LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Mounting 40 Sed Delivery on 39 or 41 frame

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Mounting 40 Sed Delivery on 39 or 41 frame

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

will
11-13-2010 @ 6:28 PM

I have acquired a 40 sedan delivery project car and the frame has been altered to fit a sb Chevy. The X member has been cut and widened in the transmission area for an automatic and the stock pedal assembly has been removed. I want a flathead back in it. I have a line on a bare 39 frame and in looking in the green bible the cross members for a 39 and 40 have different part numbers. So the question is, what are the differences in the 39 and 40 frames that would hinder me from mounting the 40 body on the 39 frame? One more question, this delivery has a standard front end on it and a standard dash. I was told by a gentleman in St George that Ford never made a 40 standard delivery. So here is the question, did Ford produce a 40 standard delivery or not?

ford38v8
11-13-2010 @ 6:54 PM
Senior

Will, I'm not certain, but I think the only crossmember difference would be to accommodate the side shifter on the '40.

The guy at St George was correct. The '40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a DeLuxe. Unlike other years, the '40 was not offered in the standard version. If yours is original like that, it would be yet more reason why you should never say never when telling how Ford did things.

If you get the '39 frame, and for anyone else considering a frame swap, don't forget to address the serial number issue with the DMV.

Alan

kubes40
11-13-2010 @ 7:07 PM
Senior

Is this truly a Sedan Delivery or perhaps a panel truck?
The differences in passenger car frames of 39 - 40 are so minute, it would not effect what you are attempting to accomplish. If in fact you are attempting to mount a 1940 SEDAN DELIVERY on a 39 passenger car frame. Many 39's and 40's have been restored with incorrect frames - often without the owner knowing any difference.
Other than running (engineering changes),the front cross member of a 39 and 40 Ford are the same. The center section (X) is the same as far as mounts, etc. are concerned. the '39 frame has a 'droop' in the plate that is welded to the bottom where the 'X" comes together. A 40 plate is flat.
I can provide photos if desired.
The 'green bible' can be misleading at times.

trjford8
11-14-2010 @ 8:15 PM
Senior

Will, since you are buying a project you may be actually buying a 41 sedan delivery. The 41 was almost identical to the 40 except it used the 40 standard grille and 40 standard hood. The 41 hood had some extra trim on it. It also used the standard dash. Check the body and see if there is a recess for the gas fill pipe. If there is a recess it is a 41 sedan delivery body.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-15-10 @ 7:30 AM

TomO
11-15-2010 @ 8:07 AM
Senior

The panel delivery body has a raised area at the belt line and the sedan delivery does not.

Here is a drawing of the panel delivery from the sales brochure

Tom

TomO
11-15-2010 @ 8:08 AM
Senior

Here is a drawing of the Sedan Delivery body

Tom

will
11-16-2010 @ 10:30 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies to my questions. Your input has been quit helpful. To clarify, this is a Sedan Delivery. I don't have possession of the car yet so all I have is the title and some photos I took of it. I won't bring it home until late December. It has to be unearthed from storage. The husband has died; I am dealing with the wife. The husband favored 40 standards: 2 pick-ups, the delivery and a 40 deluxe convertible coupe which he put a standard front end on. So I don't know if this delivery had a deluxe front end on it when he got it or a standard. But here is where it gets very interesting. The title dated July 1974 states "year sold 40". So then I went to the VIN number on the title - the plot thickens - the serial number shows, according to Mac Van Pelt's transmission book that has serial numbers in it, the VIN number is 353+ thousand into model year 1941. trjford8 replied that 1941 had a gas filler neck recessed in the body. Mine does not have that. I will have to look behind the interior to see if it was changed. The only thing left to do when I get possession of the car is to look on the glass and see what the date of the bug says to determine which year the body is. Are there any other differences between the 40 and 41 bodies? I will retain the standard front end, which I prefer, and more than likey find trim pieces to make it a 41. One last question, the frame on a 41 sedan delivery, is it a left over 40 frame that the torque tube goes over the center cross member. I believe 41 through 48 passenger cars the torque tube goes through the cross member. Just curious. Thanks again, will

deluxe40
11-18-2010 @ 6:14 PM

Here's what Lorin Sorensen said about the '40 & '41 Deliveries in "The Commercial Fords": "The plain-styled 1938-39 models were slow sellers, so Ford stylists redesigned the Sedan Delivery body for 1940 and gave it the smart new Deluxe passenger car features.... With the '41 Sedan Deliveries, the designers utilized the same body and tried another styling idea. They took elements of the 1940 Standard passenger car and 1941 Pickup front-ends.... This too was designated a Deluxe model..."

Another thing to check is the stainless belt line trim. The '41 trim has a stair-stepped cross-section whereas the '40 has even ribs, all in the same plane (hard to describe in words).

stovebolt
01-16-2011 @ 6:15 AM

A panel delivery has two rear doors, the sedan delivery has one.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org