LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / New Member France 1941 Mercury

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: New Member France 1941 Mercury

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Jon Ben
09-09-2023 @ 3:12 AM

Hi to everyone, my name is Steve I am English and live in France.
I have a 1941 Mercury 8 I bought from California.
We have strict rules regarding historic vehicles and have to have exactly what was available from the factory when the vehicle was built.
The vehicle arrived without wipers and I bought an electric kit from the US and wanted to buy a wiper assembly. I have seen quite a few that state the kit is for 46-48 but will fit the 41 with alteration to the cowls. Does anyone know what is involved in the modifications please.
Regards Steve

ford38v8
09-09-2023 @ 8:06 PM
Senior

Hi Jon, Welcome to our Forum. What came from the factory for your Mercury 8 was a vacuum operated wiper motor made by Trico. They are available, and work very well when rebuilt correctly, which is not difficult. They have infinite speed control from very slow to fast, except while accelerating, when they go dead slow or stop, normal and nature of the beast.
I personally would choose the Trico rather than to modify your car to accept an aftermarket modern electric.

Alan

Jon Ben
09-10-2023 @ 3:12 AM

Hi thanks for that. Here in France we have a lot of rain plus I had to have some working for the test which we have every two years.
As it is difficult to get parts here I chose to get the electric motor from the US and use European parts from a local breakers yard. I got it wired and set up but as most of it was guess work when I started it up it only cleared around a third of the screen. So I decided that as I had the motor if I bought the wiper assembly plus blades then I wouldn't be using guess work it should all work correctly.
As I don't think I will find some original parts from someone splitting a car I looked at what was available and so the reason for my question as to how much work it will take to adapt it to fit.
Regards
Steve

Regards
Steve

TomO
09-11-2023 @ 7:13 PM
Senior

Steve, welcome to the Forum.

I don't understand exactly what you need to make the wipers work. There are kits for the 1941 Ford and Mercury available from some of the suppliers in the USA. I understand that you bought a kit for the 46-48 cars and have mounted it in your car.

You said that the wipers only cleaned about a third of the windshield. Did the sweep go almost to the center bar or stop well short of this point? Could you post a photo of the travel? Did you make sure that the motor was in the park (off) position before you installed the wiper blades?

The kits that I have seen require that the stock wiper towers and operating arms are in place and working. Are you missing those parts?

Please let us know the name of the vendor that supplied the kit. Please post photos of the windshield area that shows the wipers and an under dash photo showing the electric motor installed. A description of what parts you think are needed to make the kit work.

Tom

Jon Ben
09-13-2023 @ 3:00 AM

Hi Tom
Thanks for getting back to me. Just to clarify.
1. I bought the electric motor from Drakes.
2. I tried to make up the rest of the linkage (Pic 1) from spare steel and Citroen and Renault parts.
3. The motor is fitted (Pic 2 & 3)
4. Problem was the wipers did not travel far at all and looking at photos on page 3 of Drakes catalogue the ends were not correct.
5. I have asked Drakes of they do these parts but they only do the motors and the blades
6. The system that lots of people advertise is for the 46 to 48 and again if you look at page 3 of the drakes catalogue you can see the difference min does not have the rubber grommet type fittings.

Hope that's clearer and if anyone is parting a 1941 mercury and they have these parts I would be really pleased to purchase them.

Regards
Steve

Regards
Steve

Jon Ben
09-13-2023 @ 3:08 AM

Hi Everyone
Attached is picture of the car "Maud" as my wife has christened her as, to quote my wife she has a big bum just like my aunt Maud.

Regards
Steve

TomO
09-18-2023 @ 7:11 AM
Senior

I did a rear counter search and found a vendor that has new old stock pivot shafts in stock.
https://www.rearcounter.com/11A-17553-parts974769.html
https://www.rearcounter.com/11A-17552-parts974768.html

From the photos and description of your problem, it looks like the arms are too short. Install one arm and move it so that the wiper is about 1 inch from the center divider, turn the motor so that the operating arm is at the end of its travel and then measure the length needed. If the arm is too short, you will have to make another and there is no guarantee that it will work correctly. I would go with the NOS parts and get "Maud" on the road again.

Tom

Jon Ben
09-19-2023 @ 3:13 AM

Thanks for all your help Tom I'm going to follow up with these, what a wonderful site to have access to it does help if you have the parts numbers.
Is there anyone who has a parts list book do you think.
I will let you know how I go on with these two links
Regards
Steve

Regards
Steve

TomO
09-19-2023 @ 4:53 PM
Senior

Here is a link to a vendor that has the 1939-1948 Mercury Chassis Parts catalog for sale: https://www.biblio.com/book/mercury-chassis-parts-catalogue-1939-through/d/1547991984?aid=frg&gclid=CjwKCAjwjaWoBhAmEiwAXz8DBfooUQ0FIoH4bPIoCdeIBfXfBEzAvZa_j5kwRIe7Ep8ZQPndfo7tsBoC9eoQAvD_BwE

You might also find this CD worth while: https://www.detroitironis.com/1939-1948-ford-lincoln-mercury-factory-shop-manuals-cd.html

I have worn out 2 of the 1939-1948 Mercury Chassis Parts catalogs and am on my second set of the books on the CD. I would buy 6the CD, but my days of working on the cars are over.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org