LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Identification Help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Identification Help -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

walterts68
08-27-2019 @ 9:46 AM

Hello All! I'm new here and so far I'm loving it. Bruce was already a big help with his quick response. I'm looking for some help with some of the production numbers and serial numbers on my 1940 Deluxe Sedan Delivery. There is information to be found out there but alot of it is conflicting. Does anyone know how to go about getting the "definative" answer on the questions below? I really appreciate any help I can get and look forward to learning this and more!
Thanks, Walt

1. What's the differences between the standard and deluxe models. Bruce already offered that the standard was cheaper, had less chrome, and a single tail light. Mine is obviously modified so are there other ways as well, i.e. serial numbers etc.?
2. What are the true production numbers, i.e. total sedan delivery's made, how many were standard and how many were deluxe models?
3. Were there more than just the standard and deluxe models? Bruce didn't think so unless there were any made for export but he didn't know and couldn't research due to being on the road.
4. Does anyone know if there is a way to see how many of each model there are still registered? This could be a big deal in my mind when it comes to overall value of either model.

carcrazy
08-27-2019 @ 10:31 AM
Senior

All 1940 Ford Sedan Deliveries were the Deluxe model. There were 4,886 of them built. This information comes from the George Dammann book "90 Years of Ford".

kubes40
08-27-2019 @ 12:01 PM
Senior

As has been advised, there were no so called "standard" models produced. In reality, these were called "Ford V8" models - not "standard". Regardless, only Deluxe models were produced.
How many remain? You are unlikely to ever get a decent approximation of that from any source.
Value? in reality, these have been going down in value for a number of years. Yes, we still see them advertised in the $50k+ range but they are not selling for that. Decent ones - by that I mean solid #3 vehicles can be had in the high "teens". Ya just have to look. Perfect? As in concourse 999 points? Much more difficult to find but again, not worth what they once were. I can only hazard a guess at the "top PROPERLY restored vehicle but would say a seller would be hard pressed and equally grateful to get $50ish.
There have been a number of modified '40 sedan deliveries offered in the past year. A few VERY well done could not reach $30k. Quite easy to ascertain there was most likely triple that invested in their builds. Still, investment has very little / nothing to do with value.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
08-27-2019 @ 5:51 PM
Senior

Walt, Mike Kubarth has given you the best info you can get. The 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was an unusual model in that it was made only in the DeLuxe configuration. And yes, for other body styles, and for other years as well, the designation of "Standard" was not used, as to quote Henry Ford himself, "There is nothing standard about a Ford car."

Alan

walterts68
08-28-2019 @ 6:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick response to my questions. It's confusing to read on this subject when you don't know exactly where to go. I mean just to use production numbers as an example, I've read from different sources anywhere between three thousand to nearly six thousand where produced. What's a fella to do for truely accurate information? Mike I appreciate the clarification on standard and deluxe. That's another thing though, why do you see that so often in reading about this particular year and model? It's crazy when you get back to these really old cars. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

ford38v8
08-28-2019 @ 10:52 AM
Senior

Walt, The word "Standard" is not used in reference to a Ford car as a trim level. It is only a descriptive term such as "base model". Further, the word itself was not to be used for that purpose at all, but rather, to use the designated trim level "Ford V8". As there have been literally hundreds of automobile manufacturers in the United States alone, each with their own trim level designations, it does stand to reason that the word "Standard" has likely been used as an trim level designation numerous times, but not from Ford.

Alan

40topless
10-08-2019 @ 9:43 AM

We have a 41 delivery. It has the standard grille. Standard hood with the waterfall hood trim. The 41 has a cut out from the factory where gas tank goes. It has 41 trim as well. The gauges are opposite colors than 40, not battery gauge an Amp gauge instead. Dash and window garnish moldings were woodgrain and the back door has an inspection cover inside in the center. Most people don't know the difference.

cpipp01@aol.com
10-22-2019 @ 6:49 AM

Someone forgot to tell the parts dept. see attached.

TomO
10-22-2019 @ 7:36 AM
Senior

What did they forget to tell the parts department?

Tom

ford38v8
10-22-2019 @ 10:44 AM
Senior

Tom,
cpipp01 refers to the pages he posted having reference to 'Standard' model fords. He makes a good point, and it very well may be that Henry Ford's directive to the Sales Department failed to be communicated to Parts, and even if it had, it would have been considerably more difficult to re-identify parts, which in some cases like upholstery, names of materials had been standardized for multiple users of their products.

Not unlike a fast food restaurants policy avoiding the identification of drinking glasses as Small, Medium, and Large in favor of Large, Jumbo, and Giant, Henry Ford said something like this: "There is no such thing as a Standard Ford" which I believe I read as a direct quote.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org