Topic: Mounting 40 Sed Delivery on 39 or 41 frame

will    -- 11-13-2010 @ 6:28 PM
  I have acquired a 40 sedan delivery project car and the frame has been altered to fit a sb Chevy. The X member has been cut and widened in the transmission area for an automatic and the stock pedal assembly has been removed. I want a flathead back in it. I have a line on a bare 39 frame and in looking in the green bible the cross members for a 39 and 40 have different part numbers. So the question is, what are the differences in the 39 and 40 frames that would hinder me from mounting the 40 body on the 39 frame? One more question, this delivery has a standard front end on it and a standard dash. I was told by a gentleman in St George that Ford never made a 40 standard delivery. So here is the question, did Ford produce a 40 standard delivery or not?

ford38v8    -- 11-13-2010 @ 6:54 PM
  Will, I'm not certain, but I think the only crossmember difference would be to accommodate the side shifter on the '40.

The guy at St George was correct. The '40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a DeLuxe. Unlike other years, the '40 was not offered in the standard version. If yours is original like that, it would be yet more reason why you should never say never when telling how Ford did things.

If you get the '39 frame, and for anyone else considering a frame swap, don't forget to address the serial number issue with the DMV.

Alan

kubes40    -- 11-13-2010 @ 7:07 PM
  Is this truly a Sedan Delivery or perhaps a panel truck?
The differences in passenger car frames of 39 - 40 are so minute, it would not effect what you are attempting to accomplish. If in fact you are attempting to mount a 1940 SEDAN DELIVERY on a 39 passenger car frame. Many 39's and 40's have been restored with incorrect frames - often without the owner knowing any difference.
Other than running (engineering changes),the front cross member of a 39 and 40 Ford are the same. The center section (X) is the same as far as mounts, etc. are concerned. the '39 frame has a 'droop' in the plate that is welded to the bottom where the 'X" comes together. A 40 plate is flat.
I can provide photos if desired.
The 'green bible' can be misleading at times.

trjford8    -- 11-14-2010 @ 8:15 PM
  Will, since you are buying a project you may be actually buying a 41 sedan delivery. The 41 was almost identical to the 40 except it used the 40 standard grille and 40 standard hood. The 41 hood had some extra trim on it. It also used the standard dash. Check the body and see if there is a recess for the gas fill pipe. If there is a recess it is a 41 sedan delivery body.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-15-10 @ 7:30 AM

TomO    -- 11-15-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  The panel delivery body has a raised area at the belt line and the sedan delivery does not.

Here is a drawing of the panel delivery from the sales brochure

Tom

TomO    -- 11-15-2010 @ 8:08 AM
  Here is a drawing of the Sedan Delivery body

Tom

will    -- 11-16-2010 @ 10:30 PM
  Thank you everyone for your replies to my questions. Your input has been quit helpful. To clarify, this is a Sedan Delivery. I don't have possession of the car yet so all I have is the title and some photos I took of it. I won't bring it home until late December. It has to be unearthed from storage. The husband has died; I am dealing with the wife. The husband favored 40 standards: 2 pick-ups, the delivery and a 40 deluxe convertible coupe which he put a standard front end on. So I don't know if this delivery had a deluxe front end on it when he got it or a standard. But here is where it gets very interesting. The title dated July 1974 states "year sold 40". So then I went to the VIN number on the title - the plot thickens - the serial number shows, according to Mac Van Pelt's transmission book that has serial numbers in it, the VIN number is 353+ thousand into model year 1941. trjford8 replied that 1941 had a gas filler neck recessed in the body. Mine does not have that. I will have to look behind the interior to see if it was changed. The only thing left to do when I get possession of the car is to look on the glass and see what the date of the bug says to determine which year the body is. Are there any other differences between the 40 and 41 bodies? I will retain the standard front end, which I prefer, and more than likey find trim pieces to make it a 41. One last question, the frame on a 41 sedan delivery, is it a left over 40 frame that the torque tube goes over the center cross member. I believe 41 through 48 passenger cars the torque tube goes through the cross member. Just curious. Thanks again, will

deluxe40    -- 11-18-2010 @ 6:14 PM
  Here's what Lorin Sorensen said about the '40 & '41 Deliveries in "The Commercial Fords": "The plain-styled 1938-39 models were slow sellers, so Ford stylists redesigned the Sedan Delivery body for 1940 and gave it the smart new Deluxe passenger car features.... With the '41 Sedan Deliveries, the designers utilized the same body and tried another styling idea. They took elements of the 1940 Standard passenger car and 1941 Pickup front-ends.... This too was designated a Deluxe model..."

Another thing to check is the stainless belt line trim. The '41 trim has a stair-stepped cross-section whereas the '40 has even ribs, all in the same plane (hard to describe in words).

stovebolt    -- 01-16-2011 @ 6:15 AM
  A panel delivery has two rear doors, the sedan delivery has one.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=2171