LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Discovery: Its a Standard!

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Discovery: Its a Standard! -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Ketronj281989
10-20-2020 @ 5:19 PM

I have been deep in book study and have been physically combing over the car quite a bit lately. I made a discovery I severely overlooked prior to purchase and now ownership of my 1936 Ford Touring Sedan.

On top of sporting a black steering column, black shift knob, three number trip odometer, lack of deluxe window garnish, lack of deluxe curved exterior door handles, I have discovered an issue with the rear tail lights. Take a look at the rear pass. side. Upon removal of the pass rear tail lamp, I found quite a few drilled holes.

With all of the newly found evidence stated above, I am of the opinion someone added the pass. tail-lamp a long time ago. With these new findings including those cosmetics mentioned above it would seem what I really have is a standard made into a deluxe a long time ago.

Could I please get your expert opinion and analysis? Findings will change how I proceed with service, cosmetic restoration.

Thanks,

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Tudor Touring Sedan

Barney
10-20-2020 @ 5:41 PM

I believe you arrived at the correct solution. My 1940 Standard has only one taillight. Also, it has only one sun visor.
Barney

3w2
10-20-2020 @ 6:18 PM
Senior

If you're going to drive the car at all, it is a heck of a lot safer with two tail lights than the single one it left the factory with.

39 Ken
10-21-2020 @ 4:40 AM

In addition to what 3w2 said regarding safety, you should know that your '36 may have been delivered with two tail lights. Two tailights were required on all cars in Pennsylvania and some other states as well. I don't know if it was a factory or dealer installation.

Also, since you plan on driving your '36 a fair amount, I would consider a third brake light (preferably an LED) mounted in the back window. Drivers these days don't seem to notice the lower brake lights (ask Supereal how he knows this), but they are more apt to see the bright LED's mounted up high. These "third brake lights" can be removed for show purposes. Here is a link to a supplier.

https://www.brakelighter.com/

I am enjoying your progress on your '36. All the best with it.

Ken

woodiewagon46
10-21-2020 @ 8:24 AM
Senior

39 Ken, thank you for posting the LED third brake light info. I'm going to purchase one for my '32 and one for my '46.

therunwaybehind
10-21-2020 @ 9:22 AM

Not wishing to go against all the emotion, yet, my grand father showed me the way. Dodge is who pioneered the brake light and especially the one in the middle of the trunk that appeared on the 1949, Dodge, Desoto and Plymouth. Ford and the Dodge Brothers parted company in the early days of Edsel as a partner in Ford as he grew up. For this reason I am also leery of the Walker Fords from Canada beginning in 1949.

Raising the value of the stock or investing in a new design? Don't guess, this is known. My grandfather always bought a new Ford big truck every 6 years but he subjected the panel truck to competition between Ford and Dodge every 6 years but three years out of synchronicity with the big truck buys. He owned a lot of Bethlehem Steel stock.

He kept 20 dollar pieces even after that was illegal and had a counterfeit silver dollar made of lead and plated with a hole he made in it with an ice pick. My grandmother had been cheated with it on her train trip to the Pan American Exhibition in 1915 in San Francisco. They got married after that when she came back after visiting Yellowstone and Glacier National Park.

At the Horace Dodge Meadowbrook mansion Classic Car Show one year (1998) I looked at the two very large clear blank rear lights on the bumper of a Duesenberg, "Where are the tail lights?" The owner standing nearby very angrily answered. "When you step on the brake a red set of letters lights up, 'STOP'"

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 10-21-20 @ 9:24 AM

JayChicago
10-21-2020 @ 3:08 PM

Jon
Vexing development. I know you wanted to eventually get your car to 100% correct, but now find you have a hybrid Standard/Deluxe.

If it was my car, I would just get it roadworthy and enjoy it as is for now, and deal with bringing it up to totally correct at some later date. Most all of our cars have been changed to varying degrees by previous owners in their 80+ year history. Doesn’t stop us from enjoying them. The changes are part of the car’s history. You can get into point judging, if you want, later.

Ketronj281989
10-22-2020 @ 12:58 PM

Thank you Barney. Someone had previously added a passenger side sun visor. Thank you for the information. Something I will need to address once I start on the interior.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989
10-22-2020 @ 12:59 PM

3w2,

I agree! Thank you for your input and response.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989
10-22-2020 @ 1:08 PM

Ken,

Thank you for your response, you bring up a great point. I know for a fact this car had remained in OH it's entire life. I don't know what OH law requires. If this were a factory or dealer installation, it was poorly done. The wire harness on the car is the factory original, the rear area where the taillights reside appears to had been updated and spliced into the original frame rail loom several decades ago. A previous owner could of installed it for safe driving, this merely my opinion though. LED's would be a good idea. Should I ask what happened Supereal?

Thank you for the comments on the 1936 servicing. Plenty more updates to come soon.

Jon Ketron

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org