LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dropping oil pan

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dropping oil pan

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

joe b
08-16-2011 @ 7:26 PM

An old Ford mechanic told me that the oil pan on a flathead can be dropped with the engine in the car.The rear main seal can be replaced like this. I always was told that the engine or trans had to be removed to do this. True?

ford38v8
08-16-2011 @ 7:55 PM
Senior

Joe, it can be done, but nobody that has done it that way will ever do it again. The discomfort of working on your back withjunk falling in your face is only part of the story.

Alan

supereal
08-16-2011 @ 8:24 PM
Senior

Amen, Alan! The usual reason for wanting to replace the rear main crank seal is overfilling the oil pan. While many books say five quarts, without a filter, four is correct. Often, an oil leak at the rear of an engine is from a place other than the main seal, such as the oil pressure sender or the cover of the oil pump gears. We recommend a thorough cleaning of the engine to confirm where the leak originates. Pulling an engine is always the best way to replace the real seal, in any case. If the leak is from the hole in the bottom of the clutch housing, be sure it isn't gear oil instead of motor oil.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-17-2011 @ 5:16 AM
Senior

You did not say,how much oil is leaking ?
a little is normal, what year is engine,some might have a rope seal and some do not,
before you do anything,like super said make sure were oil leak is coming from,
is it parked on a incline , steep drive way ?
this also will cause it to leak,
overfull on oil ?
a clogged breather can cause pressure in the crankcase causing oil to come out,in the easiest place which is the rear main bearing,
my 3 cents of advice 37RAGTOPMAN
I would pull the pan in my 37 verus pulling the grill out and the radiator,and taking the chance of scratching the fenders,by pulling the engine out, it all depends if the car is restored or not, and at what stage if it already apart and you are just running in the drive way. the engine and it is leaking,

TomO
08-17-2011 @ 6:47 AM
Senior

Some years are easier than others to remove the pan with the engine in the car, but all of the 32-48 vehicles are difficult and I would not recommend that it be done. Removing the pan is the easy part, trying to install the pan and not have the rear pan seal fall into the pan is a real challenge.

Most engines built before 1946 did not have a rear main seal that was replaceable. They used an oil slinger on the crankshaft to control the oil that was fed to the rear main.

Tom

tbirdhandyman
08-30-2011 @ 7:03 PM

I just finished replaceing the front and rear seals on my 59AB engine with a 4" Mercury crank in my '41 Mercury. All I had to do to remove the engine pan while motor was in the car was to remove the exhaust crossover pipe, starter, and dip stick tube. There was no problem with the rear cork seal, as it was a press fit and could not fall out. I used a B-6700-R one piece seal on front, so I had to remove the fan, pulley, dist., and timing cover. The old pan had been bent during its lifetime, so I replaced it with a NOS '41 Mercury pan that I found. I had to remove the baffle, as this engine uses the short oil pump with the long pick up tube. This was my second pan replace ment on '41 cars, and I would never even think of pulling the engine out of the car. I must admit that I have a two-post lift in my hobby shop. The photo shows the front seal, and you can see the assembly grease that I used so it would go into the grove easily. It is so nice to park the car now and not leave oil on the ground. Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

joe b
08-31-2011 @ 6:33 AM

Thanks Tbirdhandyman. I have a friend with a lift and we will use it to drop the pan. Plan to do this in November when the show/touring season is over.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org