Topic: Installing Door rubber seals

az101st    -- 11-17-2013 @ 2:55 PM
  I'm trying to install the door rubber seals on my 1950 4dr Mercury and I'm completely baffled with the bottom corners of the doors, does anyone have a picture they can post so I can get an idea how they go? There were no seals when I got the care and the instructions for the seals I purchased are no help. Thanks for any input.

TomO    -- 11-20-2013 @ 10:45 AM
  I am sorry that I cannot help you with photos or a good description. Have you tried the V-8 Club's adviser?

Tom

az101st    -- 11-22-2013 @ 5:50 PM
  No I'm not aware of this help site how do I get to it?

supereal    -- 11-23-2013 @ 1:22 PM
  The advisor for 49-51 Mercury is Gene Napoliello. His e-mail is bhcf332@aol.com. If you prefer to write, his mail address is 169 Balsam Lane, Waterbury VT 05777. Gene is working on a Merc book for those years, and is seeking service bulletins that anyone may have. My collection of service bulletins end in '48, and cover Ford-Mercury-Lincoln. C&G lists a Merc shop manual as LM 4951, $80. 800/266-0470

This message was edited by supereal on 11-23-13 @ 1:28 PM

TomO    -- 11-25-2013 @ 8:15 AM
  He provides help for members of the Early Ford V-8 Club. You can join the Club on the Home Page of this site.

The Shop Manual does not have good photos of the door seals.

Tom

RAND    -- 11-28-2013 @ 6:34 PM
  I could take pictures of mine if your still looking?
Randy

az101st    -- 12-03-2013 @ 1:32 PM
  Thanks, yes I'm still looking for help if you post some pictures of the bottom corners of the doors it'll be a lot of help.

az101st    -- 12-09-2013 @ 1:20 PM
  Greetings Randy have you had any luck with the door seal pictures?

RAND    -- 12-15-2013 @ 7:56 PM
  I'm so sorry in getting back with you..I haven't been on the site for a while. sorry about the poor phone taken picture. If you would like a better one? just let me know and I'll get one for you with a legit camera. post a pic of your Merc if you can? we love pictures, Randy

az101st    -- 12-18-2013 @ 6:15 PM
  Thanks for the pic, but I can't make it out if it's not too much trouble a more clear pic would be great. I attached a pic of my 50 Merc, thanks Randy.

rotorwrench    -- 12-22-2013 @ 8:19 AM
  Door seals are one of those things that I will have to be doing one of these days. A person can get the wavy tin strips that rust out on the door bottoms. I've heard that the seal kits for the 49/51 Mercs leave a bit to be desired plus most aren't made of the same compound that they once were. This can affect the door function if they are too hard. The kits I see have the separate bottom pieces with the 90 degree angles at each end front & rear. The upper piece just wraps all the way up & arround from front to back. The crazy things are expensive too. I hope they fit OK for you since I'll have a similar fate.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 12-24-13 @ 10:22 AM

Big Red 51    -- 12-23-2013 @ 3:04 AM
  AZ, Dennis Carpenter makes these door seals and if you look in their catologe they have a fairly good picture of the 2 and 4 door seal location.
Don

rotorwrench    -- 12-24-2013 @ 11:34 AM
  All that I've ever seen are the crude drawings that are basically just like the Ford shoebox drawings.

On my 51 Mercs, the lower pieces look like they were a sponge rubber castings. The other that fits in the valley of the inner door surround looks like standard extruded rubber V-strip with a center lip that folds toward the outer edge of the door. The flat section of rubber that fits the front edge of the inner door between the bottom edge and the belt line appears to be a shallow U-extrusion that can lay flat under pressure. The front doors used little clips attached with a single screw to hold the edge of the lower sponge rubber section and up the rear edge of the door at each body line on the double lip V-extrusion up to the belt line for a total of three clips per door. The front bottom edge of the door is where the rubber takes a direction toward the inside along that front lower corner inboard from the wavy strip. It would've had to have been held with rubber cement or what we use now for contact weather strip adheasive (elephant snot is what I like to call it). I see no signs of nails or other clips there. The front vertical strip rides all the way up the inside forward edge of the door, waving around the dome lamp switch, till it reaches the belt line. From there it curves back into the valley along the outer door edge where it joins back up with the double lip V extrusion. The double lip V-extrusion is one piece from the belt line in front of of the vent window all the way around the rear door edge to the rear edge of the lower sponge rubber piece.The ends are all just butted against each other

That wavy tin strip of metal along the bottom holds the lower weather strip in place from front to rear of the lower door. They get rusted out badly in most cases and need to be replaced. Your welding skills will dictate how easy it is to replace them but the material is available in 40-inch sections from several suppliers.

The rear door is set up the same as the front but backwards due to the suicide door arrangement. The rear edge has either a nail or a solid clip that holds the strip in the elbow shaped area under the vent window. At the rear bottom it looks like a nail was used to hold it. These would be similar to the nails that hold the cowl seals. I need to yank the rubber off and look at it but I've been waiting till I have the doors removed and can take some pictures of it all to keep my memory intact.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 12-24-13 @ 11:37 AM

az101st    -- 12-26-2013 @ 5:40 PM
  I have all the new seals and the wavy tin that holds the bottom seal where I'm stuck is on the bottom corners, see my attached picture. I'm thinking from your description that the seal must angle back and up on the bottom corners. I have placed it a dozen different ways and none of the ways I have placed it look right to me. Thanks everyone for the input greatly appreciated.

This message was edited by az101st on 12-26-13 @ 5:43 PM

rotorwrench    -- 12-28-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  The rear end of the lower piece does go vertical in the OEM installation but the front end doesn't. It runs toward the inside of the car on a horizontal plane. Mine are deteriorated somewhat so I can't tell whether it wraps around the corner or lays flat along the bottom edge only. In order to tie in with the front vertical weather strip it can only go that way. The vertical strip is sort of squashed between the door and the A-pillar of the cowl on the inboard vertical door edge in order to clear the door check strap.

I will have to purchase a set in order to see what they look like and how well they will fit and work as compared to the originals.

RAND    -- 01-21-2014 @ 7:57 PM
  I know this probably wont help you any...but saw it and thought of you..Randy

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6720