Topic: Cartouche vs LeBaron Bonny

wilmalcolm    -- 01-31-2013 @ 4:27 PM
  Hi,
Which is recommended? I know everyone seems to recommend LeBaron Bonny, but is Cartouche as good? I am re Upholstering my '35 3 widow coupe. Mac's is having a sale ending tonight on Cartouche upholstery. Any comments?
Thanks,
Will

kubes40    -- 01-31-2013 @ 5:59 PM
  You've obviously done some research on this topic already. And,I think you have answered your own question. There is a reason (more than one actually) that most folks doing top restorations prefer
Lebaron-Bonney.
LB most certainly has Cartouche beat in quality and service / instruction (if needed).
Cartouche has LB beat in price.
What is most important to you? Quality or price?

trjford8    -- 01-31-2013 @ 6:13 PM
  I have samples of the materials used by LeBaron-Bonney and Cartouche. I got them about 3 years ago. The materials are very close in quality. I mention the time when I received the samples as it's possible they have gone to cheaper materials. I have seen some kits from Cartouche installed and they looked good. They were installed in the 41-48 cars. I have not seen any of their kits installed in the earlier cars. As a general rule if the product is cheaper there is usually a reason. You might also post your question on the Fordbarn to see if anyone there has installed the Cartouche kit in an earlier car.
I have installed approximately 20 LeBaron-Bonney kits from Model A's to 40 Fords. I have not had a problem with the kits and the people at LB are very helpful if you have a problem or question. I have never installed a Cartouche kit.

Oldad    -- 01-31-2013 @ 6:19 PM
  I got prices for a '37 Ford Fordor and there was no significant difference between the two.

Old Henry    -- 01-31-2013 @ 7:59 PM
  Here's LeBaron Bonney's video of the difference between them and their "competitor" which, I think, can only be Cartouche. At the time I did my car I was shopping price and bought Cartouche for about 1/2 price of LB for my '47. Apparently the prices may be more comparable for earlier cars. I'm not sure how much better LB would have been for me but it sure would have cost more. Here's the video: http://www.lebaronbonney.com/video-7.htm

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

flatheadfan    -- 02-01-2013 @ 2:33 AM
  I have used car interiors from both suppliers (L-B and Cartouche). The L-B went into a '35 coupe. Nothing fit right. I had to remake each panel and send back both door panels to be re-made (they had a "rib" where the door pull should go). In each case L-B corrected the problem BUT, I had to pay for the return shipping and of course I lost installation time.

The last "repaired" item I received back from L-B had a covering that was a different shade and thickness than what they previously had sent me. I called them about the difference and they said they had changed suppliers and they were no longer stocking the "old" material. Needless-to-say, I wasn't a happy camper.

When it came to my next car ('31 coupe), I decided to give Cartouche a try after my L-B experience. The price was much cheaper than a comparable L-B kit. The result- everything fit like a glove! No installation difficulties, instructions were clear and nothing had to be re-made. The only "problem" I had was a "screw-up" on my part where I messed up a panel. I called Cartouche (talked to Dave) and explained my problem and was honest about the situation. Two days later I had a new panel expressed mailed to me at NO COST! Can't ask for better service than that!

Obviously, I can only speak from my limited experience but I would have no hesitation about using Cartouche in the future. One more thing. I went with their optional synthetic materials (looks and feels like original material). The stuff wears like iron. (MHO)

Tom

42wagon    -- 02-01-2013 @ 3:20 AM
  I have had two experiences with LB. Both excellent. The first was reupholstering a Model A Roadster. They were concerned enough about the stitching to borrow my old upholstery to use as a model. The kit fit perfectly and there were ample instructions.

The second was to reupholster my 42 wagon. Now the samples they sent me in no way matched my upholstery. They readily admitted that the colors for 42 were different from 46 to 48. After some searching I found the leather I wanted and they agreed to use it to make my seats. I had them put it on the seat frames so cannot tell you how much trouble I might have had.

I have never had any experience with Cartouche but can tell you that I would go back to LB when I do my next car.
Ted

wilmalcolm    -- 02-01-2013 @ 6:14 AM
  Thank you all for your comments. I have visited the LB factory in Massachusetts a couple of times. They have been very friendly and the tour they gave me was interesting and informative. If for no other reason I see them as real people and the general consensus here is that what they sell is of the best quality and what's more, the sale at Mac's is over for the Cartousche.

jal9846    -- 02-01-2013 @ 6:23 AM
  I've used Lebaron Bonney for years, and would not recommend any other company from the standpoint of custmer service and quality. They let you know realistic lead times, and up front if they have any material issues or backorders, etc. Not sure about Cartouche...I know it is usually cheaper...however for a 46 pickup I recently completed...the Cartouche was actually more expensive than the Lebaron Bonney!

woodiewagon46    -- 02-01-2013 @ 6:48 AM
  I have had four cars done with Lebaron-Bonney interiors and highly recommend them. I never had one problem with them.

42merc    -- 02-01-2013 @ 8:29 AM
  I've used both vendors. LB in Model A's & a v8 station wagon, a very good product. In my '40 coupe (a very pedestrian example per Kube's description) I chose to go with Mac's kit. Because my car is a driver and a price difference of about a thousand dollars. Granted it's not the same as LB, but I'm happy & I can buy more gasoline for my '40 with the money saved.

supereal    -- 02-01-2013 @ 11:39 AM
  I've used L-B kits in several cars. The headliner for my Model A coupe came down overnight, and they replaced it because their "blind stitching" machine had problems. When I did my '47 convertible, the front seat backs split before they could be pulled all the way down. Again, we received replacements at no charge. I was impressed with their immediate assistance. Anyone planning on installing an interior themselves will find that their advice and response is worth any price difference.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-1-13 @ 11:40 AM

35DeluxeCoupe    -- 10-29-2013 @ 7:06 AM
  I am having problems with L_B right now!
It seems nobody there knows the correct upholstery for a 35 coupe. They are insistant about putting welting on the seat bottom and don't offer acolor anywhere near the correct color.
not very happy with them now

trjford8    -- 10-29-2013 @ 7:25 AM
  L.B has expanded the company to include kits for Chevrolets and an upholstery kit called EZ Liner for hotrods. I have found that when a company gets into too many separate projects the quality and service begin to falter. Since my last post on 1-31-13 I have had some experience with items from LB. I found that communications with the person taking the order was a bit difficult. When the items arrived the quality was not exactly the quality I expected from them. They have made me consider the Cartouche alternative.

flatheadfan    -- 10-30-2013 @ 12:12 AM
  I just finished upholstering my '36 cabriolet. I have used both L-B and Cartouche kits and was disappointed in the L-B kit I used on the last car I did. With the '36 I went back to Cartouche for a kit but they did not have vinyl as an option for my '36. So, back to L-B. They had a vinyl option.

It took nearly 3 months to get the kit. Upon arrival two pieces were obviously of poor quality. I contacted them and took pictures they remade the pieces at no cost to me (took three weeks).

Installing the kit became a nightmare. Finally, I gave up and turned the unfinished work over to a professional upholster. He also had difficulty which required additional work on his part. He showed me places where the seat covering and side panels were obviously sewed wrong. This shouldn't be.

Considering the greater cost involved and the experience L-B supposedly has, workmanship shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, for me, it was.

Obviously, others haven't experience any problems but, in my case I can't in good conscience recommend them.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-31-2013 @ 2:57 PM
  I've never had a problem with L-B. They remade the seatback covers for me at no charge when we had problems getting them all the way down before splitting. On the last set, I had a local trim shop put them on. They steamed them (vinyl) until they were limp and slipped right over the generous padding that came woth the kit. As to materials, almost all original types and patterns are obsolete and can't be found unless custom woven at a huge cost. L-B has closely matched them. Next to plumbing, upholstery is my least favorite job. I only want to do it one time, and shaving cost almost always results in regrets. If you are doing a "driver" or other non-show car, cheaper may be OK, but I have found it to be disappointing, if the rest of the vehcle is very good.

MICHV8    -- 11-01-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  turn on pm and I will help with some info on an original LB 35 5W kit from 1990 (still in original box)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5677