LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Phenolic spacer between carb and manifold

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Phenolic spacer between carb and manifold -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

DEAN333
12-28-2012 @ 6:17 PM

Just looking for feedback on installing a phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold to prevent new gas from boiling in the carb. I have a '36 Deluxe Touring Fordoor.

TIM CARLIG

supereal
12-28-2012 @ 8:16 PM
Senior

The main generator of carb heat is the exhaust passages cast into the intake manifold. The intent is to aid vaporization of the fuel to aid combustion. Rather than adding insulation to the carb base, you can plug those passages. We used to use pennies for the purpose to add some tone to dual exhausts. So far,, the "new" gas hasn't presented a boiling problem, as the refiners closely control the "vapor pressure" of the fuel to lessen problems. If the current interest in increasing alcohol content proceeds, that may change. We have used carb base insulators on some modern engines, but not old ones. Fuel boiling is usually associated with "heat soak" when the engine is shut down. This causes evaporation in the carb, which can interfere with restarting. A good fuel pump usually cures that.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-28-12 @ 8:19 PM

JM
12-28-2012 @ 11:02 PM
Senior

There have been several good threads posted on Fordbarn regarding problems with ethanol enriched gas when used in early Ford Flathead powered V8's. G.M. (George Mitch*ll) has come up with some good ideas on how to reduce operating temperatures that normally occur at the fuel pump and carburetor. You should be able to find these threads by using the search function.

JM

JM
12-28-2012 @ 11:04 PM
Senior

Eliminate duplicate post.

This message was edited by JM on 12-28-12 @ 11:07 PM

TomO
12-29-2012 @ 8:12 AM
Senior

If you are having flooding problems after your car warms up, you should check the fuel level in the carburetor. The phenolic spacer is just a band-aid.

Tom

DEAN333
12-29-2012 @ 8:59 PM

I'm not having any problems. I got new thermostats from Robert Shewmake and he included a picture of the spacer in the box, promoting the spacer. Was looking for feedback if it was a good idea to install when I take the '41 intake off to install the correct '36 intake.

TIM CARLIG

v8teditor
12-31-2012 @ 12:59 PM

From the next V-8 TIMES:
Always thinking of helping V-8 enthusiasts, tool and die maker Robert Shewman of Kimberton, Pennsylvania has come up with two new products to add to his popular flex fuel line for the Ford flathead.
Robert is now making a phenolic spacer to keep your carburetor cool when using ethanol based gas. Can be used with either Stromberg or Holley. A spacer kit comes with one spacer that fits between the intake manifold and the carburetor, two gaskets, and three longer studs which help with installation. Sells for $28/each ppd.

nelsb01
12-31-2012 @ 1:17 PM
Senior

In my limited experience, the gas is already hot by the time it gets to the carburetor. The ideal place for a 'spacer' would be the fuel pump. Most vapor lock occurs from the fuel pump to the carb. Or why else would everyone recommend putting a cold rag on the fuel pump and gas line to carb when you experience vapor lock?

supereal
12-31-2012 @ 2:02 PM
Senior

More often than not, "vapor lock" is actually caused by an overheated coil, usually an old one that hasn't been rebuilt with modern materials. The one place where alcohol laced gas is causing problems is in the gas line, itself. The original lines are 1/4", and when rust develops due to the oxygenated fuel, and deposits are loosened, fuel volume decreases in an already limited system. I have a rebuilt coil, and it flummoxed me as to why my car would buck and die now and then until I measured the fuel delivery and found it weak. A new gas line cured it for good. The copper inside coating had disappeared, and the line was so rusted that a wire couldn't be put thru. A carb spacer probably can't hurt, but the flatheads haven't needed them for eight decades.

DEAN333
12-31-2012 @ 5:53 PM

Correction, I meant Robert Shewman.

TIM CARLIG

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org