LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Mike orig. 40 picture

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Mike orig. 40 picture -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

thunder road
10-10-2017 @ 1:39 PM

Mike this is a picture of Mr. Norman R. Runk's original 1940 Ford Coupe. This number was spray painted on the drivers side division board in the trunk. This car is 100 percent original except for the rear fenders recently being repainted once. On my early 1940 deluxe coupe it seems to me that they cut both pieces of the Masonite board at the same time, and then flipped one over for the opposite side. The Masonite board has a different texture on both sides. Tomorrow I want to flip up the seat and see if I have the number on the inside.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 10-10-17 @ 1:49 PM

kubes40
10-10-2017 @ 4:31 PM
Senior

Domenic,
Odds are you are unlikely to find those numbers on your car.
The numbers were stenciled upon the top piece of a stack of panels for inventory control purposes. Once on the assembly line and that top piece installed to a coupe, the remainder of the stack would have no such number.
I find it interesting that the car you'd photographed has the part number suffix of 01A. Those panels were identical to 1939 and carried a prefix of 91A. There was no change to the part according to the drawings. There is no listing of that part with an 01A prefix that I was able to find.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-10-17 @ 4:39 PM

thunder road
10-10-2017 @ 6:13 PM

Mike you must have this stuff running thru your veins to know all that! I think about cars a lot too and when I learn something new it still makes my day. On my car a 44,500 mile original 1940 ford deluxe coupe with one re-paint in 1964 , the interior is all original, even the rear shelf, all of this is still good, the inner quarter panel press boards the saturated felt in the rear tail, and the firewall pad are mint. When I looked into the storage behind the seat it looks like they cut both division boards at the same time because one has the grain flipped. Maybe they cut many at the same time? Do you have any knowledge on this . They are definitely original and still have all the correct slot screws with black upholstery washers. Thanks Domenic

Domenic

ronford
10-10-2017 @ 7:58 PM

Mike
In thunder road's photo, the Jack Tag is attached to the
trunk hinge arm. Is this the original factory location?

I recently purchased an original 40 Deluxe that had the Jack Tag in this same location. Also, I think I remember a photo in the current
V8 Club 40 Book that shows the Jack Tag attached to the trunk hinge
arm.

Is there a preferred way to display the Jack Tag?
,Ron Phillips

thunder road
10-10-2017 @ 8:35 PM

Here's a picture of the whole trunk of that same car.
Note the original burlap bag that the tool kit came in . I also have this burlap bag that came with my cars tool kit. This car also has an accessory tire lock on the special spare nut that comes with the bevel provision for the lock. The main spare tire mount arms in my car go outward to the wheel wells, and the trunk inner structure has a big square cutout like on the 39 trunk, this is because I have an early 40. Lastly the spare tire jacking instructions came wire tied to the original jack which still retains it original green paint and looks like it was never used . Domenic
Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 10-10-17 @ 8:52 PM

ronford
10-11-2017 @ 11:51 AM

Domenic
Great photo of the trunk. I noticed that it has both style
lug wrenches -with extension and without extension.
I also have a 40 Deluxe Coupe with 39 style inner structure
trunk lid. The glass on this car is dated 11/39 and 12/39.
Thanks for posting the photo.
Ron Phillips

kubes40
10-11-2017 @ 12:55 PM
Senior

Ronford,
The lug wrench with engine turning crank extension were dealer optional (service pieces) for 1940 production vehicles. Thus, a person could have had both in the tool kit if he or she so desired and paid the additional cost.
To be clear, ONLY a lug wrench was supplied with the other hand tools in the "standard" tool kit.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-11-17 @ 1:01 PM

kubes40
10-11-2017 @ 1:00 PM
Senior

Thunder road,
OCD (obsessive - compulsive behavior) probably has more to do with this than anything else

I have no proof of how the panels were produced but having much experience in the production environment, I am comfortable suggesting that most likely many thousands of these panels were produced at one time and placed in inventory for their eventual need on the assembly line.
I also have little doubt that like the glass pieces, these panels were made identical and utilized right / left as needed. So, if the material was different on one side vs. the opposite side, once installed, that difference would be visually evident.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40
10-11-2017 @ 1:07 PM
Senior

Domenic,
From my research, it appears that the spare tire lock was no longer "standard" equipment for 1940 passenger cars. Rather, it would have been available only as a service part.
I found only ONE letter that might suggest (I believe with a great imagination) that these locks remained standard equipment in 1940. That was a price sheet of the various models and what that price included. It was a very early sheet, July, 1939 as I recall, that appeared to be little more than a late 1939 sheet "copied" with price changes listed accordingly.
My guess is someone overlooked the tire lock as "standard" equipment when typing up this sheet as subsequent letters had this piece eliminated from the description.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40
10-11-2017 @ 1:13 PM
Senior

Ronford,
I never found anything that dictated where that tag was to be attached / hung.
Most likely, it was determined at the assembly line level and as such could very well have varied from plant to plant.
I have found remnants of this tag hanging from the hinge in more than a couple of plausibly unmolested / unrestored cars. I've never found any signs of a tag "wired" to a bumper jack - not to suggest that didn't happen.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org