LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Non-Synchromesh transmission

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Non-Synchromesh transmission -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

alanwoodieman
07-20-2020 @ 3:39 PM
Senior

like that grill guard!! they used to be in junk everywhere but alas no true "junk" yards left around here. my 49 has the ss grill bars, but my friend has two 48's and neither one has ss grill bars--just painted argent silver

jyakel
07-20-2020 @ 5:14 AM

F1Ford48,
Great looking truck. And I have to agree with you, that original transmission oil smell is awful.
I have a question about your truck. I always thought a '48 has chrome bars in the grill. And around the headlight bezel is the same color as the body color of the truck. But your '48 has the brushed aluminum bars and same brushed aluminum around the headlights like my '49. So is your truck a '48 or a '49?
Either way, one very nice truck.
John

f1ford48
07-19-2020 @ 12:58 AM

great Forum here- I had my truck out today for a ride and it ran beautifully, I too will try the lucas oil treatment. I dont think I have changed the oil in mine since I rebuilt it years ago. that gear oil smell permeates the cab after many years [in a subtle way ] especially if there is no boot on the shift tower. many folks have said [who owned an F-1 in their youth]'' wow the cab smells just like mine did" I think it is a mix of fuel , 90wt and good old dirt...heres my F-1 on the 4th of July.....

jyakel
07-15-2020 @ 5:11 AM

Alanwoodieman,
That is simply a good looking truck. Thanks for sharing.
John

alanwoodieman
07-14-2020 @ 5:42 AM
Senior

since you like trucks, this is my everyday ride after I retired. 1941 3/4 ton

jyakel
07-12-2020 @ 10:31 AM

Alanwoodieman,
You have helped me many times with your kind and knowledgeable responses to several of my posts. Thank you. And thank you for the tip about Lucas oil extender. I like Lucas products. And yes, the smell of that sulfur loaded old transmission oil is a smell that will never catch on. Nasty stuff.
Everyone finds their own passion in the old car hobby. As for me, I like to keep my '49 F-3 and my '50 Custom Fordor as close to original as possible. My car and truck are never going to be Dearborn award winners. I am happy with having safe, reliable, and fun weekly drivers.
A few pictures enclosed,
John
PS: An F-3 is a hauler, so I made a fake load for the farm back (flat bed). And I made signs for a fake hauling company, 'Henry's Hauling'. All in good fun.

alanwoodieman
07-10-2020 @ 4:52 PM
Senior

the gears are chipped from years of not stopping completely to shift into first gear or reverse. with the F3 and no load on the truck you should be able to just use 2-3-4. If you add about a quart of Lucas oil extender to the trans (don't overfill) it will also help shifting. So you like the smell of the original Sulphur loaded gear oil--old line ford guys have our own name for it--skunk pi--!! sound like you are into the truck. I have been helping a friend with his F2 1951, it also has a four speed trans. another friend has a 1948 F1 and F3 so we have a few around here--I have a 49 F1 about ready for the road. Let us hear from you --pictures, pictures help us pass the days.

jyakel
07-10-2020 @ 7:46 AM

The problem of hard shifting in my Ford F-3 non-synchromesh transmission has been solved. Here is what I found:
1. I listened to the good advice of fellow Early Ford V8ers that took the time to share their wisdom and expertise. (All listed above this post)
2. Like all smart old Ford owners, I took the approach of 'let's start with the easiest things first...' rather than pulling out the transmission and doing a major overhaul etc, etc. I started with a simple inspection of what I had. I don't have the equipment (or the courage) to pull out a transmission anyway.
3. Here is what I found:
a.) I found the transmission case to be way low on transmission fluid.
b.) The source of the transmission leak was a worn rear transmission seal.
c.) I found upon draining the transmission fluid that the transmission case had a lot of sediment at the bottom of it. Man, does that transmission fluid smell! It must have been the original fluid from 1949.
d.) Upon opening the transmission inspection plate I found some gears to be worn from years of driving, shifting, and wear. (See my photos below)
4. Here is what I did:
a.) I cleaned the transmission case of all the sediment as best I could.
b.) I installed a new rear transmission seal. Special note: James Saccoccio of Gotham Auto Parts in New York is a great source for hard to find parts for larger Ford trucks like my F-3 and bigger trucks. Contact James at sales@gothamautoparts.com. James had the exact seal I needed and shipped it promptly.
c.) I had my wife slowly go through the gears while I observed the working of the transmission through the inspection hole. It was an education to see how all this works. Amazing actually. I asked Pam if she wanted to come underneath to see everything work and I'll shift the gears. She said, 'no'.
d.) After installing the inspection plate and drain plug I filled the transmission with 90-140 weight transmission oil. (No leaking at the new seal)
e.) Next, I adjusted the clutch peddle travel. With my wife's help (again) I asked her to call out when there was about 1" to 1 1/2" of free play before the clutch peddle gave resistance. It took about 5-6 turns inward of the clutch peddle clevis to get 1" to 1 1/2" of free play. That was a lot in my opinion-even though I had never done this before.
f.) Finally, it was time for a test drive. I thought 'okay, how badly did I screw all this up?' To my surprise my truck shifted smoothly and the clutch engaged smoothly too-like butter! I couldn't believe it.

So, was it the new transmission seal? Or draining the old transmission oil and refilling with 90-140 weight oil? Or adjusting the clutch? Or all the above? Not sure, but just very glad my truck now shifts without any trouble. I still have to double clutch to be sure, but sometimes I can shift without using the clutch. That is a great feeling!
Thank you Early Ford V8ers for your help.
John
PS: It was hard to see the wear on some of my transmission gears, so I made a drawing of what I found inside the transmission case. I know there is wear, but I suspect this transmission will out last me. And right now it is working just fine.

jyakel
04-26-2020 @ 6:34 AM

Hello Carcrazy, Allanwoodieman, Cliftford, 37Ragtopman, f1Ford 48, Charlie Stephens, and Barney and all that responded to my non-synchro transmission thread here. I apologize that I have not been back to visit this thread for a while but the new posts/responses from all of you are greatly appreciated. Let me pick your brains a bit more here. Here is what I know:
1. When the truck (and tranny) are cold it shifts much better. Almost like the trans oil is thicker (due to the cold) and adds a bit more coating of oil to the gears, hence shifts smoother? Possible? Not possible? Comments?
2. When the tranny warms up there is more 'slop' in the gear shifter. When shifting, I listen very carefully to the engine and the whine of the tranny (straight gear trannies do whine a lot, a sound I love by the way) but like Allanwoodieman says, I try not to think about it, I just do it, and most of the time it shifts okay. I find that if I up-shift at lower speeds everything works better. If I get to 4th gear at 20-25 mph then everything is fine. I have been told (probably by one of you) that non-synchro trannies are meant to get to 4th gear asap and then stay there all day. The high ratio rear end on my truck allows me to stay in 4th gear even as low as 10 mph-as long as I am easy on the truck, which I am. The only problem with that is that everyone else in the world is in a hurry. So my slow starting F-3 is only driven on back roads, never a principle highway.
3. Finally, Barney called this one right on the money: when I am shifting going up hill it shifts fine. When shifting going down hill is when problems arise. Sometimes I simply cannot find 4th gear when going down hill. The tranny will grind and resist any attempt to engage in 4th gear. So here is what I have done in that situation: a. I try to shift to 4th gear even sooner than normal, b. I sometimes start moving in 3rd gear (down hill remember) then quickly get to 4th gear, or c. sometimes start in 2nd gear and skip 3rd gear and go directly to 4th gear.
So, comments, advice, help?
Thank you,
John

Barney
11-06-2019 @ 5:26 PM

Hi John,
I agree with 'Carcrazy's' basic, to-the-point explanation - matching input (engine speed) speed to output speed (driveshaft speed). You mentioned you usually have no problem shifting, but occasionally you have trouble. My guess is you have trouble when on a hill. When traveling uphill, you're probably more hurried to shift; when traveling downhill you're probably less hurried to shift. But it's counter-intuitive. When shifting going uphill, you need to shift at a slower rate. The truck (driveshaft) will slow down faster, thus you need to wait a bit longer for the engine speed to slow down more so to match the input/output speeds. Conversely, when shifting going downhill, the truck (driveshaft) may slow down very little and may even accelerate, so you'll need to shift quickly before the engine speed (input) slows down too much. Have fun practicing, Barney

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org