LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Will not start when hot

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Will not start when hot -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

46merc
05-26-2013 @ 4:35 PM

I have a 1946 Merc 69m convertible which has a habit of being hard to start when hot in fact it will not start at all until left to cool down. It has plenty of battery and spark so appears to be in the fuel supply. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cause and how I can remedy this. Cheers Mike.

supereal
05-26-2013 @ 8:24 PM
Senior

Even though the spark appears OK, if you have an original, unrebuilt ignition coil, it is more than likely that is the cause of your problem. When they get hot, the intensity of the spark drops until the coil cools. You can test this by cooling the coil with an ice bag when you try to start it hot. We install a simple hot start circuit to offset the system voltage drop caused by the starter. I can post the instructions if you wish.

46merc
05-26-2013 @ 9:29 PM

Hey thanks for your prompt reply supereal. Yes I would appreciate your instructions for a hot start circuit. Cheers Mike.

supereal
05-26-2013 @ 10:01 PM
Senior

OK, Mike. I'm attaching the "quick start" instructions. It is a derivitive of a circuit used years ago by manufacturers to aid starting. Some used the start part of the ignition switch, others used a terminal on the starter solenoid. This was before solid state diodes came on the scene. The problem is that the starter, in drawing 100-200 amps, saps the battery to the point the coil is starved. The coil needs about 3 volts, and the starter can reduce it to the point that the coil fails to generate adequate spark. When the coil is heated, both by operation and under hood heat, this causes high internal resistance that further interferes with starting. This device costs almost nothing, but will aid in starting, hot or cold, if your coil is in good condition. If not, send it to Skip Haney for a rebuild. ALL old coils are bad.

TomO
05-27-2013 @ 5:38 PM
Senior

Before you install the hot start fix, check your spark. If you have 1/2" spark, the fix will not make a difference.

You may be flooding the engine due to a high float level or a power valve gasket leak. Try starting the car with the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor.

Tom

supereal
05-27-2013 @ 7:05 PM
Senior

If you want be sure, carry a clip lead. When the car won't start hot, clip the lead between the coil input and the battery. Checking voltage at the coil is tricky, as it is pulsed by the points, requiring a special (RMS) reading to determine the actual coil input when the starter is activated. If the car starts with the jumper in place, you have the answer. Check the spark plugs. If they are black, you have a fuel leak at the carb. If not, the spark is insufficient when the starter is running, my best bet.

46merc
06-06-2013 @ 7:53 PM

Thanks for the quick start diode instructions Supereal. Can I attach the other end of the wire (not the coil end) to the starter button or does it have to be attached to the starter motor. As the Coil is on the left hand side of the car and the starter motor on the other side it would look better if it was attached to the Starter button if possible. Or can it be attached to any hot wire on the firewall. Cheers Mike.

supereal
06-09-2013 @ 3:00 PM
Senior

The reason the quick start is fed by the starter side of the solenoid is to activate the boost only when the starter is energized. When the starter is off, it removes the full battery voltage to the coil. The diode is a "check valve" to prevent the regular coil feed from being applied to the starter. The device must be attached exactly as our instruction shows. For appearance, we conceal the wire across the firewall behind wires already there. The starter button only furnishes ground to activate the solenoid.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-9-13 @ 3:02 PM

46merc
06-09-2013 @ 8:33 PM

Many thanks for your words of wisdom. Will connect the diode as per instructions. Just on another matter I am about to replace a noisy bearing on the 6 Volt generator. Would you recommend doing anything else while I have it apart? Cheers Mike.

40 Coupe
06-13-2013 @ 3:16 AM
Senior

There should be no need to attach additional jumpers or special circuits for you car. The above are band aids and may help your car to start, due to a problem, but are not necessary for a properly operating vehicle, and do not FIX a problem. I too, like Tom, suggest a Carb. problem, you may want to have the Carb. rebuilt by someone with a lot of experience such as Charlie Schwindler, see V8 Times ad section. If you believe your spark is the problem have the coil tested and if the distributor has not been looked at in some time have it checked. Jim Lindner at Bubbas Hot Rod Shop does a good job, on the electricals for the ignition.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org