LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Two Diff 39 design fender’s

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Two Diff 39 design fender’s

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

thunder road
08-28-2018 @ 7:52 AM

You have to wonder why Ford took out this beautiful shape on the earlier 1939 Ford Deluxe front fender. The one that I wish that Ford had built would be a 1940 Deluxe Coupe with mohair not stripped broad cloth interior, and deluxe 40 wood grain. It would have the early style 1939 deluxe front fenders and the 39 deluxe grill, and the 1939 deluxe headlight design, the 40 standard hood and it doesn’t matter whether it’s a 5 window, or a business coupe but it has to be black.

Domenic

ford38v8
08-28-2018 @ 10:34 AM
Senior

It was a cost savings change. Fat fenders were some of the most difficult designs to produce. Metal stamping dies don't last forever, and are extremely costly to make. Additionally, some stamped panels require extra metal finishing work even with newer dies, this perhaps being an example of both reasons to rework the old dies rather than to make new ones. With a trained eye, you can observe the auto industry's hard learned panel stamping education over the years, producing simpler and simpler stamped panels.

Alan

kubes40
08-28-2018 @ 6:02 PM
Senior

For the most part I tend to agree with my friend Alan.
We don't truly KNOW why Ford changed the design but the theory that it was cheaper to alter the form dies vs. building new ones is as good a theory as nearly any other.

Stamping dies with proper maintenance last a VERY long time - easily long enough to run a years worth of fender stampings.
Forming dies on the other hand tend to wear more rapidly. So, lending to the theory of "cost savings" - IF they wore to the point of "no reasonable return" they may have been modified vs. new dies built.

My gut tells me the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle. I'd surmise that forming that deeper draw
(early 39) was much more troublesome than simply removing that deep curve.
Most folks would never have noticed the difference between the two designs. In fact, I've noted former Dearborn status cars with one of each design fender. heck, if a judge or judges didn't catch it, would one expect John Q. Public to notice?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
08-28-2018 @ 6:22 PM
Senior

Mike, I hear your difference in terminology, and agree. Big difference between stamping and forming. And, I apologize for leaving the impression that what I said was established fact.

Alan

thunder road
08-29-2018 @ 4:27 AM

Both of your input makes sense. Get more use out of the dies. I don't know how they were able to make this fender out of one piece of metal? The steel reproduction ones that are made today, are made out of two pieces of metal, and the metal that they use for these sheet metal reproduction parts, and whole bodies, is softer than the original steel. But these repro parts due keep a lot of these cars on the road. The rear quarter panels on a 1959 Chevrolet passenger car, has the deepest draw out of any other panel that was made. The gauge of the steel used on a 1959 Chevrolet was thinner than the gauge steel used on a 1940 ford.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 8-29-18 @ 9:32 AM

kubes40
08-29-2018 @ 8:29 AM
Senior

Alan, my gosh man, NO apology necessary!

For as many years I had spent as tool maker, some of these old parts (the way they were made) continues to puzzle me.
Today, the technology makes many processes of tool making so much easier than decades ago. I won't bore any folks that aren't aware of drawing dies and the many things that are encounter in their designing and building. Leave it at "A LOT" of minute details to make things work correctly.

Deep draws / forms are especially difficult to produce on a huge scale. Just think, it took Ford until what, 1937? to figure out how to draw a roof section in one piece.

To add to my previous post: The more thought I've given this front fender design change the more I believe the dies were most likely replaced vs. modified. I also believe it most likely happened (design change) as the earlier style simply had 'too much" going on in the area questioned.

I can only imagine how often a tool maker was summoned to the fender die(s) to repair, polish, etc. that specific area. Although labor was quite reasonable in those days, that tool maker, when repairing a die, was not doing something else. Not least to mention, that press was "down" and as such costing time in production opportunity.

Alan is spot on in noting how automotive design has followed "simplicity" rather than style for a long time. It becomes even more obvious when one notes how much a Ford looks like a Chevy that looks like a BMW, etc. It's cheaper that way...more profit.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road
08-29-2018 @ 9:30 AM

Mike if the reason is because they thought that their was too much going on, than this point in time marks exactly when form over function became less important. They then must have felt that people didn't care that much about making a car a work of art, and more about costs. By the looks of everything that came after the 1940 ford , it seems that style and fancy looking cars didn.t return until 1955 for ford.

Domenic

kubes40
08-29-2018 @ 10:08 AM
Senior

Domenic,
Form over function is a very subjective matter. Unless of course this was discussed and determined by a board of directors.
The fender design? Who is to say which design is more appealing?
Fords were lower end cars built for the masses. As such, cost savings were critical.
Your example of the fenders is in my humble opinion not a good one of "form over function". Not many folks even realize(d) that the fenders were changed.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8
08-29-2018 @ 10:34 AM
Senior

Dominic, with all due respect, I think you may have confused the issues involved in the drawing of metal panels when you reference the 1959 Chevrolet and 1955 ford designs as deep draw examples. If I'm not mistaken, a deep draw means that the metal is stretched in multiple directions to achieve the desired effect. This causes problems in panel finish, as wrinkles develop, thinning, as rejects appear with tears, and of course wear and tear on the tooling. In addition, some designs may also include multiple die operations, meaning more machinery and labor involved per piece. The '59 Chevrolet that you reference had a deep fold in the rear panel (but it was not a draw, as I understand the term), and presented minimum difficulty to achieve.
Designs of not only body panels, but of all parts to be manufactured all undergo a feasibility analysis by the Engineering Department, which in turn signs off on designs. An early example of an Engineering influence of a design is the front fender of a 1941 Ford, which is made in two pieces, not the first such, but just one example. Modern cars have close to zero draws, as those complex curves are made of plastic, modern high strength steel being incapable of draw forming in the traditional sense.

Alan

thunder road
08-29-2018 @ 6:03 PM

Hey Alan , and Mike thanks for the input. Somewhere I read or heard that the 1959 Chevrolet passenger cars rear quarters had the biggest draw of any other panel made. I am not even sure of the differences between stamping or drawing when forming the panels. When you look under the rear fin of an original 1959 Chevrolet they did not even bother to finish off the leaded seam on the bottom of the fin. As you see the changes on the cars over the years it gives you some insight as to how competition helped to bring out the best. When someone came around the corner only to see a brand new 1955 Chevrolet two door hardtop for the first time, in two tone black and white , they must have thought they were on a other plant compared to what Chevrolet was making for many of the previous years.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 8-29-18 @ 6:09 PM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org