LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / '37 21-stud Sharp Head stud alignment issue

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '37 21-stud Sharp Head stud alignment issue

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

gninow
07-03-2022 @ 4:55 PM

I'm now at the point where I can begin the reassembly of my '37 21 stud early ford flathead. I was about to check the valve and piston clearances the new Sharp heads I bought from H&H Flathead. Although the '37s came with dome pistons, mine has flat tops, so the heads were custom milled to accommodate flat top pistons and still provide 8.5:1 compression ratio but, it's a good practice to check clearances. The problem I'm having at the moment is, after installing the new head studs (yes, I checked that they were straight using my machinist's stone), I cannot install the heads over the studs without persuasion - and I simply do not want to come to blows with these nice new heads. I lit the underside of the heads after I positioned them over the studs to see which studs were hanging up and discovered one stud is about 1MM off the centre of the hole in the head. The holes machines into the head are 12MM and a hone will be fine to get those holes to allow clearance for the head to slip on without coming to blows. But, the one stud that's off 1MM is going to need to be bore/drilled/machined out 1MM - my question is this; is it okay to drill/mill/bore that one hole out to 13mm? Your experienced advice would be appreciated. The engine is to be installed in my '35 3Window Coupe. Cheers.

UPDATE: Here's the current state of affairs - when installing a new clean and dry stud into the block, the stud has normal clearance which means, it wiggles side to side - these studs and holes are not machines to tight tolerances and therefore, can be a bit off the perpendicular to the block surface and therefore, cause minor fitment issues. But, once the stud is installed into the block with sealing compound and the stud is installed into the block to the hilt, there is no guarantee the stud will seat perpendicular to the head surface and therefore, some minor adjustments with a reamer will be in order. This is the case for my new heads.

The heads that came off my block originally came off without a fight. I have checked out the head stud holes and they are 14MM average diameter - the new head holes are 12MM. The 14MM holes allows the head to 'move' a tiny bit once seated over the block and therefore, the reason they came off easily. Since my heads were '37 OEM aluminium, there is no telling if they were used on my block exclusively or several others through the years.

I've ordered a 1/4-1/2 reamer which will arrive tomorrow and will ream all but the one stud that is the worst, at which point I will check fitment before I plunge a 13MM end mill bit through that hole - wish me luck folks! I will report back - cheers.

This message was edited by gninow on 7-6-22 @ 9:23 PM

50CaPU
07-03-2022 @ 5:06 PM

Although the stud areas should be beefy, for the cost of the heads I would not accept a machine job done incorrectly.
IMO H&H should make it right and re machine another head for you.
T.

Tim
Downtown, Ca

ford38v8
07-03-2022 @ 5:30 PM
Senior

I agree with 50caPU, but find it very strange that one hole would be incorrect on the head. You might save yourself an argument with them if you switch heads to see if the other one is the same, and also, maybe your block has been reworked? You also say that the heads were milled deeply, perhaps at an incorrect angle?
If push comes to shove and you use the off center head by redrilling, the opposite side of that hole may wind up too close to the head gasket to seal properly. Try verifying that your block is not the problem before hitting on H+H. I don’t envy your situation.

Alan

40 Coupe
07-04-2022 @ 5:03 AM
Senior

After installing the stud in the block, is it perpendicular to the block deck, check in a couple of different planes. There could be a problem with the stud or the blocks threads.

marko39
07-04-2022 @ 5:29 AM

Try a different stud first.

1934 Ford
07-07-2022 @ 1:32 PM
Senior

I don't envy your problem, but want to share that 21 stud flathead engines are always a tight fit, both on and off.
My head puller, made from a spark plug base and a slap hammer is always hard to get the heads off going straight .
up the studs.
Getting them back on is also a chore. i agree that a different stud is a good idea, it would be a shame to ruin the
threads in re-assembly.

1934 Ford's since 1972

zeke3
07-07-2022 @ 6:50 PM

I am planning to make a couple of drill guides to drill out a cylinder head stud that broke on my 1937 21 stud engine. My cylinder heads are cast iron and the hole size is 0.466", 14 mm sounds like it will be way too large for the hole size.

I agree with Tim above, you should go back to the supplier before modifying them.

gninow
07-10-2022 @ 10:55 AM

After all the input here and speaking to H&H I decided to be conservative and bought a very expensive .5" bit (12.7MM) and plunge to through all the holes. It took some considerable time and it fit, that is with one exception - the most off centre of the lot so, I went ahead with the clearance check and afterwards using two nuts to lock I sinstalled the problematic stud into the hole through the head. I've marked the top of that stud with an "X" using my mini-dermal as a future reminder which stud was problematic. I'll also make a note in my log book about the issue for the next owner - sometime after I've gone to the Big Show! The head still sits quite tight over the studs so I do not expect there will be any issues once the car is on the road.

This message was edited by gninow on 7-12-22 @ 4:43 PM

gninow
07-10-2022 @ 10:57 AM

I think I'll build a head puller for myself - would love to see an image of your puller. Cheers.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org