Topic: Identification Help

walterts68    -- 08-27-2019 @ 9:46 AM
  Hello All! I'm new here and so far I'm loving it. Bruce was already a big help with his quick response. I'm looking for some help with some of the production numbers and serial numbers on my 1940 Deluxe Sedan Delivery. There is information to be found out there but alot of it is conflicting. Does anyone know how to go about getting the "definative" answer on the questions below? I really appreciate any help I can get and look forward to learning this and more!
Thanks, Walt

1. What's the differences between the standard and deluxe models. Bruce already offered that the standard was cheaper, had less chrome, and a single tail light. Mine is obviously modified so are there other ways as well, i.e. serial numbers etc.?
2. What are the true production numbers, i.e. total sedan delivery's made, how many were standard and how many were deluxe models?
3. Were there more than just the standard and deluxe models? Bruce didn't think so unless there were any made for export but he didn't know and couldn't research due to being on the road.
4. Does anyone know if there is a way to see how many of each model there are still registered? This could be a big deal in my mind when it comes to overall value of either model.

carcrazy    -- 08-27-2019 @ 10:31 AM
  All 1940 Ford Sedan Deliveries were the Deluxe model. There were 4,886 of them built. This information comes from the George Dammann book "90 Years of Ford".

kubes40    -- 08-27-2019 @ 12:01 PM
  As has been advised, there were no so called "standard" models produced. In reality, these were called "Ford V8" models - not "standard". Regardless, only Deluxe models were produced.
How many remain? You are unlikely to ever get a decent approximation of that from any source.
Value? in reality, these have been going down in value for a number of years. Yes, we still see them advertised in the $50k+ range but they are not selling for that. Decent ones - by that I mean solid #3 vehicles can be had in the high "teens". Ya just have to look. Perfect? As in concourse 999 points? Much more difficult to find but again, not worth what they once were. I can only hazard a guess at the "top PROPERLY restored vehicle but would say a seller would be hard pressed and equally grateful to get $50ish.
There have been a number of modified '40 sedan deliveries offered in the past year. A few VERY well done could not reach $30k. Quite easy to ascertain there was most likely triple that invested in their builds. Still, investment has very little / nothing to do with value.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 08-27-2019 @ 5:51 PM
  Walt, Mike Kubarth has given you the best info you can get. The 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was an unusual model in that it was made only in the DeLuxe configuration. And yes, for other body styles, and for other years as well, the designation of "Standard" was not used, as to quote Henry Ford himself, "There is nothing standard about a Ford car."

Alan

walterts68    -- 08-28-2019 @ 6:43 AM
  Thanks everyone for the quick response to my questions. It's confusing to read on this subject when you don't know exactly where to go. I mean just to use production numbers as an example, I've read from different sources anywhere between three thousand to nearly six thousand where produced. What's a fella to do for truely accurate information? Mike I appreciate the clarification on standard and deluxe. That's another thing though, why do you see that so often in reading about this particular year and model? It's crazy when you get back to these really old cars. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

ford38v8    -- 08-28-2019 @ 10:52 AM
  Walt, The word "Standard" is not used in reference to a Ford car as a trim level. It is only a descriptive term such as "base model". Further, the word itself was not to be used for that purpose at all, but rather, to use the designated trim level "Ford V8". As there have been literally hundreds of automobile manufacturers in the United States alone, each with their own trim level designations, it does stand to reason that the word "Standard" has likely been used as an trim level designation numerous times, but not from Ford.

Alan

40topless    -- 10-08-2019 @ 9:43 AM
  We have a 41 delivery. It has the standard grille. Standard hood with the waterfall hood trim. The 41 has a cut out from the factory where gas tank goes. It has 41 trim as well. The gauges are opposite colors than 40, not battery gauge an Amp gauge instead. Dash and window garnish moldings were woodgrain and the back door has an inspection cover inside in the center. Most people don't know the difference.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 10-22-2019 @ 6:49 AM
  Someone forgot to tell the parts dept. see attached.

TomO    -- 10-22-2019 @ 7:36 AM
  What did they forget to tell the parts department?

Tom

ford38v8    -- 10-22-2019 @ 10:44 AM
  Tom,
cpipp01 refers to the pages he posted having reference to 'Standard' model fords. He makes a good point, and it very well may be that Henry Ford's directive to the Sales Department failed to be communicated to Parts, and even if it had, it would have been considerably more difficult to re-identify parts, which in some cases like upholstery, names of materials had been standardized for multiple users of their products.

Not unlike a fast food restaurants policy avoiding the identification of drinking glasses as Small, Medium, and Large in favor of Large, Jumbo, and Giant, Henry Ford said something like this: "There is no such thing as a Standard Ford" which I believe I read as a direct quote.

Alan

TomO    -- 10-23-2019 @ 4:00 PM
  Thanks Alan.

It sound like it time for me to hang it up, when I don't understand the obvious.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 10-23-2019 @ 4:12 PM
  dammit Tom, don't even think something like that.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13170