LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1947 Super Deluxe Fordor

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1947 Super Deluxe Fordor

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

robertiford
07-12-2019 @ 5:25 AM

I'm looking for info on the front fender emblem that says "Super Deluxe". I believed it might have been used on the 1946 models and maybe some 1947 models (but which ones?). Where does it go (left front fender)?

therunwaybehind
07-12-2019 @ 8:55 AM

I have done some research on the early 1947 5-window which almost did not exist. You can find it's story in the Club's book if you dig into the timelines. Now it would probably have been a Deluxe and have that text in diagonal on the left front fender face under the headlight with no underline. It would be a 77A. It would have no side window surround trim like the 46 Super Deluxe. For a SuperDeluxe before the April facelift to the 1947 look it would probably be a Sedan Coupe and thus a 77B . Now it is time for the real expert to chime in as I have seen both Super then an underline then below that Deluxe on the front left fender under the headlight and SuperDeluxe with no underline in the midheight. Photos on the Internet are notoriously identified so find only outliers there. To be a 1947 title it would have to be after February. To have lever shocks and not direct acting tubulars it would have to be before the fall of 1947. My POV is owning a 1948 which had a 1946 rear bumper with the Ford script in an oval as a stamp and one 1947/48 hubcap and two 1946 hubcaps. It definitely had the fresh air heater duct that came late in 1947 and the tubular shocks and two Panhard bars front/rear and a track torsion bar in the front suspension. (Note: the apparent photos are my renders of my flat fender Ford 3D digital coupe model. I do have a Tudor but it is a late 1947 with the 1946 hood ornament and late smooth un redlined trim and a G series six that the Ford dealer wrecker driver gave me in 1965 to take a fender off after I hit a deer.)

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 7-12-19 @ 9:29 AM

47fordor
07-12-2019 @ 4:32 PM

Are you sure that you have a '47, and that it is supposed to have the "Super Deluxe" on the fender? The reason I'm asking is that the '46 did have it on the fender, but in '47 it was changed to a square(ish) badge on the front of the hood. Given that Ford was notorious for bringing out changes well into the new model year, I will never say that it is impossible to have a '47 with '46 characteristics, but it would be (I would say) a rarity. Of course, another possibility (if you don't know the car's history) is that you have a '47 with a '46 fender. The fenders are interchangeable from '41 through '48, with chrome being the only difference.

Chris

1942deluxe
07-12-2019 @ 5:34 PM

There are 3 versions of 1947 Ford. The earliest has the Super Deluxe emblem on the fender and looks like a 1946 Ford. Around March 1st of 1947 the version which has the emblem on the hood but no hood ornament (bull nose, they did exist. I had one). Shortly after they started putting the hood ornament on.

therunwaybehind
07-12-2019 @ 6:06 PM

and late in 1947 the cars received the 1948 style streamlined train with smoke streaming in clear plastic version of hood ornament instead of the flattened bird version. This knowledge for me was from a 1947 Sportsman I met in 2009. The owner had received it from his parents who bought it new and had owned it from when it was two until 60 years later.

therunwaybehind
07-12-2019 @ 9:19 PM

The fenders are not truly interchangeable between 1942-46 vs. 1947/48 as the earlier fenders have the holes for the trim above the crease and the later cars have the holes for the trim below the crease on the raised "arrow " of the fender. Also, the later cars have an additional rustless steel trim piece on the lower edge continuing the running board trim look forward.

therunwaybehind
07-12-2019 @ 9:26 PM

That hood ornament like a flattened bird also had a small detail piece in the nose or beak of the bird that had a square "6" or "8". Further the little shield in the cars with this that said "Super Deluxe" also had "6" or "8" in block form. The side trim of hood on the later 1947 with the smooth rustless steel trim in all places had a split on the front end. Some were oval or circular in section and others are triangular rounded edged in the sense of a "D" section with the top of the D pinched. My 1948 had shortened hood trim so I installed more correct full size pieces that had no splits. When I first came back to the hobby and went to the Troy Michigan Historic Society car inclusion to their annual open house an owner had a 47 Ford Fordor painted with a brush light blue. I did or snicker or act impolite but at some point I realized he did not have the circular section hood side rustless steel trim and his was thus put on upside down and it mattered. Unfortuanately my hot ability to analyze was as usual a bit slow. Later I realized he had only to unbolt both sides and grasping them in each hand widely flip roll the now assembly of two over like tipping over a wheel barrow and Oaulah! the trims would now be right side up on the opposite side from how they had been! So the triangular section trim can get you.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 7-12-19 @ 10:44 PM

supereal
07-13-2019 @ 10:22 AM
Senior

Anyone with, or interested in, the 1941-48 Fords, needs the great Club's book on everything you need to know, and more, about the Fords of those years. As the owner of a '47, I certainly found out about my car, and the fascinating post war years when changes were coming fast. Ford's policy was to use up all parts of those years, which made for some interesting combinations for those trying to restore their car "the way Henry made it". Ken Brown did a masterful and thorough job compiling this treasure of information.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org