LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / windsheild bead

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: windsheild bead -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

beau
10-14-2010 @ 8:59 AM

Ok before I wear out my welcome here, let me explain, have a late 2dr Tudor with less than 65,000 mls , some time in the 80's someone put in seat covers and door panels , am up grading this car with a new upholstery ,,, now I recently aquired a barn find tudor that had a paint job back in the day but the interior wasn't touched and I am using this car as a guide. Now I have noticed a small welt bead at the bottom of the wind shield on the barn car but the other car doesn't have it , is this accurate and where can I get one, am taking alot of pictures of the interior to keep a record of this car.Thaks Beau

TomO
10-14-2010 @ 10:17 AM
Senior

Yes, there should be a piece of welting at the top of the dash as shown in your photo. You can purchase the correct type of welting from Roy Nacewicz.

Here is a link to his site.

I would encourage you to take as many photos as you can of these original cars, to help document the original factory assembly quirks.

Tom

kubes40
10-14-2010 @ 12:53 PM
Senior

Hey Beau, Don't worry about wearing out your welcome - that won't happen!
There is a piece welt that surrounds the entire windshield (inner) frame. The welt is a very dark maroon color and as TomO stated can be had from
Roy Nacewicz.
The ends of the welt terminate behind the rear view mirror as well as at the very bottom - directly beneath the center (metal)trim piece.
I can send detailed photos directly to you with your email address.
Best regards,
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-27-10 @ 8:11 AM

beau
10-14-2010 @ 7:40 PM

That would be greatly appreciated, as the barn find car appears to have had all the glass replaced some time in it's life, as you see in the picture that the welt only ran across the top of the dash, alway's looking for more details, Thanks beau
sheltongandss@windstream.net

kubes40
10-15-2010 @ 6:15 AM
Senior

I just sent two photos to your email address. Please confirm receipt.
Mike

beau
10-15-2010 @ 11:16 AM

Yes thank You, I sent you back a reply
Thanks Beau

TomO
10-18-2010 @ 8:44 AM
Senior

Mike, I would like to clarify our answers about the welting. I think that my answer covered the closed cars and your answer covers the open cars (convertible and station wagon). The closed cars did not require wrapping the molding because the headliner acted as anti-squeak along the top and sides.

The 1940 body parts catalog call for a 49 3/4" long piece of welting on the closed cars. That will not be enough to wrap around the the windshield molding, but it will be enough to go across the bottom of the windshield.

The open cars have 2 pieces of welting that are 57" long and will wrap each side of the windshield molding and meet in the middle.

The Mercury closed cars have a piece of welting 52" long and the open cars have 2 pieces 61.5" long.

The welting is the same color as the dash, Briarwood brown for standard, Monaida maroon for Deluxe and Sea Mist Metallic for Mercury.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-18-10 @ 8:46 AM

trjford8
10-26-2010 @ 8:30 PM
Senior

TomO, you are correct about the closed car welting. All the original cars that I have viewed only had the welting running along the top of the dash and it cuved up slightly at the ends of the garnish and ended about 1-2 inches above the dash. The converts had the welting all the way around the garnish moldings.

kubes40
10-27-2010 @ 8:21 AM
Senior

I have to respectfully disagree that the closed cars had the welting terminate at each side.
Also, there was as far as my experience has lent, only one color of welting supplied regardless of dash color. If you can provide proof that more than one color was supplied, I would like to see that. I am always willing to learn.
I have currently and have had in the past extremely low mileage '40 Fords. Each and every one had the complete circumference of the windshield frames 'wrapped'.
Mike

beau
10-27-2010 @ 11:41 AM

Now I can't verify if the windshield has been replaced or not , fogging of glass prevents me from finding any bugs on the windshields,, but here is a pic of the corner where the welt terminates at the A pillar and dash.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org