LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / 32 model B distributor

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 32 model B distributor -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Peterooster
03-18-2012 @ 4:22 PM

I need a new shaft for my 32 model B 4 cycl distributor, anyone know if they are available. Pete

supereal
03-18-2012 @ 5:21 PM
Senior

Check the Model A sites for four banger parts.

CharlieStephens
03-18-2012 @ 6:47 PM
Senior

Try Dave Renner (734) 428-8424.

Charlie Stephens

Manuel
04-03-2012 @ 12:08 AM

Is it the same as the Model A shaft?

Manuel in Oz

supereal
04-03-2012 @ 10:03 AM
Senior

The same 4 culinder distributor was used from 1928 thru 1934. That distributor uses a two piece shaft, so you need to know which parts you require. The part number for the lower shaft is B-12249. The upper shaft comes as an assembly, B-12170, and is tapped for the cam on the upper end. I don't believe the upper shaft is sold separately. At one time Obsolete Ford Parts sold a rebuild kit as A-12127-RK. I'm not sure they are still around. Their number was 800/654-3247. Replacement of a distributor shaft almost always requires new bushings, in every model. If they are not in the kit, they should be ordered separately.

3w2
04-03-2012 @ 7:04 PM
Senior

Sorry, but Model A and B distributors are significantly different from one another. The A distributor has manual spark advance and a internal condensor; the B distributor has centrifugal spark advance and a externally-mounted condensor. The cams are quite different from one another as is the breaker plate. About all that is common between the distributors are the points, the rotor and the small round top distributor cap. The shafts are not interchangeable.

supereal
04-03-2012 @ 8:23 PM
Senior

The green book shows the difference. The body is carried for the 28-34 period, but as noted, the upper shaft contains an advance mechanism, thus the difference in part numbers. I guess I wasn't as clear as I could be. The last shaft we replaced was made in our machine shop. Thereis almost a whole page in the green book, as we'll as a diagram.

3w2
04-04-2012 @ 5:37 PM
Senior

Sorry, but that's another strike against the "green book" as a reference source, which given that it was published 16 years after the fact is understandable, I guess.

The Model A (A-12130) and Model B (B-12130) distributor housings are not the same. In the period catalogues, the 1928-1932 or 1928-34 versions, for example, the application for A-12130 is listed as 1928-31 and that for B-12130 is 1932 or 1932-34 depending on the year of the catalogue. You can use a B distributor on a Model A, but you have to come up with a different ignition lock as the Model A lock cable will not fit into the Model B housing.

supereal
04-05-2012 @ 11:44 AM
Senior

The green book is a catalog of replacement parts, rather than original equipment. That is why the info and illustrations are sometimes at odds with the field. Usually, but not always, there is a notation in the book stating "no longer supplied", etc. I had several Model A's, and one '32 over the years, and locating parts, let alone of reasonable quality, was tough then, and I can only guess how tough today. We often made parts, rather than accept foreign repos. This has been an interesting discussion. The "cable lock" on the "A" distrbutors was not one of Ford's "better ideas". That is one good reason many A's carried B distributors.

Stroker
04-05-2012 @ 5:53 PM
Senior

This has been very informative. I only remember one un-molested model B in my youth,
and as I recall, it had a round distributor cap and "real" plug wires,instead of the model A style with the arms and flat brass secondary conductors. Am I dreaming, was this an aftermarket ignition? I used to race a model B-powered dragster in the late
50's, but we ran a Wico mag on that little beast, along with a 2-Port Reilly "F" head
and a "snotty" dose of nitromethane (98%+2% benzine).

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org