LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 0il pressure ??

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 0il pressure ?? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

nuffsaid
01-30-2019 @ 6:25 PM

I have low oil pressure in 50 f-1. no noise, or knocks. engine sounds good. been setting long time. Oil pump ? no sludge in engine.

alanwoodieman
01-30-2019 @ 6:53 PM
Senior

couple of questions, one- have you checked with a mechanical gauge? 2-do you have an oil filter?3-how long has the oil been in it and what viscosity are you using 4-low oil pressure cold or hot? or both?

carcrazy
01-30-2019 @ 7:53 PM
Senior

I would suspect the original electrical gauge. I have had this problem on a couple of 1953's and solved it by mounting a mechanical gauge either under the instrument panel or where the clock once resided. With my cars, when the in-dash electrical gauge showed about zero at idle the mechanical gauge showed about 20 PSI. I use an SAE 30 HD oil.

nuffsaid
01-31-2019 @ 11:31 AM

Getting ready to apply mechanical gauge and see what it reads. it has an oil filter w/new filter, 10-w-40 oil. Engine hadn't been run in 20 years. It runs great, just not very high oil pressure. Got side tracked in the restoration of it.

alanwoodieman
02-01-2019 @ 6:34 PM
Senior

post the results of the mechanical gauge test and we will go from there. oil filter canisters have a restrictor orifice on the inlet of the filter, if this is removed the oil pressure will be very low

51f1
02-03-2019 @ 7:50 AM
Senior

Are you sure you have low oil pressure? The first thing to do is hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge where your sending unit is connected and verify your pressure is low. Inexpensive gauges are available at car parts stores.

Richard

nuffsaid
02-03-2019 @ 12:38 PM

hooked up manual gauge, oil pressure made it to 20. drove it for about 8 miles, then noticed the pressure dropping, and went to 0. never had that happen before. no knocking, nothing. checked oil, not low. noted fitting into filter had the restriction hole, cleaned it out before reinstalling it.

Fired truck up this morning, oil pressure went to 22, let truck warm up, at idle pressure went to about 12. only thing i can think of is something maybe to do with oil pump.

This message was edited by nuffsaid on 2-4-19 @ 7:01 AM

TomO
02-04-2019 @ 8:34 AM
Senior

The easiest thing to try is to remove the oil pan and check the oil pump screen. if it is clean, then I would replace the oil pump. Some trucks has a cleanout plate on the oil pan. You could remove the plate and clean the oil pump screen. I don't think that you could remove the oil pump through the opening.

If replacing the oil pump doesn't give you at least 40 lbs cold and 30lbs hot at 1,000 rpm, you are looking at an engine rebuild. Your engine should have the 80# oil pump and the pressure relief valve is on the pump. My car engine has 60# cold and 50# hot at speeds above 20 mph with 10w-30 oil.

Tom

nuffsaid
02-04-2019 @ 11:13 AM

Thanks Tom, Probably have it rebuilt. Then I won't worry so much about it.

TomO
02-05-2019 @ 9:14 AM
Senior

I would not rebuild a good running engine. You may be just throwing money away and you may introduce new problems. It is always bet to just fix the problem you have, rather than try to make the vehicle perfect. Very few shops do good work today and there are none that can make your engine perfect.

Have you checked the compression? Get the engine to normal operating temperature by driving the truck for about 30 minuted, remove all spark plugs, open the throttle all the way and with a fully charged battery check the compression on all cylinders. If any cylinders are more than 10 lbs less than the highest cylinder, add a small amount of oil to that cylinder to see if the reading changes, If it does you have worn rings, if it doesn't than you have a valve seating problem. Typical readings would be around 115 lbs.

If your compression is equal within +or - 5 lbs, your engine is probably not worn out and your oil pressure problem can most likely be repaired by cleaning the pump screen or replacing the pump. The restictor opening to the oil filter may also be enlarged, you can check to see if this is the problem by removing the line at the block fitting and plugging it. Then take a new reading of your oil pressure.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org