LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / Fuel Problems

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Fuel Problems -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fordmaroon
02-05-2010 @ 9:56 AM

Having a problem getting fuel from the tank, to the fuel pump-I tested the pump out of a can of gas,sat lower then the pump and the gas flowed out fine! I was pumping it by hand so I know the pump is good I tried priming the bowel and still nothing comes out of the tank ,,-I put 10 Gallons of fuel in the tank when I hook up the pump to the fuel lines that go to the tank I get no fuel--What is stopping the fuel flow from the tank to the fuel pump??I"ve tried everything but dropping the tank--Does the sending unit have anything to do with the flow of fuel to the pump??? I"m really out of ideas,Also the pump piston is working-when I hook it up and hit the starter,I can see it moving up and down--Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated--Thanks Vince

ford38v8
02-05-2010 @ 10:43 AM
Senior

Vince, try blowing into the fuel line. you've likely got a hunk of debris that stops the flow. When it has cleared, try your pump again. It will happen again, so be prepared to replace your fuel line, and clean/seal your tank.

As a side note, install a fuel filter before the pump.

Alan

fordmaroon
02-05-2010 @ 1:05 PM

Thanks Alan--I did replace the fuel line and the guage line-I'm on my 2nd fuel pump-Cleaned out the tank before I re-installed it-Replaced the carburator-The only thing I didn't do was replace the sending unit-It looked like new --Now Im woundering if that unit
would stop the flow of Fuel into the Pump--To drop the tank now, I would have to remove the spare-The spreader bar,Both Fork Horns -Both tailights etc etc-I really dont want to do this again unless that is the culprit--Could that rod that works off the cam shaft, that controls the diafram be worn??How can I check it.?How far should that rod be moving up and down??It is moving when I hit the starter--Hair is getting grayer by the day--What a mystery?? Thanks (anyone) for any advise- Vince

ford38v8
02-05-2010 @ 4:48 PM
Senior

Vince, Cleaning the tank without sealing it is a never ending job. A 78 year old tank will have lost it's tern coating long ago, and the alcohol laced fuel we get today attracts moisture and induces rust. Everything that the fuel comes in contact with needs to be protected.

You do have a restriction in your line, even if new. Blow it back to the tank and you'll be good till next time it clogs.

The other possibility is your flex line. These are of rubber and collapse inside from the new fuel. There are new fuel resistant lines advertised in the V8 Times.

Alan

fordmaroon
02-10-2010 @ 5:36 AM

Alan-I blew air thru the line,back to the tank-When i sucked on the line(with my mouth)didn't know any other way--Fuel flowed out-Then I hooked up the fuel pump and worked it manually by hand-Fuel flowed out-Then when I hooked it to the motor,nothing happened-Then I removed the pump and added a spacer into the arm that pumps the diafram and reinstalled it and gas flowed out-Hooked it up to the carb
, and the engine started running-I think the rod that controls the pump was worn-the spacer seemed to move the rod up and down further-Now i am rebuiding the carb because the chock fins are not opening-But the car is running--feel better all ready--thanks for the in-put, i did everything you said-and its running-Vince

ford38v8
02-10-2010 @ 12:14 PM
Senior

Vince, Glad you got it running! You've isolated the problem, but with the spacer, you've fixed the symptom rather than the problem. Those spacers have been around forever, and are a temporary solution only.

The operating pushrod doesn't wear, but the fuel pump rocker arm does wear at the pivot point. This is where you've lost the pump action, in the slop at the pivot. You'll need to rebuild your pump with a new rocker arm.

Alan

fordmaroon
02-20-2010 @ 3:48 PM

Alan Ben busy digging out of this mess we got all week every day--Ordered a new fuel pump..Now I'm into re-wireing everything--Now lets see what problems I run into on this stage of the re-build--Thanks for the in-put on the fuel problem--Also added a filter between the pump and the Carb-Haven"t been able to run it much, because of the confined space Im working in.. Carbon Monoxide and me dont get along to well.. Again Thanks Vince

ford38v8
02-20-2010 @ 7:05 PM
Senior

Vince, because of the vulnerability of the fuel pump's valving, a fuel filter is best installed before rather than after the pump.

For your rewire job, be sure that all connectors are soldered rather than just crimped, and that bullets and terminus points are protected with dialectric grease, available everywhere.

I thought all V8ers started out sniffing their Dad's exhaust pipes. what gives with your peculiar allergy?

Alan

1932BB
02-21-2010 @ 11:15 AM

I have had trouble with the paper pleated type gas filters when installed before the fuel pump. They don't seem to work without significant pressure. Try a screen type before the fuel pump. A popular one looks like a glass tube and has a remeoveable and cleanable screen.

trjford8
02-21-2010 @ 6:28 PM
Senior

I avoid the glass tube type filters like the plague. If the glass happens to bump against metal it will break and you have an instant car fire. I know of two old cars that had car fires because of these filters. Also because of vibration they can unscrew and leak gas.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org