LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / GAS GAUGE SENDER ACCESS HOLE

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: GAS GAUGE SENDER ACCESS HOLE

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

shoebox
10-04-2020 @ 8:48 AM

The trunk mat in my 39 Merc is all there, however so brittle that if lifted or removed it will become just pieces. That being said, I need to replace the gas gauge sender and am wondering if there is an access panel/hole in the trunk floor to get at the sender? Also, I have not checked the usual sources yet, but is the sender same as Ford? Thanks !

nelsb01
10-04-2020 @ 12:00 PM
Senior

There should be a small "trap door" (access) in the middle of your trunk.
It is a single screw and will allow access to the gas tank sending unit.

shoebox
10-04-2020 @ 3:28 PM

nelsbo1, Thanks for the info, I thought I could feel the panel you speak of through the mat, just wanted to make sure. Has anyone a recomendation for a source for a sender? I'm aware of the usual sources/catalogs however sometimes one place has a better product than others. Thanks again.

Scott

nelsb01
10-04-2020 @ 8:20 PM
Senior

First, dont give up on your sender until you test it out. Sometimes it is just the float that needs repair.
You can test the dash gauge by disconnecting the wire from the screw on top of the sending unit and then with ignition switch on, touch the wire to the chassis. Do this with a helper sitting in the drivers seat. When they tell you that the gauge is moving stop holding the wire to the chassis. If the dash gauge moves, then the problem is with the sending unit in the tank.
To test the sending unit you will have to remove it from the tank. Make sure that the battery is disconnected so that there is no chance of spark.
Once the sending unit is out of the tank you will be able to tell if the float has a leak. There are people that can repair original sending units. You will have to ask for names, as I do not know of anyone personally.
There are original replacement senders out in the market place. Reproduction ones have not been reviewed with alot of satisfaction. All Ford/Mercury 6v senders are the same except for the length of the rod to the float. You will notice that there is a clip that connects the float rod to the sender. If you can find a NOS or used sender that works, you can open the clip and use the float rod that is on your bad unit. The challenge will be finding another sending unit. They show up for sale every now and then.
Hope this helps.

carcrazy
10-04-2020 @ 8:50 PM
Senior

If you don't want to disturb the trunk floor mat but you want to access the sending unit, you can always remove fuel tank from the bottom of the car. This entails some work but will preserve your floor mat.

TomO
10-05-2020 @ 8:21 AM
Senior

I love your 39 Mercury. It looks like it is in great condition.

In addition to Bruce's comments:

To check the float, remove it from the sending unit and submerse it in a pan of water that was raised to the boiling point and then removed from the flame. If it has a leak, you will see a stream of bubbles coming from the float.

If the float is good and the sending unit does not register correctly on the dash gauge, the problem may be the contact points inside the unit. The top of the unit can be pried off and the contacts cleaned by spraying the contacts with tuner cleaner and operating the arm many times. Be careful of the fine hair like wires inside the unit. If you break one, it will have to be silver soldered.

The arm on the 39-40 Mercury is the same as the 41-48 Ford and Mercury. The P/N for these sending units is 99A-9275.

I don't know if the sending unit wire is long enough to allow you access to it if you drop the tank before disconnecting it. I have always disconnected the wire before dropping the tank.

I had an original 1965 Cutlass with a rubber trunk mat that was hard and brittle. I managed to remove it and lay it upside down on a piece of hardboard. Then I used Gorilla Tape to tape it together and to reinforce it. It saved the mat, but you could still see the cracks.

Tom

Rockfla
10-16-2020 @ 9:50 AM

Shoebox
I have the same issue with the front floor mat for my 39 Mercury........IF your mat is good enough you think you want to save it, get a piece of canvas OR some thin Neoprene sheet and some contact cement and cut it to the same size and use it to glue your mat too and stabilize it!!!!

shoebox
12-24-2020 @ 10:10 AM

I always want to express gratitude promptly when someone responds to a question I ask on a forum such as this. However with all that has gone on this year well, I missed the boat on this one. THANK YOU to all who provided input on both my gas gauge and trunk mat issues. I will be sliding something under the trunk mat and attempt to lift and remove and flip, then do the Gorilla tape to perhaps save it. I will be accessing the gauge sender from the top and diagnose as has been suggested. Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

TomO
12-25-2020 @ 7:30 AM
Senior

You can determine if the problem is the gauge or the sending unit by disconnecting the sending unit wire to the gauge, clip a test lead to the gauge post and ground, then turn on the ignition switch. If the gauge is good the needle will move towards full.

I like Rockfla's idea of gluing a piece of canvas to the back of the mat better than my solution of using Gorilla tape. It will do a better job of stabilizing the mat as it will not be just small areas reinforced as with the tape.

Clean the back of the mat with soap and water, then clean with denatured alcohol. Use 3M Rubber and Vinyl #80 Spray adhesive to attach the canvas to the rubber.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org