LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Cartouche vs LeBaron Bonny

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cartouche vs LeBaron Bonny -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

wilmalcolm
01-31-2013 @ 4:27 PM

Hi,
Which is recommended? I know everyone seems to recommend LeBaron Bonny, but is Cartouche as good? I am re Upholstering my '35 3 widow coupe. Mac's is having a sale ending tonight on Cartouche upholstery. Any comments?
Thanks,
Will

kubes40
01-31-2013 @ 5:59 PM
Senior

You've obviously done some research on this topic already. And,I think you have answered your own question. There is a reason (more than one actually) that most folks doing top restorations prefer
Lebaron-Bonney.
LB most certainly has Cartouche beat in quality and service / instruction (if needed).
Cartouche has LB beat in price.
What is most important to you? Quality or price?

trjford8
01-31-2013 @ 6:13 PM
Senior

I have samples of the materials used by LeBaron-Bonney and Cartouche. I got them about 3 years ago. The materials are very close in quality. I mention the time when I received the samples as it's possible they have gone to cheaper materials. I have seen some kits from Cartouche installed and they looked good. They were installed in the 41-48 cars. I have not seen any of their kits installed in the earlier cars. As a general rule if the product is cheaper there is usually a reason. You might also post your question on the Fordbarn to see if anyone there has installed the Cartouche kit in an earlier car.
I have installed approximately 20 LeBaron-Bonney kits from Model A's to 40 Fords. I have not had a problem with the kits and the people at LB are very helpful if you have a problem or question. I have never installed a Cartouche kit.

Oldad
01-31-2013 @ 6:19 PM

I got prices for a '37 Ford Fordor and there was no significant difference between the two.

Old Henry
01-31-2013 @ 7:59 PM
Senior

Here's LeBaron Bonney's video of the difference between them and their "competitor" which, I think, can only be Cartouche. At the time I did my car I was shopping price and bought Cartouche for about 1/2 price of LB for my '47. Apparently the prices may be more comparable for earlier cars. I'm not sure how much better LB would have been for me but it sure would have cost more. Here's the video: http://www.lebaronbonney.com/video-7.htm

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

flatheadfan
02-01-2013 @ 2:33 AM

I have used car interiors from both suppliers (L-B and Cartouche). The L-B went into a '35 coupe. Nothing fit right. I had to remake each panel and send back both door panels to be re-made (they had a "rib" where the door pull should go). In each case L-B corrected the problem BUT, I had to pay for the return shipping and of course I lost installation time.

The last "repaired" item I received back from L-B had a covering that was a different shade and thickness than what they previously had sent me. I called them about the difference and they said they had changed suppliers and they were no longer stocking the "old" material. Needless-to-say, I wasn't a happy camper.

When it came to my next car ('31 coupe), I decided to give Cartouche a try after my L-B experience. The price was much cheaper than a comparable L-B kit. The result- everything fit like a glove! No installation difficulties, instructions were clear and nothing had to be re-made. The only "problem" I had was a "screw-up" on my part where I messed up a panel. I called Cartouche (talked to Dave) and explained my problem and was honest about the situation. Two days later I had a new panel expressed mailed to me at NO COST! Can't ask for better service than that!

Obviously, I can only speak from my limited experience but I would have no hesitation about using Cartouche in the future. One more thing. I went with their optional synthetic materials (looks and feels like original material). The stuff wears like iron. (MHO)

Tom

42wagon
02-01-2013 @ 3:20 AM
Senior

I have had two experiences with LB. Both excellent. The first was reupholstering a Model A Roadster. They were concerned enough about the stitching to borrow my old upholstery to use as a model. The kit fit perfectly and there were ample instructions.

The second was to reupholster my 42 wagon. Now the samples they sent me in no way matched my upholstery. They readily admitted that the colors for 42 were different from 46 to 48. After some searching I found the leather I wanted and they agreed to use it to make my seats. I had them put it on the seat frames so cannot tell you how much trouble I might have had.

I have never had any experience with Cartouche but can tell you that I would go back to LB when I do my next car.
Ted

wilmalcolm
02-01-2013 @ 6:14 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I have visited the LB factory in Massachusetts a couple of times. They have been very friendly and the tour they gave me was interesting and informative. If for no other reason I see them as real people and the general consensus here is that what they sell is of the best quality and what's more, the sale at Mac's is over for the Cartousche.

jal9846
02-01-2013 @ 6:23 AM

I've used Lebaron Bonney for years, and would not recommend any other company from the standpoint of custmer service and quality. They let you know realistic lead times, and up front if they have any material issues or backorders, etc. Not sure about Cartouche...I know it is usually cheaper...however for a 46 pickup I recently completed...the Cartouche was actually more expensive than the Lebaron Bonney!

woodiewagon46
02-01-2013 @ 6:48 AM
Senior

I have had four cars done with Lebaron-Bonney interiors and highly recommend them. I never had one problem with them.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org