LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 1940 MH station Wagon

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 MH station Wagon -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
01-11-2010 @ 9:49 AM
Senior

I don't know of any casting numbers to define a 1940 block. I identify the 1938 to 1940 24 stud blocks by looking for the raised areas by the oil pan for the core plugs, the exhaust manifold mounting areas are about 3/8" thick compared to the 1/8" areas on the later blocks and the pencil test shown in the 40 Restoration Guide.

You are correct in relating the bore to the cu in size of the engine.

With Ford items, I have learned the hard way to never say "all" or "always". Most 221 and 239 cu in engines built in 1940 were sleeved. The sleeved engines were stamped HS on the machined surface of the block for the intake manifold.

You can bore a 221 cu in engine to 239 cu in in most cases. Your machine shop should check cylinder wall thickness and sleeve any cylinders that do not have sufficient wall thickness. If you can find a block that was not sleeved, that would be my preference for rebuilding. The rings will seat better and the cast iron will not wear as fast as the "tin can" sleeves used in 1939 and 1940.

Yes, the left and right heads had different P/Ns. The right hand (passenger side) head P/N is 81T-6049 and the left hand (drivers side) head is P/N 81T-6050.

Tom

chrismac
01-09-2010 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks for the details Tom. My block appears to be a post-1940 model because it has the raised deck where the intake mounts. I'd like to find a correct 1940 block. What casting # should I look for? Does the 3 3/16th bore equate to a 239 cid engine and 3 1/16th to 221 cid? I guess the 95hp engine requires the 3 3/16th bore. Were all 239 blocks in 1940 sleeved? Can a 3 1/6th block be bored to 3 3/16ths? As for the heads, I have two that are 81T-6049 castings. Should one be 6049 and the other 6050?
Thanks,
Chris

chrismac
01-09-2010 @ 6:51 PM

Alan,
The car is actually 2 cars; a very complete Marmon Herrington woodie that is totally clapped out; rotten wood, rusted out body, trashed interior, been outside for years. It is complete, just rough. The engine has been replaced with a later flathead. The transmission shift pattern data plate is still on the dash but the other MH emblems are gone. The hood has the holes where the oval badges were mounted. Axles, transfer case, springs, mounts, etc are all there. The other vehicle is a standard 1940 woodie; 2 wd. It is a good, running, original unrestored and fairly rust free driver. Good original wood. The plan is to use the body off the 2wd woodie to restore the MH woodie. The brakes on both vehicles are hydraulic. The carb on one a correct 91-99 but the other is different. I need to assemble a correct 1940 95hp engine since neither vehicle has the right block. The heads on the 2wd rig are 81T castings but both are 6049 and I think one should be 6049 and the other 6050. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Chris

chrismac
01-09-2010 @ 6:41 PM

will do, thanks!

TomO
01-05-2010 @ 9:04 AM
Senior

Chris, both the 3 3/16 and the 3 1/16 bore engines were sleeved in 39 and 40. I beleive that there were also some 239 cu.in and 221 cu. in. engines bult in 1939 without being sleeved. There may have been some 41 engines built without the raised deck for the intake manifold, also.

There is no difference in the external appearance of the 38-40 blocks that were sleeved and the blocks that were not sleeved. Sleeving the blocks was one of Ford's "Better Ideas". He thought that using thin steel sleeves that were easily replaced was better than having the owner pay for re-boring the block for over-sized pistons. The process did not require expensive machine shop tools and the stock pistons could be re-used.

The steel sleeves had a tendency to wear faster than the cast iron block, so these engines would burn oil and lose compression with less miles than the cast iron cylinder blocks. The sleeved blocks were discontinued in 1941.

The difference in the 81T, 81A and 99T heads was in the compression ratio. The 81T gave the same compression ratio with the 3 3/16 bore as the 81A heads gave with the 3 1/16 bore, 6.5:1. The 99T heads gave a 3 3/16 bore engine a 6.15:1 compression ratio.

The 239 cu. in. engine also had a different crankshaft than the 221 cu. in. engine with larger rod journals.

Tom

ford38v8
01-03-2010 @ 10:29 AM
Senior

Chris, my mistake, I forgot about the 4 speed transmission. No, this Alan is a Simpson, not a Darr.

The correct carburetor for a '40 is a 91-99. This isn't one of the changes found on a MH. How complete is your truck? Do you have all the parts but the engine? The suspension, transmission, dash plaque and hood side plaques? I'm not sure what they did in the way of brakes for a '40, but they did convert the mechanicals to hydraulic in the earlier models.

I agree with trj, get hold of Nick in California for the tough questions.

Alan

trjford8
01-03-2010 @ 8:15 AM
Senior

Chrismac, if you have a roster look up Nick Alexander in California. Nick had a large collection of woodies and he had 3 or 4 that were Marmon-Harrington units. He knew a lot about them.

chrismac
01-03-2010 @ 7:33 AM

Thanks for the info Tom. I want to restore this vehicle as accurately as possible which means finding or building a correct 95hp engine. The engine I have is out of a 2wd station wagon and is not sleeved so it probably is not a 3 3/16th bore. Was the only difference between the 85hp and 95hp engines in the bore and heads? How about the carb? What is the difference between the 81A and 81T heads; compression ratio?
Thanks!
Chris

chrismac
01-03-2010 @ 7:25 AM

Thanks for the info Alan. Any chance you are Alan Darr the 1940 Club Advisor?
MH replaced the standard Ford 3 speed with a truck 4 speed. I'll look on the transmission case but I bet it was not stamped with the frame number. Is there a Marmon Herrington expert in the club?
Thanks again!
Chris

TomO
01-01-2010 @ 6:53 AM
Senior

The correct block for a 1940 95 HP engine will have 99T stamped on the machined surface where the intake manifold mounts. It will be on the right front of the surface. The block is the same as the 85 HP engine, but was bored out to accept 3 3/16" sleeves and pistons.

The correct heads for the 95 HP engine are P/N 81T- 6049 and 81T-6050. The 99T prefix heads were used on the trucks, and the 81A heads were used on the 85 HP engines.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org