LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 95 HP Equipped 1940 Fords

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 95 HP Equipped 1940 Fords

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Lincoln
05-14-2010 @ 6:12 PM

Mike: I sent a message two days ago on this forum but evidently it did not get posted. Would ask you to look under General Discussion for the April 30 topic of "99A Conv." Question came up about whether the serial number stamped on the frame of a Factory built Mercury engine equipped Ford would be prefixed with a 99A or an 18. I think that they would have the 99A to go along with the sequence of the Mercury serial numbers which were unique to those engines.
You mentioned in the Sept-Oct 2009 V-8 TIMES that your car was also an original 95 HP 1940 Ford. How is your frame stamped?
Thanks for sharing this info.
Lincoln

kubes40
05-15-2010 @ 6:48 AM
Senior

I monitor the "New 1940 Ford Book" section on a near daily basis. I may miss '40 questions / concerns posted in the "General Discussion" area.
Okay, your question... this is going to be long answer to a short question. Unfortunately it may create more questions.
Here goes...
I have known of two documented '40 Fords with factory installed Merc engines. One was a convertible. It had prefix 18. The other is my coupe. It has a prefix of PC.
I have the papers with my car from day one. This includes (not limited to) the order letter to Ford from the dealer, the Telegram from Ford saying the car was ready to pick up and also the serial number. I also have the 'instruction' page that explained how the buyer should go about picking the car up at the Rotunda in Dearborn.
The 'questions' I have about my particular car...It was in the same family since new. There is nothing on the order page to indicate a Merc engine should be installed although there were other options indicated. From what research has been done thus far, Merc engines were (supposedly) not offered in Ford cars in 1940 except to documented Police Facilities.
So, how did this happen (my car)? From what I'd gleaned from the original (owner's) family no police affiliation ever.
My best guess is... judging from the documentation that came with this car the original owner knew the Ford dealer rather well. Perhaps a 'favor' was done to get this built this way. Much like what happened in the '60s and '70s with rare muscle cars. Some of them, you simply had to know someone to get it... NOT advertised. Could this have been the case in '40?
Sorry, I am not able to be more definitive. That's all we know at this point. If ANYONE can offer documentation in this subjects regard, it will be most appreciated!

ford38v8
05-15-2010 @ 5:02 PM
Senior

Mike, Your answer begs the question: Without any documentation for either of the two '40's with 95 hp engines that you know of, what evidence can be presented to show that these engines were in fact factory installed?
And please, what does your prefix PC represent?

Alan

supereal
05-16-2010 @ 10:16 AM
Senior

The apparent difference between Ford and Mercury engines was that from '37 thru '42, the Ford bore was 3.062 in. The bore for Mercury, from the beginning in '39, thru '48 was 3.187, which Ford then adopted in '44-'48. Given that the majority of cars of that era received replacement engines at some time, it is likely that a later short block was installed in your '40, making it seem to have a Merc engine from the beginning, absent better verification. I assume you have pulled the heads and measured the bore, in any case. Any non-standard stampings on a block were usually applied by an "authorized" Ford rebuilder.

kubes40
05-16-2010 @ 11:56 AM
Senior

Hi Supereal,
I always enjoy your input and have learned a few things from you along the way.
Okay... I do not have the documentation for the convertible. I had flown to Albany a number of years ago to inspect the car and it appeared by all points to be an authentic build. Still, no proof in my hands. I was not allowed to copy serial numbers, etc. I still know where the car is but have been unable to contact the owner for more than two years.
My car... I have paperwork going all the way back to "new", December, 1939. This includes what I've described above (earlier post) as well as a PILE of service receipts, etc. This car was kept and maintained by a very obsessive family. Then, once sold to me, it was restored by a very obsessive owner (me).
None of the sheets had shown the engine had been replaced. None had shown a valve job, ring job or other major work. Lots of receipts for the 'usual' stuff. All the numbers match on this car and it had appeared to never been apart before I got it.
I am aware of rebuilder's stamps on the blocks. None exist. This is a Merc bore engine. I am also acutely aware of signs that an engine has been replaced, etc.
I do not know what the PC prefix is indicative of. I have never found anything in the archives or elsewhere to explain it.
This one remains a mystery.
The archives does allow that Merc engines were in fact available after 1940 in police vehicles. Perhaps before?
Perhaps we will never know for certain. I will do my best to find information that may solve this...
PS, How about your email address so I can send you a copy of the purchase letter. You no doubt will find it interesting if nothing else.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-16-10 @ 11:59 AM

ford38v8
05-16-2010 @ 1:09 PM
Senior

Mike, Your unique documentation does seem to authenticate the engine by way of a lack of reference to a replacement engine, but I'll drag the subject out a bit further with some speculation: As the build sheet did not indicate a 95 hp engine, perhaps it was a mistake dating from when the engine assembly received its serial number. As your prefix is unusual, does the numeric series match either the Ford or the Merc series?

Personal contact with any registered Forum user can be made by replying to the PM button. It's never a good idea to post a personal email address on any public forum. Once contact is made, a private exchange of email addresses can be made.

Alan

supereal
05-17-2010 @ 9:10 AM
Senior

With Ford, anything is possible. Unless there was a connection to a Ford official, or a production mistake was made, it seems unlikely that a 3 3/16 engine would be factory installed, but not impossible. In Ford production, anything at hand would be used if needed. I don't know if Mercs were made in the same plant and line as the Fords, as they are today. Special ordering is routine today, with the Ford SHO, and GM COPO programs. Thanks for the kind words. You can post the receipt by scanning it into JPEG and using the Image Attachment feature below the reply page.

chrismac
10-02-2010 @ 12:44 PM

I have a 1940 Ford station wagon with Marmon Herrington 4wd conversion. The chassis number of this vehicle starts with 99. It was equiped with a Mercury V8 as most vehicles built with plans for the MH conversion were.
Thanks,
Chris

kubes40
10-02-2010 @ 2:01 PM
Senior

It seems that Ford would have prefixed the serial numbers of the vehicles with Mercury engines with "99". Did this always happen? Absolutely not.
There is much research to be done yet on this subject. I hope to solve this mystery at some point in the future.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org