LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / Original 32 V8 Engines - Need/Value in the market?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Original 32 V8 Engines - Need/Value in the market? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Bored&Stroked
10-13-2015 @ 5:45 AM

New to this site, just joined the club at Hershey. I'm pondering building a couple original 32 V8 engines, with the correct intakes, distributors, fuel pumps, etc.. I want to have a 100% (or close as possible) example for my 32 Cabriolet - but may build 1 or 2 more at the same time. They are difficult, expensive and timely to build - with one-year only parts on all corners.

My $50 Question: Are people looking for these engines anymore? Does anybody care about running them and not just collecting them? In order to do this, the value has to be north of $10,000 or it isn't worth the time. Thanks!

This message was edited by Bored&Stroked on 10-13-15 @ 8:57 AM

CharlieStephens
10-13-2015 @ 9:56 AM
Senior

Who are you? I don’t think I have seen your name before. That would be one of my first questions. Can I go onto the Early Ford V8 Club site, fordbarn.com, GOOGLE and HAMB and search for your name and read good things about you that would make me trust you? Why should I trust you enough to pay $10K+ for an engine from you? Do they come with a guarantee? Are you an established business that I can count on to stand behind that guarantee? What was the block like you started with? How many engines have you built? If you are not going to be doing the machine work yourself then who is going to be doing it? Unless you can give good answers to these questions I don’t think I would step up for a $10K+ engine. On the other side I think your $10K+ number might be a reasonable number for your cost assuming you need to go out and buy everything and have it machined and were not just rebuilding something you already had. Then there is the market, I doubt there are that many restorations underway where people don’t already have an engine. Bottom line, my advice would be you should just build one engine for your car. If someone offered you an engine for your car for $10K what questions would you ask?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-13-15 @ 3:01 PM

ford38v8
10-13-2015 @ 2:55 PM
Senior

Charlie, Excellent answer, and good advice for anyone in the market for any engine build.

Alan

Pacos Paul
10-13-2015 @ 4:02 PM

That's right Charlie. It seems that a guy try's to run a honest ad and some scammer is trying to get him.I happens I know for a fact, a guy working for one of the big guys tried I with me. So Charlies right just build your engine and a lot of cars over the next 40 or 50 years then the people will know who you are and your good or bad reputation. Paul

Bored&Stroked
10-13-2015 @ 6:35 PM

Hey Charlie - all your questions and comments are good . . . exactly what anybody spending that type of money should be asking (most don't know to ask).

For the sake of this site, here are a couple links to I guess more properly introduce myself via some of my flathead work (most are performance oriented, seems to be what people want to read about):

Some of my threads on the HAMB:

1) Building a 1942 Merc Race Style Engine:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flatcab-1932-cabriolet-hot-1941-42-merc-flathead-build-updated-07-22-2015.862832/

2) Full-Flow Filter Idea:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/full-flow-traditional-oil-filter-last-nights-bright-idea.982979/#post-11075348

3) Flathead Geometry and Valve Angles - Facts With Drawings

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-drawing-key-dimensions-angles-and-validation.958100/

4) Flathead Cadillac Bonneville Motor - Porting

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-cadillac-porting-some-shots-of-metal-jewelry.597139/

5) Flathead Block Relieving - How To (Cadillac)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-block-relieving-for-high-performance-flow-how-to.596271/

6) Flathead Porting - Soup to Nuts

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-porting-soup-to-nuts-pictures-details-and-opinions.420484/

7) The Isky 505-A . . . a Fun Story

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-isky-cams-story-and-pictures-of-the-505-a-radius-cam.148794/

Okay . . . enough of my babble, hope that helps just a bit.

Take care and THANKS for the help.

Dale

This message was edited by Bored&Stroked on 10-13-15 @ 6:40 PM

Bored&Stroked
10-13-2015 @ 6:56 PM

If one were to look at the current costs and availability of true 32 V8 parts (distributor, fuel pump, oil pan, water pumps, etc) - I think it would be really difficult to locate/buy all the parts and actually have an engine built off of them for less than probably $15K.

I know that sounds like a lot (cause it is!), but I've walked that walk for the last two years and I have over $6000 in just raw parts . . . that is before I start any of the machine work and rebuilding processes.

It may not be worth even attempting to build any 32 V8 engines for anybody but myself. Just seems that if somebody really wants one - boy are they hard to find (just try to find a core engine) . . . then you have to find all the 32 specific parts to make it "correct".

Anyway, I may be totally wrong on this . . . maybe folks have all the 32 V8's they need, so this is a real waste to even ponder! But boy, do I love these engines and cars!

CharlieStephens
10-13-2015 @ 8:37 PM
Senior

Another problem would be that anyone spending that amount of money would want an engine that matches the production period of their car, early, mid, late and maybe a few more. Murphy's law says whatever you built the market would be for something else. I assume you have a copy of "The Early Ford Book" for all of that trivia?

Charlie Stephens

Bored&Stroked
10-14-2015 @ 12:06 PM

I've only recently got into 32's - and there is a ton to learn about them. I've already picked up a lot in the last 2 years and just ordered David Rehor's books. I'm sure it is a continuous learning process, but I'm on the right track.

Also (now this may be controversial) I believe a few improvements can be made to the overall engine, without ruining it. One - putting cam bearings in it would make a lot of sense (align bore, etc). Changing to the late 49-53 valve package would reduce valve stem wear and should provide a better oil sealing system. Running a late 49-53 oil pump - with a custom pickup (depending on pan and splash shields) . . . seems to make sense.

I realize that All of this is 'non-original', but it is internal to the engine, is a better setup and is the way that I will probably go. With that said, it may be 'sacrilege' to even think this way.

carcrazy
10-14-2015 @ 2:49 PM
Senior

Be very careful when putting the late ('49-'53) oil pump in the early flathead V8s. They have the early rope or slinger type of rear main seal. When running the later pump in these early engines they can develop severe oil leaks past the rear main bearing. If you don't plan to upgrade the rear main seal, my advice would be to stay with the earlier style oil pump.

Bored&Stroked
10-22-2015 @ 8:53 AM

This makes sense - too much volume flow out the bearing - it has to go somewhere. When you talk about an upgrade to the rear main seal, was wondering what that is and if somebody make that beast? I've seen the new front seals (single piece), but not something to replace a 32 stock rear main.

Thanks for your help.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org