truck was a custom cab with radio, heater and 16" Firestone split ring wheels...

That truck was the best truck my dad ever had, I had the pleasure of driving the truck all over the western states. With the overdrive, the truck would cruise very nicely at 60 mph plus, when hills were encountered, or we had to pull a trailer, disengaging the OD gave the lower ratio we needed to pull the hills.

It is a little known fact that factory equipt vehicles have a lower axle ratio than non OD vehicles. In the mid 1950's Ford started using 3.89 as the standard axle ratio for OD's, where-as non OD vehicles were somewhere around 3.73 unless the vehicle was ordered with 4.10 or lower axle ratio.

As mentioned in the earlier posting to this topic, you can use the OD unit out of just about any '50/60 Ford car/truck, so long as it is compatible with your trans. Your will have to shorten the drive shaft and have the correct linkage. Sometimes the easiest way to get everything you need for the conversion is to purchase a vehicle that has a factory OD.

You can also use either a Gear Vendors, Mitchel, or one of the other after market units. Your 4.27 axle ratio will still be a little low for an OD, 4.10 or 3.89 would be better.

Don't let someone talk you into a gear ratio higher than 3.89 with a stock engine and a OD because you will not have enough engine to pull the higher ratios.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org