LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Purchasing Information for 1935

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Purchasing Information for 1935 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

rwf1935
02-23-2019 @ 12:41 PM

I am a new member that is thinking of buying a 1935 sedan. What should I be looking for as I inspect that year and model? What would be particular weak points?

3w2
02-23-2019 @ 2:47 PM
Senior

Depending on the body type, rust through or inadequate repair of floor pan. Rust through in the frame near the rear axle where the legs of the X member meet the side rails.

Beyond those there could be many other considerations depending on your criteria and what use for the vehicle you have in mind, such as completeness, authenticity, etc.

1934 Ford
02-23-2019 @ 3:07 PM
Senior

Go to the Store on this web-site and spend $29.95 for the Ford Book for 1935/1936.
Then contact the Early Ford V8 Club Chapter in your area. Each year is different and
the knowledge in this book and some experienced V8'er help and you be in good shape
as a informed buyer. Good Luck.

1934 Ford's since 1972

CharlieStephens
02-23-2019 @ 3:41 PM
Senior

Make sure the serial number on the top of the left frame rail matches the number on the title. Make sure the font of the number on the frame is correct and it was not just punched in with stamps from harbor freight. You can find serial number information here: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm . The font is shown at the bottom of the page.

Add your general location and email too your profile, you can never tell when or how it will pay off.

Charlie Stephens

TomO
02-24-2019 @ 8:35 AM
Senior

Drive the car for at least 20 minutes under conditions that you intend to use it. Make sure that it accelerates smoothly and stops quickly. Make sure that it steers straight and doesn't wander all over the road. Watch the temperature gauge to make sure that it does not overheat during normal driving conditions. Make sure that you will be comfortable in driving the car.

None of these will be the same as a modern car. The brakes will not stop as fast and the steering will not be as precise as a modern car.

Tom

trjford8
02-24-2019 @ 10:57 AM
Senior

If you have a friend who is experienced with old cars(Ford experience would be a plus) take them with you to look at the car. A second set of eyes will see many things you may miss in your excitement to make a purchase.. Be patient and do educate yourself. Buying the V-8 Club's 35-36 book is a great first step. If you are not already a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club you should join. The V-8 Times magazine and the national roster of members is a bargain for $35. You will find cars for sale in the Times by club members and the roster will give you names of members that may live in your area. Those members would be a great resource to help you find what you want in an old Ford. Homework will help you avoid making a purchase that could be a regrettable experience.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-25-19 @ 9:35 AM

37RAGTOPMAN
02-24-2019 @ 11:08 AM
Senior

HI,
try buy the best for your money,
they get expensive it you have to farm out the work,
if you are handy , then that might not matter, if you like doing a restoration,
this takes many hours of your time., but you will get satisfaction when it is done,
also most IMPORTANT,
Make sure it is complete, because if it is missing parts they might be hard to find, like 4 working shocks,
how old are the tires, WW tires today are around $900.00 so things can add up QUICK,,,
just one of many Thing,
suggestions from other members said ROAD TEST, if it runs,
let the owner take you for a ride,, and maybe you can drive the car in a remote area with no traffic so you can get a handle
to what expect, not a modern car but not that bad one your are used driving one,
if owner says NO test ride, LEAVE
you can also hire a appraiser to look at it for you if you find one far away,
or contact a EARLY FORD V8 in your V8 TIMES roster for a member in that area they might know the car, in their area,
do not buy with out someone looking at it for you
hope this helps 1937 RAGTOPMAN
P.S. BUY the 1935 1936 book and get know what is right on the car,before buying one,SO YOU KNOW,,

rwf1935
02-25-2019 @ 12:12 PM

Fellas: Thanks for your responses. I will keep you posted as I continue to look for the right car for me.
rwf1935

1934 Ford
02-28-2019 @ 3:02 PM
Senior

A story to share.
In 2003 I was searching for a 1934 Ford Fordor after selling our 34 Phaeton and a 34 Tudor. My thought was that the enclosed Fordor would be a better bad weather car for tours (The 2001 Glidden Tour was in Michigan's UP and it rained every day and stayed 43 degrees all week)
I discovered 34 Fordor's were hard to find in touring condition. I found one about 100 miles away and went ready to buy if the car was right. I found a beautiful older restoration priced fairly for a #2, but it failed the driving test. It missed when pulling.
I told the guy I was real interested and would like to come back with some tools and parts to make it run better. If I could get it to run on all 8 cylinders, I would buy it. If not, anything I put on it was his to keep.
He was furious and accused me of try to lower the price and said he wouldn't sell it to me at all.
10 year later it was sold by his widow with blown motor for 40% of what he was asking then when I looked at it. Lucky me.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by efv8CofAAdmin on 2-28-19 @ 8:44 PM

hupdoc
03-12-2019 @ 2:33 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I took my 25 year old son to look at a new car .
I remembered back to Dad taking me to look at cars when I was younger . My Grandfather was a mechanic but died soon after I was born . However Dad was a good student and picked up lots about cars. He taught me lots about appraising cars . He had lots of tricks like trying to drive off with the e brake on to test the clutch. I learnt very young how to hold my hand over the exhaust and feel for a missing pot in the flutter against your hand . He also taught me to listen carefully when the car started -Once you've heard a low compression car start up its pretty obvious when you hear it again . Dad has been gone now for 3 years and how I miss him. I try to pass this stuff onto my son but modern cars are a little more complicated to assess even if they are soul less !!-Karl

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org