Topic: 1947 Super Deluxe Fordor

robertiford    -- 07-12-2019 @ 5:25 AM
  I'm looking for info on the front fender emblem that says "Super Deluxe". I believed it might have been used on the 1946 models and maybe some 1947 models (but which ones?). Where does it go (left front fender)?

therunwaybehind    -- 07-12-2019 @ 8:55 AM
  I have done some research on the early 1947 5-window which almost did not exist. You can find it's story in the Club's book if you dig into the timelines. Now it would probably have been a Deluxe and have that text in diagonal on the left front fender face under the headlight with no underline. It would be a 77A. It would have no side window surround trim like the 46 Super Deluxe. For a SuperDeluxe before the April facelift to the 1947 look it would probably be a Sedan Coupe and thus a 77B . Now it is time for the real expert to chime in as I have seen both Super then an underline then below that Deluxe on the front left fender under the headlight and SuperDeluxe with no underline in the midheight. Photos on the Internet are notoriously identified so find only outliers there. To be a 1947 title it would have to be after February. To have lever shocks and not direct acting tubulars it would have to be before the fall of 1947. My POV is owning a 1948 which had a 1946 rear bumper with the Ford script in an oval as a stamp and one 1947/48 hubcap and two 1946 hubcaps. It definitely had the fresh air heater duct that came late in 1947 and the tubular shocks and two Panhard bars front/rear and a track torsion bar in the front suspension. (Note: the apparent photos are my renders of my flat fender Ford 3D digital coupe model. I do have a Tudor but it is a late 1947 with the 1946 hood ornament and late smooth un redlined trim and a G series six that the Ford dealer wrecker driver gave me in 1965 to take a fender off after I hit a deer.)

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 7-12-19 @ 9:29 AM

47fordor    -- 07-12-2019 @ 4:32 PM
  Are you sure that you have a '47, and that it is supposed to have the "Super Deluxe" on the fender? The reason I'm asking is that the '46 did have it on the fender, but in '47 it was changed to a square(ish) badge on the front of the hood. Given that Ford was notorious for bringing out changes well into the new model year, I will never say that it is impossible to have a '47 with '46 characteristics, but it would be (I would say) a rarity. Of course, another possibility (if you don't know the car's history) is that you have a '47 with a '46 fender. The fenders are interchangeable from '41 through '48, with chrome being the only difference.

Chris

1942deluxe    -- 07-12-2019 @ 5:34 PM
  There are 3 versions of 1947 Ford. The earliest has the Super Deluxe emblem on the fender and looks like a 1946 Ford. Around March 1st of 1947 the version which has the emblem on the hood but no hood ornament (bull nose, they did exist. I had one). Shortly after they started putting the hood ornament on.

therunwaybehind    -- 07-12-2019 @ 6:06 PM
  and late in 1947 the cars received the 1948 style streamlined train with smoke streaming in clear plastic version of hood ornament instead of the flattened bird version. This knowledge for me was from a 1947 Sportsman I met in 2009. The owner had received it from his parents who bought it new and had owned it from when it was two until 60 years later.

therunwaybehind    -- 07-12-2019 @ 9:19 PM
  The fenders are not truly interchangeable between 1942-46 vs. 1947/48 as the earlier fenders have the holes for the trim above the crease and the later cars have the holes for the trim below the crease on the raised "arrow " of the fender. Also, the later cars have an additional rustless steel trim piece on the lower edge continuing the running board trim look forward.

therunwaybehind    -- 07-12-2019 @ 9:26 PM
  That hood ornament like a flattened bird also had a small detail piece in the nose or beak of the bird that had a square "6" or "8". Further the little shield in the cars with this that said "Super Deluxe" also had "6" or "8" in block form. The side trim of hood on the later 1947 with the smooth rustless steel trim in all places had a split on the front end. Some were oval or circular in section and others are triangular rounded edged in the sense of a "D" section with the top of the D pinched. My 1948 had shortened hood trim so I installed more correct full size pieces that had no splits. When I first came back to the hobby and went to the Troy Michigan Historic Society car inclusion to their annual open house an owner had a 47 Ford Fordor painted with a brush light blue. I did or snicker or act impolite but at some point I realized he did not have the circular section hood side rustless steel trim and his was thus put on upside down and it mattered. Unfortuanately my hot ability to analyze was as usual a bit slow. Later I realized he had only to unbolt both sides and grasping them in each hand widely flip roll the now assembly of two over like tipping over a wheel barrow and Oaulah! the trims would now be right side up on the opposite side from how they had been! So the triangular section trim can get you.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 7-12-19 @ 10:44 PM

supereal    -- 07-13-2019 @ 10:22 AM
  Anyone with, or interested in, the 1941-48 Fords, needs the great Club's book on everything you need to know, and more, about the Fords of those years. As the owner of a '47, I certainly found out about my car, and the fascinating post war years when changes were coming fast. Ford's policy was to use up all parts of those years, which made for some interesting combinations for those trying to restore their car "the way Henry made it". Ken Brown did a masterful and thorough job compiling this treasure of information.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13054