LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Vibration in new drive shaft, maybe

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Vibration in new drive shaft, maybe -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

SDExpoman
04-29-2011 @ 7:21 AM

Roger that!

TomO
04-29-2011 @ 7:05 AM
Senior

I am glad you found the source of the noise. It is always better to do some diagnosis before you start taking thing apart.

Tom

SDExpoman
04-29-2011 @ 6:30 AM

Update on noise. I took the truck to the brake shop that turned my drums as they had the correct type lift.
The mechanics went thru the undercarrige much like I did without resolve, until they spun the rear wheels. Then the noise was present. After removing the rear right drum, we found the emergency brake arm completely loose as the new retainer clip I had installed failed. Best news I heard all week, as I was not thrilled in the least to potentially have to tear apart the drive shaft assembly. Another note of interest is we also discovered the pads were not making full contact inside the drums (my fault), and they are correcting that today. Thanks to all for your input regarding this matter.

TomO
04-28-2011 @ 7:54 AM
Senior

SDExpoman,

I would get the truck up on a frame contact lift, where the wheels hang free. Have someone in the car start the engine and put the truck in gear. Then have them slowly increase the RPMs until the noise appears. Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and try to isolate the noise.

Mechanical noises will often sound like they are coming from an area that is quite distant from the source.

Tom

supereal
04-27-2011 @ 8:17 PM
Senior

I'd pull the drums and check for loose parts. Almost always, the last thing you do is the cause of a problem. It wouldn't hurt to grease the center bearing, anyway. If that is a problem, it is likely someone removed the grease fitting at some time, allowing the bearing to slide down the driveshaft. The grease fitting secures the bearing carrier in place.

SDExpoman
04-27-2011 @ 4:53 PM

37RAGTOPMAN,

Yes. There is a grease fitting on the tube. If the bearing has gone bad, is this a simple fix? Or more complex? I will check the drums first. I just replaced the entire brake system last month, all seemed tight at the time of re-assembly. Thanks for the suggestions.

37RAGTOPMAN
04-27-2011 @ 4:40 PM
Senior

see if you have grease fitting on the driveshaft tube, if you do the center bearing could be bad letting the solid drive shaft whip around, this is just a guess,
also make sure the rear drums are tight and not hitting the backing plate,
looks like you will have to do a little checking and get back to us,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

SDExpoman
04-27-2011 @ 3:30 PM

supereal,
The sound is only there while driving at speeds of 10 mph or greater. No noise while in idle, or if I jump up and down on the truck itself. It makes no difference if the road is smooth or bumpy.

supereal
04-27-2011 @ 10:38 AM
Senior

Does the sound come only when the truck is moving? Does it increase as speed goes up? It it louder at low speeds? This will help isolate the problem to the drive line, if that is the cause. It is unusual to have a noise from within the torque tube itself, as there is only a roller bearing in the middle with a solid drive shaft. The u-joint could be failing, or the u-joint cover could be loose. I'd also consider that a spring or other component has come loose and dropped into a brake drum. I assume you have checked the hubcaps to be sure that a rock or other debris has not found its way in.

SDExpoman
04-27-2011 @ 10:15 AM

Since were on the topic of drive shafts. My '37 half ton has a cowbell ringing sound coming from the underside. I have tightened everything underneath, and yet the noise remains. Could this be related to a loose componant inside the torque tube? I'm getting tired of kids chasing me down in the neighborhood thinking I'm the ice cream man!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org