LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Installing Door rubber seals

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Installing Door rubber seals -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

RAND
01-21-2014 @ 7:57 PM

I know this probably wont help you any...but saw it and thought of you..Randy

rotorwrench
12-28-2013 @ 6:26 AM

The rear end of the lower piece does go vertical in the OEM installation but the front end doesn't. It runs toward the inside of the car on a horizontal plane. Mine are deteriorated somewhat so I can't tell whether it wraps around the corner or lays flat along the bottom edge only. In order to tie in with the front vertical weather strip it can only go that way. The vertical strip is sort of squashed between the door and the A-pillar of the cowl on the inboard vertical door edge in order to clear the door check strap.

I will have to purchase a set in order to see what they look like and how well they will fit and work as compared to the originals.

az101st
12-26-2013 @ 5:40 PM

I have all the new seals and the wavy tin that holds the bottom seal where I'm stuck is on the bottom corners, see my attached picture. I'm thinking from your description that the seal must angle back and up on the bottom corners. I have placed it a dozen different ways and none of the ways I have placed it look right to me. Thanks everyone for the input greatly appreciated.

This message was edited by az101st on 12-26-13 @ 5:43 PM

rotorwrench
12-24-2013 @ 11:34 AM

All that I've ever seen are the crude drawings that are basically just like the Ford shoebox drawings.

On my 51 Mercs, the lower pieces look like they were a sponge rubber castings. The other that fits in the valley of the inner door surround looks like standard extruded rubber V-strip with a center lip that folds toward the outer edge of the door. The flat section of rubber that fits the front edge of the inner door between the bottom edge and the belt line appears to be a shallow U-extrusion that can lay flat under pressure. The front doors used little clips attached with a single screw to hold the edge of the lower sponge rubber section and up the rear edge of the door at each body line on the double lip V-extrusion up to the belt line for a total of three clips per door. The front bottom edge of the door is where the rubber takes a direction toward the inside along that front lower corner inboard from the wavy strip. It would've had to have been held with rubber cement or what we use now for contact weather strip adheasive (elephant snot is what I like to call it). I see no signs of nails or other clips there. The front vertical strip rides all the way up the inside forward edge of the door, waving around the dome lamp switch, till it reaches the belt line. From there it curves back into the valley along the outer door edge where it joins back up with the double lip V extrusion. The double lip V-extrusion is one piece from the belt line in front of of the vent window all the way around the rear door edge to the rear edge of the lower sponge rubber piece.The ends are all just butted against each other

That wavy tin strip of metal along the bottom holds the lower weather strip in place from front to rear of the lower door. They get rusted out badly in most cases and need to be replaced. Your welding skills will dictate how easy it is to replace them but the material is available in 40-inch sections from several suppliers.

The rear door is set up the same as the front but backwards due to the suicide door arrangement. The rear edge has either a nail or a solid clip that holds the strip in the elbow shaped area under the vent window. At the rear bottom it looks like a nail was used to hold it. These would be similar to the nails that hold the cowl seals. I need to yank the rubber off and look at it but I've been waiting till I have the doors removed and can take some pictures of it all to keep my memory intact.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 12-24-13 @ 11:37 AM

Big Red 51
12-23-2013 @ 3:04 AM

AZ, Dennis Carpenter makes these door seals and if you look in their catologe they have a fairly good picture of the 2 and 4 door seal location.
Don

rotorwrench
12-22-2013 @ 8:19 AM

Door seals are one of those things that I will have to be doing one of these days. A person can get the wavy tin strips that rust out on the door bottoms. I've heard that the seal kits for the 49/51 Mercs leave a bit to be desired plus most aren't made of the same compound that they once were. This can affect the door function if they are too hard. The kits I see have the separate bottom pieces with the 90 degree angles at each end front & rear. The upper piece just wraps all the way up & arround from front to back. The crazy things are expensive too. I hope they fit OK for you since I'll have a similar fate.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 12-24-13 @ 10:22 AM

az101st
12-18-2013 @ 6:15 PM

Thanks for the pic, but I can't make it out if it's not too much trouble a more clear pic would be great. I attached a pic of my 50 Merc, thanks Randy.

RAND
12-15-2013 @ 7:56 PM

I'm so sorry in getting back with you..I haven't been on the site for a while. sorry about the poor phone taken picture. If you would like a better one? just let me know and I'll get one for you with a legit camera. post a pic of your Merc if you can? we love pictures, Randy

az101st
12-09-2013 @ 1:20 PM

Greetings Randy have you had any luck with the door seal pictures?

az101st
12-03-2013 @ 1:32 PM

Thanks, yes I'm still looking for help if you post some pictures of the bottom corners of the doors it'll be a lot of help.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org